American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wilson's Creek
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:02 am 

Going to St. Louis in early July for the Elks National convention and planning on driving so I can make a stop at the Wilson's Creek National Battefield. My question for those of you that been there is now much time should I allow for a good visit? Trying to figure out if I can fit Prairie Grove in as well, either going up or coming back so any thought on touring there as well would be appreciated.

Union Military Academy Instructor

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Wilson's Creek
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:02 pm 

Not been there but maybe that helps if you check the links below the The Battle of Wilson's Creek section:
http://www.thecivilwarmuse.com/index.ph ... on-s-creek

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:06 pm 

I've checked the online sources but was hoping someone here had actually been to Wilson's Creek and Pea Ridge. I've checked the maps and mileage and I'll have time to get both in on Saturday and still be to St. Louis before it gets too late and I can sleep in on Sunday so I'll hit both of them. Will probably pick up this up before I go.

Wilson's Creek, Pea Ridge, and Prairie Grove: A Battlefield Guide, with a section on the Wire Road.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O84QJ6/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Should help me know what to look for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:44 pm 

Hi, Mark,

I've been to all of them. They are not far from each other, but being a Texan that is relative.

The Wilson's Creek and Prairie Grove battlefields are pretty compact, but Pea Ridge is a more sprawling affair.

As I recall Prairie Grove has a loop walk of about a mile and a short driving tour as well.

I think Pea Ridge you practically have to drive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:19 am 

Made my visits to Pea Ridge and Wilson's Creek today. I was at the Pea Ridge visitor center when they opened this morning. Was a beautiful morning with temps in the low 70s. Took the the time to go through the exhibits and watch the the short video on the battle, which I was glad I did. Took the drive around the loop. I found it easy to picture in my mind the troops positions and the action at this battlefield. I actually took the opportunity to walk from the Confederate position at Ruddick's Field toward the Union line at the opposite end. The Union position looked really close. I was taking about a step per second and 70 seconds I realized I was not even halfway yet! Then all I could think about was how many rifle volleys and cannon shots the Union would have gotten off in those 70 seconds. Have me a whole new perspective on time and distance. Also was surprised at how open the ground was where the Union gun line was on the morning of the 2nd day. I can only wonder what the results might have been if the Confederate caissons had been full. I'd highly recommend a visit here. I then drove 90 minutes to visit Wilson's Creek, or Oak Hills as the Confederates called it and the bat I bought said. It 90 degrees and the humidity felt just as high. I could not imagine how those troops marched and fought that as the Park Ranger said it was over 100 that day. This battlefield was harder for me to wrap my head around. I talked to the danger about it and the tree growth since the 1960's has changed the way the field looks. He showed me a picture from the 1920's that showed it as it was the day of the battle and it helped make sense of the battery placements around the battlefield. Even with the tree growth it is easy to see how Bloody Hill dominates that area. Sigel's movements were much easier to see and picture in my mind. I could easily imagine how those encampments would have looked to Sigel at the start of that morning. Couldn't see what he was thinking when he moved up to his final position as I thought his second position was much stronger and should have allowed him to bring the Wire road under fire. I would love to go back in November s the ranger suggested so I can see the sight lines with the trees bare. A Pea Ridge visit in March to see what they saw with the trees bare as well. These were my first battlefield visits but today will mean they won't be my last.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:45 pm 

Hi, Mark,

If you do get back to Pea Ridge, I recommend you check out Prairie Grove. It is only an hour away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:19 am 

I wanted to but just didn't have the time. 3 more years to retirement and then there will be time for it and a lot more.