American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:26 pm 

Gents, Can someone out there help me....I have windows 7 64 bit, home edition...My old harddrive is added to this computer so that had all my games files on it....only problem I have now is in the graphics....the views are either too large or too small...I changed from 100 to 125 to 150 and at the same time I changed the pixels...could not get anything close to the way the game looked on XP....my 2d normal view is too small and the 2d zoom out I way too tiny...is there a setting I should be at....or a download or something to help me out here.......thanks guys

Gen John Dragan AoA

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:39 pm 

I did essentially the same thing with my game HD when I got my new computer a few months ago. I have the same operating system, but went from an ATI card to a top NVIDIA card.

I found no difference in the way the games are displayed. There are problems with NVIDIA based cards, as the games show a white-out quite often.

Otherwise, I found no difference.

HOWEVER, you might need to change the way your game are loaded from the OLD typical method of the HPS games and move them all from the x:/PROGRAMS/HPS/campaign antietam, ETC to something like a GAMES folder, so your games would look like x:/games/campaign antietam; x:/games/campaign franklin, etc.

Also, check out HPSSIMS.COM for there info on using the games in VISTA/WIN7.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:55 am 

If you are installing Win 7 on a machine that was running XP and not changing the hardware, you should get exactly the same display resolution that you had before. The display size is more a funciton of your monitor and video card than OS.

However, you might not have been using your video at standard settings in which case you will see a change. To be able to tell would require more information but here are some things to look at:

Monitor resolution and type of monitor - unless you have a old tube type monitor you probably have an LCD or LED type monitor. These should always be set to their highest resolution and Win 7 will default to this setting if the monitor supports auto identification. This is the most likely cause of a change in display. You may have had XP configured to use a lower resolution so everything looked bigger on the screen. Us old people with bad eyesight sometimes do this.

Ease of Use - This is a Control Panel catagory that under XP had a different name. It allow you to change a number of display settings to make the computer handicap accessible.

Personailization - Another Control Panel catagory that XP called something else. It allows you to change display settings as well including resolution.

Compatibility Mode - This is a file property on the game's executable. It can swithc the mode the game runs in but I don't know how much affect it will have.