American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:12 pm 

33. Objective hexes! I understand some of the concepts behind having objective hexes in the games (e.g. helps to balance uneven scenarios, helps to encourage battles over certain terrain in order to make them more like the original battles, helps to force a player to defend some terrain that they ordinarily might abandon) and sometimes objective hexes are worth so much that you can’t ignore them – but – I am generally not going to let a 50 point objective hex determine what my strategy is and how I am going to deploy my troops. Having said that, a lot depends upon whether or not you are playing with the Extreme Fog of War option. I despise it so I don’t. If I did and I had an opponent who was obviously chasing objective hexes, then I could certainly use that against him by defending some cheap objective hex like it was actually worth a lot (makes no sense to me that both sides wouldn’t know the value of objective hexes). But since I don’t play with Extreme Fog of War, if my opponent is willing to suffer 500 more casualties than me in order to gain possession of a 50 point objective hex, then let him come. Any action that I take, the expected gains have to be measured against the expected losses. If I want to abandon my left flank and its objective hexes in order to mass for an attack on my right flank, then I will do so if I expect to gain significantly more victory points and damage to my opponent by doing so. On the other hand, defending massive value objective hexes are one of the times when I can’t afford to retreat and go to a every hex defense.

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:11 pm 

Hi, Ned,

I think of objectives as a necessary evil to reflect the importance of such things as lines of communication and supply that don't really apply in a scenario. Hard to justify a fight if there is nothing worth fighting over.

I agree with you about hidden objective values in extreme fog of war, but I like the concept of troop strength being better hidden in woods, fields and trenches.
So I use the extreme fog of war option but my opponent and I agree to check out the scenario so we both know the value of objective hexes.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:57 am 

Interesting approach.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:26 am 

I don't particularly care for the change that hides the VP value. It only means anything the first time you play the scenario. After that it is just a penalty for a new player.

That said, remember VP hexes only apply at the end of the game unless they are the type that accumulates per turn or are exit hex VP. Your objective is to destroy the enemy's army then take as many VP hexes as you can toward the end of the game.

Also, be aware VP procession flags give away your troop movements. Don't flip a VP hex that isn't already in enemy LOS unless you have too for movement purposes. Sometimes I pay the extra cost for moving around a VP hex if it will confuse the enemy.