American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:55 pm 

Gentlemen,

I seem to have a problem. I was told that if you exited all your troops off the map then the game would automaticly end. Well I am in the tail end of a Shiloh Campaign Mill Springs Day two. It is a mirror match so I have the Rebs. I decided to exit all my troops off the map before my opponent could take the objective hexes on my side of the river. Well, after exiting my last troops the game continued on.... it is now the second turn since exiting and me with no troops, my opponent wants to take the easy objectives and claim a Major victory in stead of a minor. If I had know I would have set up an ambush at the river crossing and given him something to think about. I requested a termination bid. Why didn't the game end as I was told it would?

Lt Gen Joseph C. Mishurda

ImageImage

Lt General Joseph C. Mishurda,
"Killer Angels"
VI Corps, AoS, USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:24 pm 

I'd give you a Minor & ask for a rematch....

<center> <font color="red"> Major General Tom Phillips
</font id="red"> <b> <font color="orange"> II Corps Artillery
Army of Alabama</font id="orange"> </b></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:28 pm 

Do you have reinforcements due to arrive?

Lt Gen Ned Simms
XIX/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:39 pm 

Lt Gen Ned Simms,

No, it is turn 52 when I exited, and the game ends at 64. No more troops to arrive.

Killer Angles
VI Corps, AoS, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:10 pm 

Whoever told you that was mistaken. Was it your opponent? LOL! I should try that. HEHE

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jmishurda</i>
<br />Gentlemen,

I seem to have a problem. I was told that if you exited all your troops off the map then the game would automaticly end. Well I am in the tail end of a Shiloh Campaign Mill Springs Day two. It is a mirror match so I have the Rebs. I decided to exit all my troops off the map before my opponent could take the objective hexes on my side of the river. Well, after exiting my last troops the game continued on.... it is now the second turn since exiting and me with no troops, my opponent wants to take the easy objectives and claim a Major victory in stead of a minor. If I had know I would have set up an ambush at the river crossing and given him something to think about. I requested a termination bid. Why didn't the game end as I was told it would?

ImageImage

"Killer Angels"
VI Corps, AoS, USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:48 pm 

I was paid handsomely.

I would swear that I've marched all of my troops off the map in a HPS Gettysburg campaign game (without a designated exit hex) and the game ended in a draw when my last unit for the battle departed, and there were VP hexes still available to be taken. The draw was because the point total in the game at the time that the last unit departed was at a draw.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
XIX/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:00 pm 

I remember in Campaign Corinth when my opponent exited the map the scenario stopped. That was Iuka in a campaign game though, not a stand alone scenario. Back when the club was young, Yanks would get peeved when the Rebs at BG Shiloh would kick their butts all over the battlefield on the first day, then withdraw from the map during the night. Personally, I thought it was the sensible thing to do, as the Rebs were usually at high fatigue and low ammunition. It led the club to institute a rule which is still on the books that penalizes the side that abandons the field before the end of a game two victory levels. Some folks later put some high value victory hexes near the reb map edge so that a reb that abandoned the field would lose more victory points than he gained from steamrolling the Yanks. IMHO, that is a much more sensible solution. Anyway, I think if one side withdraws all his units from the map, the game ought to end and the side still on the map ought to get all the objective points. Only seems fair.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:22 pm 

In my mind, there are many reasons to allow withdrawals, but one thing is certain, if the house rules force you to stay and be destroyed, then the house rules are flawed.

On the other hand, I wouldn't withdraw for the sole purpose of preserving a victory.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />I personally think that the only time leaving the board is kosher is when you are running like the dickens in a campaign game.

My thought was that the only time that the game wouldnt keep playing is when you put in a Term Bid and its accepted. Other than the other guy should be able to move and take the objectives. I see nothing wrong with that.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:23 am 

I think if one is withdrawing off the map while engaged and lsoing there has to be a penalty as there is no opportunity for pursuit. If in a camapaign and not engaged the player should be free to withdraw and the game end at no worse than a draw for the other player..

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:14 am 
I might be mistaken, but I think the only time a campaign game would end automatically after exiting troops is in those scenarios that are designed specifically for that purpose where you have indicated exit hexes that provide points for each unit that exits the map on that exit hex. The entire point of those scenarios is to get your army to those exit hexes and exit - usually a pursuit scenario where part of one army is try to escape from the other army and the escapee earns points by escaping, not by holding objectives. In a "normal" battle where holding objectives is the object, then exiting your troops will not end anything because there are no "exit" hexes designated that earn you points for exiting.

Clear as mud? Good.

I have no problem with abandoning the field in a campaign because the scenarios are linked - why be forced to stand and have part of your army destroyed in an uneven contest at the beginning of a 10 battle campaign just because of a house rule that was in place when there were no campaigns? Live to fight another day.

Regards,

Brig. Gen. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA
VMI Training Staff

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:46 am 

That'll steam ya!

Hope we get to the correct answer?!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:33 am 

Just so everyone is clear, <u><b><i>A GAME WILL NOT END AUTOMATICALLY</i></b></u>, unless a termination bid is accepted. A campaign game plays no differently than a stand alone. A game will continue even if both sides have NO units on the map.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:44 am 

Lt. Col. Richard Walker,

Thank you Sir, I was ill informed. Will make a mental note and take corrective action in the future. The campaing scenario is one where the Union forces far out numbers the Confederate forces and is one of my favorite as a Union man. I rearly take the game beyond one day as a Union Player, as I do not wish to spend the second day beating the brush for routed Rebs. This was my first experience as the Reb player in this engagement and I was trying to save my forces for another day and preserve a minor defeat.

ImageImage

"Killer Angels"
VI Corps, AoS, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:01 pm 

"opportunity for pursuit"

This is why I like using very large maps.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!