American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Emplaced Guns Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:53 am 
I'm currently playing a shiloh campaign and am puzzled why I've been provided with, what amounts to, a lawn decoration? You see, the yankee gunboats can simply stroll right along the coast and shoot all day long without ever taking a defensive shot in return. If I attempt to turn my "emplaced gun" to meet the threat I get a message that says "emplaced guns can't turn or move."

Now, I can understand not being able to pack up the guns and sell them to a collector in New Jersey but, but not being able to turn? Why even have the thing to begin with? Hell you might as well just melt it down for scrap. In the meantime, my opponents gets a free ride to destroy guns, unimpeded in any way, at the cost of 20 points per tube to me; gotta love it.

Lt. Gen. M. Conrad Smith
4th Division, III Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:32 pm 

Hey Mike,

I had the same problem, I don't see why in the next patch for Shiloh were you can turn the guns. I've seen some pictures of gun emplacements at the Shiloh battlefield park and they show how the guns could be turned to a certain amount.

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:36 pm 
Exactly my brutha! I wouldn't expect them to turn a full 360 degrees but somewhere between 90 and 180 should have been in the coding or the guns left out completely.

Now, about them Krispy Kremes we keep talking about........ [:p]

Lt. Gen. M. Conrad Smith
4th Division, III Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:50 pm 

" . . . somewhere between 90 and 180" degrees?

You guys aren't thinking. Any gun in the HPS system----without moving or turning----can fire across 120 degrees.

Sincerely,
Brig Gen Dwight McBride
V Corps/AOP/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 pm 

Mike, whats with the Krispy Kreames. How close are you to CT. they have some there near Groton,CT. Besides don't you have any Dunkin Donuts up your way, there almost as good as Krispy "NOT" [:D]

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:56 pm 

Yes General McBride you are correct, but sometimes a Yankee gunboat can get to were they are outside of that 120 arc and fire away and not have to worry about return fire[:(]

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:58 pm 

During the Corinth battle the guns at Battery Robinette were turned completely around to help repel troops who had penetrated into the town. On the other hand, at Ft Macon, en barbette (on top of the wall) had tracks that allowed them to rotate in a 180 degree arc. Guns in casements had much more limited field of fire, circumscribed by the width of the embrasure. I think emplaced guns of 12 lb or less ought to be able to rotate 360 degrees, while heavier guns ought to be able to turn one hex side right or left. I also think heavy guns ought to move slower than field guns. One wonders why the North didn't outfit every battery with siege guns since they can move as fast and expend the same ammo as six pounders.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:50 pm 

I certainly wish you guys would be more specific when making an observation. I don't like guessing. What scn are you talking about?

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:56 pm 
Yeah, I'd love to give you a specific but I find getting scenario details quite confusing. That said, it's the opening scenario in the Shiloh campaign. Polk has refused reinforcements, I'm told, and I must repulse the yankee devils for 15 turns. There are three emplaced guns for the good guys and the yank can just scoot up the coast, within a hex or two, and fire point blank into my guns without taking any return fire at all. I can send you a copy of the file if you like?

Gary - The only thing close to a doughnut up here is these dreid out pieces of bread the locals call scones, yuck.

Lt. Gen. M. Conrad Smith
4th Division, III Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:30 pm 
<font face="Georgia">
At least the problem is at Fort Henry.
that doesn't make sense as the battery are not able to defend the river.

<b>
Field Lieutenant Bill Bertrand
Forest cavalry Brigade
Army of Mississippi
CSA </b></font id="Georgia">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:02 pm 

OK, Let's say we're talking about Ft. Henry. Union gunboats cannot travel past the fort without taking heavy fire from the fort artillery. There is a blind spot, but to get to it, will take 5-6 turns and gunboats will take many hits before getting to it and even then, only two rebel guns are at risk.

As for the rotating of emplaced artillery, that is represented by the 120 degree arc of fire, as was previously stated.

Please give me a little more info if what I have said is not the case.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:15 pm 

OK, after rereading you second post, I see you're talking about 06-Belmont.

Again, the gunboats cannot travel up the river without getting fired upon, but yes, there is another blind spot that allows the emplaced guns to be fired upon. Hex 30,2 can fire on 34,2. I will try to eliminate that blind spot for the rebel guns by removing hex 31,2.

Alternately, I could split the battery and point one 3 gun section at the blind spot. But that would lessen the battery FP.

Still, to get to the blind spot, the Union gunboat will take fire from the Miss battery at 33,2.

Again, emplaced guns cannot rotate, but their arc of fire does a good job of representing that rail turning capability of shore batteries. These are 32lb guns we're taking about, not 12 lb guns.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:57 am 
Hi Rich,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and work through my grumpy demeanor lol. I'm not sure if its Belmont or not but, assuming it is, there's definitely a way for the yank to do as he just did. Not one shot was I able to take and the game engine says no dice to turning the gun to knock the stacks of that bucket of bolts hehehehe. I should get a return file here pretty soon and will provide more information if I can. Thanks again!

P.S. It probably won't be till later this evening before any further posts/info as my boy is graduating kindergarten today. He just turned six on the 28th and thinks he's the coolest kid ever. [:)]

Lt. Gen. M. Conrad Smith
4th Division, III Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:24 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />OK, Let's say we're talking about Ft. Henry. Union gunboats cannot travel past the fort without taking heavy fire from the fort artillery. There is a blind spot, but to get to it, will take 5-6 turns and gunboats will take many hits before getting to it and even then, only two rebel guns are at risk.

As for the rotating of emplaced artillery, that is represented by the 120 degree arc of fire, as was previously stated.

Please give me a little more info if what I have said is not the case.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just playing Fort Henry, the Gunboat are at one hex of the coastal artillery and they take only fatigue[:(]
but as confederate I have already loose 2 guns [B)]

Field Lieutenant Bill Bertrand
Forest cavalry Brigade
Army of Mississippi
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:09 pm 

To find the scenario for any campaign game, just open the .CPF file in any text editor, like NOTEBOOK. You will be able to see the scenario and map names.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">