American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:46 pm 

37. So you want to win most of the time? In general, the principle is simple, get there the fustest with the mostest. What that means is to figure out what your opponent is going to do before they do it so that you are ahead of them, waste no time nor movement points in getting to your objective hopefully unseen, and getting there with more troops than your opponent has. In reality, it requires you to be adaptable. The same thing doesn’t work scenario after scenario. Survey the field. What position on the field will give your army the best chance for success. What are your opponent’s weak points that you can take advantage of. With the scoring that is required for victory, in combination with the above, can you best achieve success by playing defense or taking to the offense. If an offensive is called for, seldom should you split your army so that one arm of your army cannot support the other if they get into trouble (remember, with a divided army, your opponent can concentrate on destroying one half while holding off your other half with far fewer forces). I said ‘seldom’. I have had success and so did Marse Robert by doing so occasionally but it requires surprise which means you can’t do it so often that your opponent expects it. After you have gotten your strategy down, and when it is time to attack, don’t piece meal it. Have a plan so that your opponent is pinned down and can’t continuously shift troops to handle problems in his line. Use your tactical skills to make your strategy successful. When all is said and done, every scenario isn’t winnable. We also all run up against someone who can just out play us. The idea is to have fun regardless of the outcome. I have thoroughly enjoyed some of my defeats (I said ‘some’). My adjustment from the BG to the HPS/JTS systems was downright embarrassing for a while, but I eventually adjusted. Learn from a defeat and get up out of the dust. Whatever the outcome, if you had fun, made a friend, or learned something from it, then it wasn’t a waste of time at all.

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message