American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Points for Spiking Guns?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:57 pm 

How does this work? I capture the guns, do I get any points? Then, once the guns are captured and I spike them, do I get any additional points? Once the guns are captured, can they be recaptured? Are points awarded or deducted for recapturing guns?

BG Ken 'Muddy' Jones
1/1/XXIII Army of Ohio
USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:31 pm 

If I have it right you get points for captured guns just like you would if you had destroyed them. If you spike them and continue to hold them you only get half the points. The guns can be recaptured and the points lost.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
West Point Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:56 pm 

Hi,

If you capture the guns, you have to hold them to get points. I think even a leader can hold them.

If you spike them and hold them, you get half the points and the guns can't be recrewed in that scenario.

Any time you do not physically occupy captured guns, they revert to the original owner. I believe that means in a campaign scenario any captured battery not physically occupied comes back in the next scenario at full strength, even if it was uncrewed and spiked.

Rich Walker designed the rule and can better explain the mechanics.

There has been extensive discussion on this subject and at one point even a sticky, but it has been awhile. While there is room for improvement, overall I am very happy with the rule.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:29 am 

To tell you the truth, I don't really want to rewrite that discussion. Can someone please find it and bump it back up?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />Hi,

If you capture the guns, you have to hold them to get points. I think even a leader can hold them.

If you spike them and hold them, you get half the points and the guns can't be recrewed in that scenario.

Any time you do not physically occupy captured guns, they revert to the original owner. I believe that means in a campaign scenario any captured battery not physically occupied comes back in the next scenario at full strength, even if it was uncrewed and spiked.

Rich Walker designed the rule and can better explain the mechanics.

There has been extensive discussion on this subject and at one point even a sticky, but it has been awhile. While there is room for improvement, overall I am very happy with the rule.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:04 am 

My two cents...err make that twenty cents...[:D]You get half the normal points for spiking a gun as long as you garrison them with a combat unit, a leader and even a wagon. The occupying combat unit can be disrupted or not, cav or infantry in any formation, and even another artillery piece. If you leave the spiked gun you lose the points though the gun stays spiked and is no good to the enemy. That is the point of doing so to deny them to the enemy's use after, perhaps, you have enjoyed using them against him.[:p] Sometimes if they are left far enough forward you can use them for a few turns before the enemy gets up the courage and the where-with-all to attempt recapture. If you plan it correctly you can get a few bombardment in and still have time to spike them.

Captured artillery do return to the original owner in the next battle of a campaign but they do not return full strength...I believe they return as one tube regardless of their original size and their quality is decreased. Likewise when infantry units are destroyed they come back in the next battle of a campaign at 15% of their original strength.

Wise players have suggested here in the forum a couple of interesting tactics re: capture v.s. spiking and destruction. Capture them and then spike them...you can't move captured guns except to limber, unlimber or turn in place....and move on...you can come back to them as they are often in the rear after you capture them, and occupy them later if you need the points. Or you can come back and bombard them with artillery to destroy them and you will get the points as normally when a gun is destroyed by artillery bombardment. Another option that I employ is taking a disrupted "one tube" artillery piece that is usually not worth a pee hole in the snow for firing and use it to garrison a captured or a spike gun. Of course it isn't much of a defender but in those circumstances when it is behind the lines, it may well last to the end of the game, and you get more points for the spiked gun than any casualties you are likely to take with a disrupted one tube gun. I don't believe from my tests that an uncrewed arty piece can garrison (It might start out crewed as it occupies and if hit by artillery or gunfire it could become uncrewed...or even blowed up [:(] whereupon I doubt it would satisfy occupation).

It is also correct as stated by someone that guns can be recaptured. When recaptured one has to use the normal "recrewing" function....see the manual...but the gun's quality goes to F and is diminished in its fire. The advantage is that recaptured artillery (by the original owning side) CAN BE limbered and <b>moved off </b>to one's own lines. Wouldn't likely mean much in a single battle as far as its effectiveness but it would deny the points to the enemy and if a campaign game, one of its tubes would come back to you. Note too that when you CAPTURE a gun it is actually easier to start firing it than when you have to RE-capture one. When you capture a gun with an infantry unit (or a cavalry unit..if it is a horse artillery piece, the gun can fire on the turn after you capture and occupy it. The inf, cav or arty occupying it can be disrupted or not. It will fire at half strength. However, just as any arty unit, if for example you changed its facing in your movement turn of the following turn it would not be able to fire until the next turn. I say it is easier to get it firing than recapturing or recrewing because of the time and rules required for recrewing.

Also note about points...in all HPS theaters EXCEPT Gettysburg, guns are worth 30 points which means that spiking a gun is worth 15. In GB the guns are worth 60 points (by now there may be other theaters where guns are worth 60 but I am not aware of that...I don't don't own all the games...yet...I lack about three of them.) Note too that when you are talking 15 points, you suffer more casualties sometimes taking them and holding them than worth the trouble. Just spike them and forget it...if nothing else they can't be used against you. I learned that hard way...attempting to rescue hurt guns which you have to recrew...often while you are attempting to recrew...it takes time...you suffer casualties from more bombardment that causes the UNdisrupted unit you send in to recrew to become disrupted itself before you can recrew and move the gun off to safety or begin firing with it. Sometimes it just comes down to math which is admittedly a litte gamey but then we didn't create the rule did we?

Hope this helps. There is more to it but I have gone on enough.

Brigadier General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 am 

BG Jones,

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 am 

BG Jones,

You should visit the War College and read Tom Ciampa's excellent paper on this topic - he'll turn you into an expert!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:25 am 

I would like to see the option added for the guns to stay captured by the side that last moved through the hex. I don't care for the idea of having to spend the last few turns of a game running around trying to find all the hexes with guns so you can occupy them before end of game or having to garrison captures to keep them captured.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:04 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br />I would like to see the option added for the guns to stay captured by the side that last moved through the hex. I don't care for the idea of having to spend the last few turns of a game running around trying to find all the hexes with guns so you can occupy them before end of game or having to garrison captures to keep them captured.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Amen. Captured is captured. Leave them with the last owner until they are recaptured.

Regards,

Major Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><