American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:29 am 

Here is what the User manual from Gettysburg says:

Here is an example. Suppose the command hierarchy at a battle consisted of

• Army commander: Lt. Gen. Hood. Command Rating of C.
• Corps commander: Lt. Gen. Cheatham. Command Rating of C.
• Division commander: Maj. Gen. Cleburne. Command Rating of B.
• Brigade commander: Brig. Gen. Govan. Command Rating of E.

The Command Test begins with Hood whose number for the Command Test is 4. Suppose that the die roll is 3 and thus Hood passes his Command Test this turn. Hood passes a Command Bonus of 1 to Cheatham which gives Cheatham a number of 5 for his Command Test. Suppose that the die roll is 4 and thus Cheatham passes his Command Test giving him a Command Rating of B for this turn. Cheatham passes a Command Bonus of 2 to Cleburne which gives Cleburne a number of 6 (the maximum) for this turn. Cleburne must therefore pass his Command Test this turn and thus passes a Command Bonus of 3 to Govan which gives Govan a number of 5 (2 + 3) for his Command Test. Suppose that the die roll is 6 and thus Govan fails his Command Test and keeps his nominal Command Rating of E for this turn.

Here is what I observed at the beginning of a turn in Gettysburg, v1.04"

Army Commander: Lee Command Rating B Passed Command Check
Corps Commander: Ewell Command Rating C Passed Command Check
Division Commander: Johnson Command Rating B Failed Command Check

<font color="red">According to the User Manual if both Lee and Ewell passed their checks then Johnson should have bee making his as an A equivalent so how can he fail? Are we seeing a bug? Or is there some other factor used we don't know about?</font id="red">

All leaders were within their command radius.

ps: Only other possibility is I remember my color coding backwards. Lee and Ewell both had normal Command Rating text coloring while Johnson had his in yellow which I believe indicates failure.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
2/3/IV AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:27 am 

Hi, General,

In my Gettysburg game, Lee failed his test and has a yellow B. Ewell passed it and has a white D. Johnson failed it and has a yellow C. Steuart has a white D and Williams a white E, indicating they passed. The other two brigade commanders have yellow E's indicating they failed.

What I think happens is that the leaders show the modified command rating they rolled under, meaning that in your example, Johnson's modified rating was the B, and he rolled a six. That means his default rating must be a D. This was apparently confirmed when I opened the Culp's Hill scenario and Johnson showed a yellow D. So I presume the default command rating only shows on the brigade commander when he fails his check, and the higher echelons show their modified rating when they failed the check.

MG Mike Mihalik
2/4/I/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />Hi, General,

In my Gettysburg game, Lee failed his test and has a yellow B. Ewell passed it and has a white D. Johnson failed it and has a yellow C. Steuart has a white D and Williams a white E, indicating they passed. The other two brigade commanders have yellow E's indicating they failed.

What I think happens is that the leaders show the modified command rating they rolled under, meaning that in your example, Johnson's modified rating was the B, and he rolled a six. That means his default rating must be a D. This was apparently confirmed when I opened the Culp's Hill scenario and Johnson showed a yellow D. So I presume the default command rating only shows on the brigade commander when he fails his check, and the higher echelons show their modified rating when they failed the check.

MG Mike Mihalik
2/4/I/AoMiss/CSA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You have solved the problem, thanks.

I went back to the OOB which has the following ratings:

Lee B he passes has command check
Ewell D +1 From Lee makes him a C and he passes his command check
Johnson D +1(Lee) +1(Ewell) makes him a B and he fails check.

Johnson aways was a hard luck general.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
2/3/IV AoM (CSA)