American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vista Issue?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:55 am 
Hey all,

I just finished playing an Ozark campaign file after getting the game installed on my pc (patched too). Anyhoo, once I'm done I went to zip and e-mail the file but its nowhere to be found. If I do a search it tells me its where it should be but I still cannot see it. Is this some sort of Vista security nonsense? Thanks in advance,

Lt. Gen. Mike Smith
Army of Georgia
Commanding
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_admin/phpbb2/index.php?f=28"]Miss Clarissa's Tavern
[/url][url="http://convolutedmuse.com"]ConvolutedMuse[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:58 pm 

Shouldn't be a security problem. Run Ozark and use its browse dialog to verify that the file is where you thought it should be and has the correct name. I usually use the default location for saves in the main install folder but others don't. Make a note of the path it shows to the folder containing the file. Also you can still change Explorer to "see" all files in a folder.

HPS doesn't use the new improved Vista UAC ClickOnce Installer. If you ever find an application that does you will never find the install folder anyway. It no longer uses the Program Files folder which is probably why we are having so much problems with old apps that do.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:36 pm 
Hey Kennon,

Thanks for the reply. The funny thing is I'd heard that Vista didn't use the Program Files path and yet this notebook is set up that way. Perhaps Acer did this at the factory? They also partitioned my drive in two which I don't care for but.....The other big thing is Vista seems to like its visual settings incredibly bright. That may be good for many folks but for a guy with cataracts its not good at all. There's a lot of options to use a "high contrast" setting but then everything is so dark and ugly its nuts to look at. But, as you can see, I'm getting off track.

I figured out to 'see' the file which I knew was there the whole time. I had to click the "compatible files" tab. Poof, then I see it just fine. Now, for some reason I can't "zip and e-mail" the file in one step like I used to but I can drag the file into an open e-mail. An a%# backwards way to do things but, what can you do? Anyways, thanks for the feedback. If any of y'all have some suggestions for making this bloated operating system work as smoothly as XP Pro did (in between periodic crashes) let me know, lol.

Lt. Gen. Mike Smith
Army of Georgia
Commanding
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_admin/phpbb2/index.php?f=28"]Miss Clarissa's Tavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:23 pm 

I don't think anyone has switched from using the Program File folder for default installs but maybe Microsoft. Someday someone will then we can have a contest to see who can guess where the program went.[:D]

Vista, like most things Microsoft does when they bundle software, has a broken ZIP file support built in. It almost works the way you want but not quite. They support using a ZIP folder that looks like any other file folder but the files are compressed in zip format in it.

Best solution is to download one of the older ZIP version software and install it. This will add all those nice menus when you right click on a file for zipping the file to a standard zip file or if a zip file for unzipping it. You just have to put up with the prompt when it starts asking you to send them money.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:21 am 

You should not install the games to the default directory when running Vista, but rather to new folder outside of the Program Files one. For example I have all of mine in:

C:\Games\ACW

And so on, based on time period.

This, and other Vista things, are documented on the HPS web site.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:10 am 
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the heads up. Quick question then, since the game is currently installed in the program files directory, would it be best to uninstall from this location and then reinstall to the root as you mentioned? Thanks :-)

Lt. Gen. Mike Smith
Army of Georgia
Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:21 am 

Yep, I would suggest that.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA