American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scenario balance
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:35 pm 
Gentlemen,

The club is set-up so that victory is not the overriding factor which I like); however, in some of the scenarios I have played, I have denied my opponent his objectives, severely damaged his army only to come out with a draw? I guess this may be due to the numberous scenarios included in each module. Any thoughts?

Capt. Lew Fisher[8D]
1/1/11 A Of A

Lew Fisher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:03 am 

Dear Captain Fisher,

I have also said in the past that most scenarios are not balanced and I almost got upset about it..... My train of thought has since changed that although I do wish to bring my boys to a victory, it's more important to me now as a player to have fun, give almost equal enjoyment to my opponent and as a commander to avoid those fatal errors that I tend to make. I find the game is more enjoyable this way.

Lt.Col. R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:19 am 

To some degree its the nature of the beast. The number of hours it would require for playtesters to verify balance on so many scenarios is prohibitive. Also some being historical situations are unbalanced by definition. Pickett just isn't going to take the hill. Scenarios that are part of a campaign are sometimes designed for failure since winning would make the campaign fail. A good example is Winchester II in CG. The Union will always lose this one with a Major Defeat. But the player must keep his eye on the campaign in this kind since the battle still affects it.

The club use to publish statistics on the win/tie/loss of the BG scenarios so you could tell which were the stinkers. Unfortunately for statistical analysis the number of scenarios has gotten to large to get meaningful numbers. Although it would be interesting to see the results on key scenarios that everyone plays like Historic Gettysburg, Brandy Station, etc. And it wouldn't hurt to come up with a list of short scenarios that people think are balanced, since they are handy to know for setting up turnaments.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message