American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:43 am 

Thanks,

I've sent my request through channels.

Al,

Yes I've got it now. Now I'm trying to get permission from the doctor to return to service.

I don't know about Gettysburg, but I'm sure it won't be long. I hope.

Rich

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />Rich,

Go to PROFILE you can put info into a signature block there. Then click that you want to use it all the time.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Capt. Richard Walker
AotM
Currently Hospitalized

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:05 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />When will Gettsyburg get this update?

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hey Al, let me know if you are resuming active status in the club. It would be good to have you back in the saddle for the AoC[:)]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:24 pm 

One interesting feature of the artillery capture optional rule I hadn't noticed before is that when you capture the guns, you also capture 3 rounds of ammunition which is added to your ammo pool. I didn't see that documented anywhere but I think it is a good feature. The only thing that bothers me about the artillery capture rule, and it is just quibbling, is that the capturing unit gets to fire the captured guns with no firepower penalty to the capturing unit. Otherwise, I think the new artillery rules are excellent. Good work on the part of Rich and John.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:39 am 

The new artillery rules look great, thanks. I can't wait to see them applied to all of the games in the ACW series.

Lt. Col. Bill Spitz
3rd Division
V Corps
Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:36 am 

Gentlemen,

Sticky Question. If you can capture an artillry piece and fire it with infantry without manning the gun, then why can you not do the same for your own uncrewed guns? Would be nice.

Lt Gen Joseph C. Mishurda

ImageImage

Lt General Joseph C. Mishurda,
"Killer Angels"
XXV Corps, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:58 pm 

Hey Rich,
First thanks for a great game, but I got a little problem. In the Shiloh game, I'm playing Ben Butler in Cavalry clash near Jackson, March 29, 1862 scn. 085JK. Its at hex 29,26. The problem is I have a cavalry unit on the bridge, but their dismounted and I can't get them to remount nor can they shot at the Yankees in the hex next to them. Don't know how this happened, cause to cross a bridge the units have to be either mounted or in column formation. Also they can't be seen because the bridge had a Reb flag for our VP. We're at turn 16 of 22. We're both updated to 1.02, it happened around turn 10. Again thanks for a great game and keep up the great work.

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani
26th NC Inf. Regt.
II Corp., 3rd Division AotM

"Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees" -Stonewall Jackson

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:26 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jmishurda</i>
<br />Gentlemen,

Sticky Question. If you can capture an artillry piece and fire it with infantry without manning the gun, then why can you not do the same for your own uncrewed guns? Would be nice.

You may recrew your own guns, with a undisrupted, unmoved infantry/cavalry unit that has a minimum of 25 men per gun. ONLY cavalry may recrew horse artillery.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:46 pm 

Could this have happened as a result of a melee? A defeated rebel dismounted cav forced to retreat onto the bridge. If this is not the case, tell me.

Later, I ran a test and concluded that I am correct. I sent a file to JT for debugging.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilertech</i>
<br />Hey Rich,
First thanks for a great game, but I got a little problem. In the Shiloh game, I'm playing Ben Butler in Cavalry clash near Jackson, March 29, 1862 scn. 085JK. Its at hex 29,26. The problem is I have a cavalry unit on the bridge, but their dismounted and I can't get them to remount nor can they shot at the Yankees in the hex next to them. Don't know how this happened, cause to cross a bridge the units have to be either mounted or in column formation. Also they can't be seen because the bridge had a Reb flag for our VP. We're at turn 16 of 22. We're both updated to 1.02, it happened around turn 10. Again thanks for a great game and keep up the great work.

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani
26th NC Inf. Regt.
II Corp., 3rd Division AotM

"Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees" -Stonewall Jackson

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Capt. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:27 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ernie Sands</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jmishurda</i>
<br />Gentlemen,

You may recrew your own guns, with a undisrupted, unmoved infantry/cavalry unit that has a minimum of 25 men per gun. ONLY cavalry may recrew horse artillery.

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

I think the point here is that you dont have to recrew captured artillery. All you have to do is have a unit in the same hex as the captured peice and you can fire it. It does seem a bit odd that you have to recrew your own guns but not captured ones.

Unless of course we are goining on the assumption that capturing the gun also captures the crew and you have convinced them to change sides.

Dan

BG D.H. Smith

EN/2IN/III Corps/AoA

http://sapper99.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:00 am 

I don't have the update, yet, so I don't have the notes, but is the effectiveness of captured batteries less than that of recrewed batteries?

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:47 am 
Ernie,
Not that I can tell. The only thing is once you capture the piece, if you don't leave at least a leader in the hex with the piece it reverts back to the original owner but uncrewed.

Dan

BG D.H. Smith

EN/2IN/III Corps/AoA

http://sapper99.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:03 am 

Hi,

When captured, the artillery morale goes to F and it fires at half rate. When it is recrewed, it stays at F but fires at full rate. That is my understanding anyway. Another interesting thing is if you spike a battery, it can be overrun without penalty like uncrewed artillery.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:54 am 

Your correct mike, also, you get 1/2 VPs for occupying a spiked battery hex. But if you move off, you lose the VPs. Any unit can be used to occupy the spiked arty hex to gain and keep the VPs

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />Hi,

When captured, the artillery morale goes to F and it fires at half rate. When it is recrewed, it stays at F but fires at full rate. That is my understanding anyway. Another interesting thing is if you spike a battery, it can be overrun without penalty like uncrewed artillery.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Capt. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:59 am 

One more thing about spiked arty. They can move as normal, but this will be changed in the next patch. They should not be able to move. Maybe consider this a house rule.

Rich

Capt. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:02 pm 

Hi, Rich,

If I might humbly suggest, don't bother with the change. Spiking, as I understand it, didn't affect the mobility of the gun, only its operation. If the spiked battery is overrun, it is uncrewed, and why would anyone want to recrew a spiked battery? On the other hand, if for some reason the enemy didn't overrun it, the owning player ought to be able to move it to safety. Anyway, just my $.02 worth.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA