American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:43 am 

Has anyone seen this crazy error. I am playing an HPS GB battle called Raid on Stephenson's Depot...some homebrewed thing. We played the first 5 or 6 turns and then everytime Jan returned the file to me I would get this error message from Microsoft thus:

I would open the file in the game
It would ask for the Union Password
Then ask me if I want to see the Rebel Replay
The error comes up when I say "OK" to the replay.

We have tried several times zipped and unzipped. We started all over at least three times...fresh...meaning re-setup the scenario and changed the name...and it always comes up.

I do not think it is my computer or plaform as I am playing three other people in HPS Campgaign Gettysburg and this error has NEVER occurred in the many turns with three other players?

Driving us crazy. I thought maybe Jan was not runnng the latest patch but we are both v 1.01, but I don't think one gets this error for that anyway...I think the error you get if the verisons are not the same is something like "error loading replay."

At this point we are giving up on trying to play one another..oh..I would suspect that the homebrewed scenario is corrupt but as I said, we were five or so turns into it when this started to occur....

Ernie? Notso? Other IT experts out there...any clues?

Thank You,
Tom

LtCol.Tom Ciampa
2nd Bgde,1st Cav
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN,BR, GB,SH - HPS: GB, SH

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:35 am 

Do both of you have the latest version of GB?

Both players delete the PBEMAIL.XXX and .YYY files.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 pm 
Gen. Kunz and I are playing this same scenario but only on turn 4. Will have to keep an eye out for this!
Fld.Lt.G.L.Caverly
4/2/2 AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:17 pm 

Thanks Ernie....will try that.

Tom

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ernie Sands</i>
<br />Do both of you have the latest version of GB?

Both players delete the PBEMAIL.XXX and .YYY files.

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LtCol.Tom Ciampa
2nd Bgde,1st Cav
XIV Corps, AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 am 
I have gotten that error message a lot with Yahoo Messenger and Internet Explorer in the past, plus a broad spectrum of other programs....I am guessing, but I think it is likely a Windows error more than the specific program....Not my area of expertise either, but a common experience....It has not been a big inconvenience though as it is solved by simply closing and restarting the program......once in a great while, a hard boot is neccessary....Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:51 am 

Thanks to all. We are trying all suggestions. And I did write to HPS but haven't heard an explanation yet if they have seen it. Also note that I have never gotten this message before resulting in closing any program that I can recall. It only happens trying to open this one fellow's pbem file. Tried them all...deleting xxx yyy, cold reboot, checked version of CampGB...we are both running 1.01 the latest update, restarted the game from the beginning with an entirely new set up...have tried NOT zipping AND zipping...it ONLY happens with this one player. <font color="red">The only thing I haven't tried is starting a DIFFERENT BATTLE with him.</font id="red"> This Stephenson's Raid is some homebrewed scenario though I don't see what difference that should make and as I said we got through about five turns before the error appeared.

Thanks again to all.

LtCol.Tom Ciampa
2nd Bgde,1st Cav
XIV Corps, AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:41 am 

Also, make sure the files are being ZIPPED.

The error message is a very common message format generated when programs do crash.

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:52 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
<br />Thanks to all. We are trying all suggestions. And I did write to HPS but haven't heard an explanation yet if they have seen it. Also note that I have never gotten this message before resulting in closing any program that I can recall. It only happens trying to open this one fellow's pbem file. Tried them all...deleting xxx yyy, cold reboot, checked version of CampGB...we are both running 1.01 the latest update, restarted the game from the beginning with an entirely new set up...have tried NOT zipping AND zipping...it ONLY happens with this one player. <font color="red">The only thing I haven't tried is starting a DIFFERENT BATTLE with him.</font id="red"> This Stephenson's Raid is some homebrewed scenario though I don't see what difference that should make and as I said we got through about five turns before the error appeared.

Thanks again to all.

LtCol.Tom Ciampa
2nd Bgde,1st Cav
XIV Corps, AoC
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The message is the standard Microsoft XP crash dialog. At one time you could send the file to Microsoft and they might even reply but no more. It is routed to the recycle bin.[:D]

You probably won't get much help from HPS is it's a homemade scenario. I would try playing a short standard scenario with the other player to verify that neither you has corrupted files. If this works its probably something wrong with the scenario. If you can't run a standard scenario one you probably need to reinstall the game.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)