American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: R&R time
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:44 am 

To my opponents or anyone wanting to contact me I will be out of touch from Thursday afternoon Oct 15 till Sunday Oct 18 although I probably won't do any turns until Monday night.

Taking the wife to Gettysburg this weekend for a little R&R. HQ will be the Eisenhower Inn just south of town. I will be attending Fall Muster with the Gettysburg Foundation on Saturday while she tours the local shops. Doing a special tour on the cyclorama, they promise us time to take pictures with the lights up so I hope to post pictures to my Windows live site and make them available like I did with my trip to the USMC Museum this summer. Unfortunately thje weather looks like it's going to be terrible so I doubt there will be many outdoor pictures this trip.

Gen. Ken Miller
3/VIII
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 am 

The Ike is where Pat and I set up HQ this past July....nice place.

Have fun!

"General Sickles, this is in some respects higher ground than that to the rear, but there is still higher in front of you, and if you keep on advancing you will find constantly higher ground all the way to the mountains."
-Major General George Meade, Commanding the Army of the Potomac, July 2, 1863

Major General Rusty Hodgkiss
VIII AoS
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/mongohuey/generalhodge.jpg[/img]

[IMG]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:01 pm 

Gentlemen,

Weather was terrible at Gettysburg this weekend, cold, wet and rainy but I still had a good time with the Friends tours. The wife and I got to spend a half hour learning all about the cyclorama era of the late 1800's and what all was involved in restoring the Gettysburg one. I also had the opportunity to spend about half an hour just looking at the Gettysburg Cyclorama painting with the lights up rather than just the short program you normally see. I took a lot of pictures, some of them didn't come out very well since you're not permitted to use flash but between this trip and two previous ones I have a pretty good selection available for you to peruse. You'll find them at

http://cid-f0ddd8dac4753bb2.skydrive.li ... /Cyclorama

Unfortunately I haven't figured out if there is any way to post comments on the pictures yet so there are no descriptions, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the painting itself, the restoration has made it come alive. I can understand why people would consider it entertaining, as I said I spent a half hour just looking at it and would have stayed longer if I could.

Gen. Ken Miller
3/VIII
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:05 pm 

Ken,

Great pictures! It's like you were at the battle... these actually give a better look then being there live...

Thanks!

Major General Thompson
Chief of Staff
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:56 pm 

Great pictures, Ken.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:59 am 

You can sure see the effects of artillery smoke on the battlefield. As I understand it, the cyclorama is a 360 degree view from a central point?

BG Drex Ringbloom,
Cdr, 2nd Div "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 am 

Hi, Ken,

Thanks for the pictures. You can also see the dispersal of the artillery battery in a couple of the pictures. You can't put twenty guns in a 120 yd hex and expect them to be able to function properly.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:58 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Drex</i>
<br />You can sure see the effects of artillery smoke on the battlefield. As I understand it, the cyclorama is a 360 degree view from a central point?

BG Drex Ringbloom,
Army of the Shenandoah
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Drex,

Actually I learned the cyclorama I've been visiting all these years was not properly displayed. The painting needs to be displayed from a raised platform (which it was in the old building) with a hyperbolic ceiling so you cannot see the top of the painting (this was not possible as most of the sky was missing) and a diorama type display at the bottom so you can't see that either. When these are all combined it produces an almost 3D effect. During the rehabilitation they discovered a minature copy of the original painting that was used to redo the sky and some missing pieces of the painting. I learned all this from the short presentation I attended this weekend that included an extended look at the painting with the lights up where most of the pictures were taken.

With the climate controlled building it is now housed in, the restored sky height and the diorama at the base in the subdued lighting it is normally shown in the effect is fantastic. Unfortunately my camera and my photography skills are not good enough to take pictures in that low a light level without a flash so all of the ones I've posted were done with the lights up.

Gen. Ken Miller
3/VIII
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:17 am 

Of course when it was created, there were plenty of survivors still left alive to consult so it must be as close to the real thing as you can get without actually being there. What an experience. Before I die I gotta see it.

MG Drex Ringbloom,
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:15 pm 

<font color="beige"><b>Ken,

Great pictures, the effect of the forground diorama, even in the brighter lighting of your pictures looks impressive, I have to get up there and see it in person.</b></font id="beige">

<center> <font color="beige"><b>General R.A.'Bob'Weir
</b></font id="beige"><font color="green"><b><font size="4">CSA Eastern Theater Commander</b></font id="size4"></font id="green">
<b>ACWGC Cabinet Member</b> </center>