American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bridge Repair
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:09 am 

I have a problem in the HPS games that I am playing....How can you get across the bridge after it has been repaired...Or is it ?..The command report states that the bridge has been repaired..A completed bridge appears in the hexes on the screen..Optional rule dialog box is checked...But when I try to cross the bridge the promt says that I can not move into a water hex...I know this topic has been discussed before..Any help will be appreciated...

Lt. Gen. John Dragan III/AoA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:27 am 

General Dragan,

I don't think I've been in a position to repair a bridge yet (so far I've been the one doing the destroying [:D] !), so I'm not familiar with the messages issued.

Did you just begin the repair process, or is the bridge fully repaired? I think the bridge has to be restored to a certain level before it can be used (1/4 of its original strength in order for infantry to use it, 1/2 for horses (cavalry or mounted officers), and 3/4 for artillery, if I remember correctly).

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - President & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:04 pm 

General Mallory, I do not know where to check the status of the repair...The units that were repairing the bridge are able to move and the repairing bridge label has been turned off by the computer...so do I have the same unit start repairing the bridge again until the crossing level is attained..I can have a very Merry Christmas if I can get behind those Yanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:29 pm 

Enginiers can repair bridges. Make sure the unit is in an exit hex of the bridge and facing the bridge. It cannot have moved during the turn, i.e. spent no movement points. Highlight the unit then find the pull down menu under COMMAND. There you will find REPAIR BRIDGES. The unit will begin to repair the bridge. In your report at the beginning of each turn you will be told how many bridge points was restored to the bridge.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:51 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Andale Mono"><font size="4">General Dragan Suh! <salute>

John, if you check the hex info box for the bridge hex you will see a bridge number at the top. Each turn that the bridge is under repair that number will go up. Sorry but I couldn't find the numbers required for each class of unit trying to cross the bridge!

Once the bridge is under repair it will appear whole on the map. But only after achieving a certain level of repair will it allow each class of unit to cross. Infantry is the first as it requires less of a repair that the other classes of units. Your Command report will state something like bridge under repair by listed units.

Hope this helps some!

Respectfully,

</font id="size4"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font color="orange"><font size="4">Nick Kunz
General
Commandant
Confederate States of America</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:41 pm 
When the update prompt shows up at the beginning of a turn, the "Bridge Repaired" comment does not mean that a bridge was fully and completely repaired, it means only that some progress was made. You might have only increased the bridge strength 2 points or you might have increased the strength by 15 points. That is all it means. You'd have to check each individual bridge to see how much was repaired. After that, you have to reach certain thresholds in order to cross. I believe that for Peninsula the numbers are 50 strength points for infantry, 100 for cavalry, and 150 for artillery and wagons. So you must leave your in column infantry unit next to the bridge in repair mode - which also means you cannot move it if you want them to keep working - no changing facing or moving into line, etc. Once the bridge strength has moved to the level you need it, then you can begin crossing units. Until then, it is still a work in progress.

Regards,

Brig. Gen. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA
VMI Training Staff

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:22 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by draganfly</i>
<br />I can have a very Merry Christmas if I can get behind those Yanks...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">John,
This isn't our game you are talking about is it?[:0] If it is you and it's the same bridge you were trying to fix before during the day then this only has a value of 23 at present and I'm aiming to keep on wrecking it as fast as you attempt to repair it! Merry Christmas indeed[:D]

Anyway here's what the Peninsula manual says (and the max bridge value is 200 for Peninsula):

Bridge Repair

By default, a bridge must have a nonzero strength before it can be crossed by units and any bridge that has been damaged cannot be repaired. When the optional Bridge Limit and Repair rule is in effect, there are two changes that occur.

The first change is that there are minimum strength values that the bridge must have to support movement depending on the type of unit. These values are based on the Maximum Bridge strength value determined by Parameter data.

· A bridge must have a strength of at least 1/4 the maximum to carry infantry units.

· A bridge must have a strength of at least 1/2 the maximum to carry cavalry units or leaders.

· A bridge must have a strength of at least 3/4 the maximum to carry artillery or supply wagons.

For example, if the maximum bridge strength is 200, then a bridge must have a strength value of 50 to carry infantry, 100 to carry cavalry or leaders, and 150 to carry artillery or supply wagons.

The second change is that it is possible to repair bridges using infantry or cavalry. You use the Repair Bridge option of the Command Menu in the main program to toggle the state of units that you want to repair a bridge. There are several requirements for this:

· The unit doing the repair must be in column and must be facing the bridge.

· The unit cannot be Disrupted or Routed.

· The unit cannot have moved, fired, or meleed in that turn.

At the beginning of each subsequent turn, a calculation is performed to determine how much repair is achieved. For each 100 men repairing, the Repair bridge parameter value is used to determine the gain in strength of the bridge. Once the bridge reaches the maximum strength, it cannot be repaired any further.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:32 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by draganfly</i>
<br />I can have a very Merry Christmas if I can get behind those Yanks...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">John,
This isn't our game you are talking about is it?[:0] If it is you and it's the same bridge you were trying to fix before during the day then this only has a value of 23 at present and I'm aiming to keep on wrecking it as fast as you attempt to repair it! Merry Christmas indeed[:D]
General Antony Barlow[/url]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

General Dragan,

One drawback to bridge repair/destruction -- you can melee a bridge to destroy it when you are in either line or column formation, but you must be in column formation to repair it. This gives an advantage to the defender.

My suggestion -- bring up a few batteries to support the repair work! :-)

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - President & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:29 pm 

Gentlemen, At this time I would like to thank all for your input... Your advise shall be put to good use in my battles....General Barlow...I am presently in 10 engaugements...The information that you gave I promise, promise, promise I will not use against you in our battle...That is if you believe this God fearing low life gutter slut scumbag...