American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:12 pm 

A number of times in the past club members have taken the time to submit carefully written and endorsed proposals to the Cabinet for consideration, and then stood by as the seven members exclusively deliberated it among themselves, completely shutting out the author, seeking no outside discussion, and rendering their vote in secret without explanation. As a candidate for the Club Presidency do you view the Cabinet as a secluded, final authority unto itself, free from oversight, or as a clearinghouse for the shaping and molding of proposals to permit club-wide discussion and then a club-wide vote.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:30 pm 

I fully support Walt. I find him honest and thoughtful. I find only the color of his uniform to be in error.

"Well, Govan, if we are to die, let us die like men."

MGen.Patrick R. Cleburne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:27 pm 

General Meyer <salute>

You asked this question:

A number of times in the past club members have taken the time to submit carefully written and endorsed proposals to the Cabinet for consideration, and then stood by as the seven members exclusively deliberated it among themselves, completely shutting out the author, seeking no outside discussion, and rendering their vote in secret without explanation. As a candidate for the Club Presidency do you view the Cabinet as a secluded, final authority unto itself, free from oversight, or as a clearinghouse for the shaping and molding of proposals to permit club-wide discussion and then a club-wide vote.”

I believe that Cabinet business should be orderly, timely, transparent and documented on the MDT. Members of the Cabinet should agree to a set of performance standards intended to address in particular the timeliness component of its work and be held accountable for meeting that standard. Members should be able to designate “acting’s” to serve in their place when they will not be able to perform for extended periods of time. The Cabinet should routinely (I would propose monthly) post reports on the MDT regarding among other things, proposals it has received, promotions it has approved and action it has or is undertaking with respect to proposals before it. I believe that no rule change is necessary to enact these procedures, but if it is, I would strongly support the necessary rules revisions to establish these operating principles.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:47 pm 

(I see that you have anticipated a portion of my question! Nonetheless, in the interest of fairness I will pose that same followup question to you that I did for Gen. Mallory.)

Thank you for that response, Brig. Gen. Dortch. Yet at the moment we are left with the rather broad and insulating club rule describing the Cabinet's duties.

3.3.1.2 Duties of the Cabinet
a) The duly elected Members of the ACWGC Cabinet with a majority vote, subject to veto, determines all interpretations, understanding and application of club rules. They may also make a determination on any situation not otherwise specifically covered under these rules with a majority vote, subject to veto.

Rather than trust or risk the interpretation of this rule to each new Club President, ought not the processes you've just described be more nearly formalized within the rule for all future proposals?

(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:42 pm 

General Meyer <salute>

a) The duly elected Members of the ACWGC Cabinet with a majority vote, subject to veto, determines all interpretations, understanding and application of club rules. They may also make a determination on any situation not otherwise specifically covered under these rules with a majority vote, subject to veto.

Rather than trust or risk the interpretation of this rule to each new Club President, ought not the processes you've just described be more nearly formalized within the rule for all future proposals?

The processes I described in my previous answer address how I believe the Cabinet should conduct its business not interpret its duties.

I have two comments for your question related to Rule 3.3.1.2.

First, your question infers the trust or risk you are pointing to centers on a new Club President. The rule itself applies to the Cabinet as a whole and the President has no authority to impose his view on the Cabinet. It would be helpful for you to explain your focus on the President.

Second, I will advise that I am in the “if it ain’t broken we don’t need to fix it” group and thus would ask you to provide some real-life examples of what you believe needs to be fixed here.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:09 pm 

Tex McSwain wrote:
Walt,

I really appreciate your answer. I will confess that my name is not really Tex McSwain. I have a high profile job at a major university and there is no way that I would have joined this Club using my real name. Thus far I have met fantastic people and the facade I use is not a funny game for me but a professional necessity brought on by the times we currently live in. If any person, or persons, in this Club do not understand that we live in a vastly different world than we did even a year ago than they are, to be blunt, fools. I have many friends and colleagues of Color who would be genuinely hurt and appalled that I would dare to "join the Confederacy" even in a simple gaming Club. My students reaction would be equally as strong and vocal.

Because of the layers of security I have on my account I feel comfortable enough to join this Club, and others, using false names and emails. I do not believe I am a bad person but one who simply desires to relax, and game, in privacy.

Walt understands the times we live and I appreciate that. Further, he is defending the privacy of the Club's Members which is an issue I take extremely seriously, as all of you should as well. It might have been less risky for me to join the Union side but I have always appreciated the challenge of playing as the outnumbered Confederates and so chose that side. Part of me regrets that decision but it has led to me meeting some very fine friends in the CSA.

If my resignation is requested it will be given and I will continue in the other online gaming clubs where one's identity, be it true or not, is not investigated.

I sail in the same sea as you. I am hopeful this period of intolerance will pass in time and people will come to more mature understanding of American history and the complexity of their own colleagues and neighbors. We'll see, but I am glad you feel confident enough to be yourself here and enjoy your down time as you see fit. More power to you.

Maj. Gen. L.P. Smith
Division Commander - II Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:50 pm 

Why or why not, in your opinion, Brig. Gen. Dortch, would it be conducive for the ACWGC to enlarge the club by 200 members in one year's time?

(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:45 am 

General Meyer <salute>

You ask: Why or why not, in your opinion, Brig. Gen. Dortch, would it be conducive for the ACWGC to enlarge the club by 200 members in one year's time?

The 200-recruit number came in my response to the question of what would I would consider as the major accomplishment at the end of a two-year term as President. But too many recruits would be a good problem to have!

Seriously, I believe such membership growth would revitalize the Club assuming (and it appears to be a valid one based on the applications the Club has received since last April) that growth of this kind will include members with many talents who besides gaming are also interested in becoming line officers or serving in other administrative positions in the Club.

I recall your concerns last April about the Academies being overwhelmed by too many recruits. At that time, both Academies began increasing their cadre of instructors. I asked Nick and Scott yesterday if they believe the VMI and UMA could now handle 10 recruits a month each and they both answered they are prepared to do so.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:43 am 

General Candidate Question: Considering the current status of the Club, would your preference be that it heads in which of the following directions and why?

1) Leave the game design alone as it's a "Classic" and should never change
2) Do minor updates to the game and do only little tweaks as necessary
3) Keep advancing forward like the Battle Ground series to HPS to JTS upgrades; to keep progressing with current game developments/times

Would like to know your protectives on how you see the Club evolving or remaining in its current format over the next 5 years. Should we try to evolve or hold tight to our classic principles?

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:56 am 

D. Hampel wrote:
General Candidate Question: Considering the current status of the Club, would your preference be that it heads in which of the following directions and why?

1) Leave the game design alone as it's a "Classic" and should never change
2) Do minor updates to the game and do only little tweaks as necessary
3) Keep advancing forward like the Battle Ground series to HPS to JTS upgrades; to keep progressing with current game developments/times

Would like to know your protectives on how you see the Club evolving or remaining in its current format over the next 5 years. Should we try to evolve or hold tight to our classic principles?

General Hampel <salute>!

I have described the ideas I would take into the President’s office if elected in my platform. I would characterize those ideas as fitting within your Scenario No. 3. However, I believe what I think you would consider the classic aspects of the Club should be preserved and enhanced—meaning maintaining its basic organizational structure with the two armies, continuing to emphasize human to human game play and well-intended rivalry, and perhaps its overarching principle that playing not winning the games is what the Club is all about. In other words, adapting our Club to changing times and membership needs while preserving and enhancing the aspects of it which make it unique.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:12 pm 

Walt Dortch wrote:
General Meyer <salute>

The processes I described in my previous answer address how I believe the Cabinet should conduct its business not interpret its duties.

I have two comments for your question related to Rule 3.3.1.2.

First, your question infers the trust or risk you are pointing to centers on a new Club President. The rule itself applies to the Cabinet as a whole and the President has no authority to impose his view on the Cabinet. It would be helpful for you to explain your focus on the President.

Second, I will advise that I am in the “if it ain’t broken we don’t need to fix it” group and thus would ask you to provide some real-life examples of what you believe needs to be fixed here.

Gentlemen <salute>

We presently have an example of something that I believe General Meyer may have been thinking about when he asked his question. There presently is a process underway to add a new club rule and amend others, see: http://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22164

It makes no sense to me that a rules revision process combines discussion of the merits of the rule (or suggested revisions or additions to the proposed rule) with voting to approve or not the proposed rule simultaneously. If elected President, I will propose to the Cabinet that Rules 3.3.1.4 and 9.0 be revised to establish a default process for revisions to Club rules which would include:

1) a draft of a proposed rule revision shall be posted on the MDT with an appropriate time period established for members to comment on the proposed rule.

2) the cabinet shall consider comments received and following such consideration, publish a final rule which shall be posted on the MDT that shall be voted upon by members within the timeframe specified by the Cabinet to do so.

If not elected President, I will present this proposal to President Mallory for his consideration.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:07 pm 

Sounds like a good procedure for proposals.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:27 pm 

Walt Dortch wrote:
El Capitan Blake <salute>

2) [The wording of this question was difficult – hopefully I didn’t butcher it] We live in a different world than existed in 1997. I have always found the Club to be a very welcoming and accepting place where all are welcome. Yet the Club has no official declaration of the fact that we do not condone any sort of racism or prejudice and will not tolerate any member, ever, using our boards in any way to promote any hurtful or hate-filled messages. Our use of the Confederate flag is to both honor our ancestors [for us southerners] and because it is a relic of the period we portray. We do not display it as a symbol of intimidation or hate. The Blitz Wargaming Club has a very blunt message on their site that they do not tolerate any racist remarks or actions by their members using the forum. Do you think it is time the ACWGC state officially what we have always taken for granted? That all are welcome and while we do portray a historical period many find uncomfortable and painful to remember that we are a group of online gamers who treat others with only courtesy and respect.

The short answer is yes. There is some language that gets to this in various places in the rules, in the Forum headers and in the Club Philosophy Paragraph that used to be on the home page. But that language is not emphatically clear nor is it front and center. ACW Talk has a similar declaration as you describe for the Blitz. I think a short and clear declaration that the Club is a place for gamers and historical discussion related to the military aspects of the ACW is what the ACWGC all about and should also include a statement such as yours that the Club will not “condone any sort of racism or prejudice and will not tolerate any member, ever, using our boards in any way to promote any hurtful or hate-filled messages.” This declaration should be displayed on the Website Homepage. A good place to for this to land would be right under the “How to Apply” button on the homepage.

I remain concerned about the proposal for a statement such as you propose and this concern has been heightened by the proposed new rule change (2.6.5.1). These things can get out of control as some people strive to be perceived as 'doing the right thing'. In the CivilWarTalk Forums I have had a few posts there removed or edited for merely mentioning some things [e.g. in factually referring to BLM in regards I had one post removed and another severely edited - I have learnt my lesson there and now just say 'protestors' if there is a need for me to refer to such a thing.]

These things have particular effect upon those of us on the CSA side of the club. It has been seen that already bills are being placed before US Governments and laws are being passed where Confederate names and flags are to be removed/outlawed because their mere existence is deemed as racist or hurtful. Here are just three:
1. Section 377 (a) of HR 6395 [removes "all names, symbols, displays, monuments, and paraphernalia that honor or commemorate the Confederate States of America (commonly referred to as the “Confederacy”) or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America from all assets of the Department of Defense"] passed both houses and has been sent to the President https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/6395;
2. New York Governor has made a law prohibiting the sale of hate symbols (the Confederate Flag is deemed as such) on public grounds including state and local fairs, and also severely limits their display - https://nypost.com/2020/12/15/cuomo-signs-bill-banning-sale-of-confederate-flags/?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow;
3. Section 442 of H.R.7608 has passed the lower house and is with the Senate ["the National Park Service shall remove from display all physical Confederate commemorative works, such as statues, monuments, sculptures, memorials, and plaques".] This basically means all Confederate commemorative works (even plaques) in historic battlefields. https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/7608/text

I said earlier in this thread, "In the short time I have been a member of ACWGC I have seen nothing that is offensive in a racial or other context. I have read all posts that have appeared since my membership commenced in addition to many earlier ones. If anything offensive had been posted then existing club rules have been sufficient to have either discouraged it in the first place or to have it removed after it was posted."
A disclaimer as proposed would have the potential to create needless controversy and if such a statement is to be placed as an "open and up-front disclaimer displayed over the door" there will have to be very careful consideration on the wording of it.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:40 pm 

To kind of put some of your concern at ease, in terms of Confederate army/unit names, any flags, leader images, unit icons, etc. used on the websites, that won't change, regardless of statement or not. We're a historical wargaming club, nothing more, so there isn't going to be any change in this regard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:28 pm 

Lets face it, the club would roll belly up if someone had the idea to propose removing these symbols, or other related stuff.
But because of that we can't just deny us to take precautions if someone shows up and misuses the privileges he has as a member.
It's fine that Lt. Colonel Swanson hasn't witnesses any troubles that justify the proposed steps, but that doesn't mean they will never show up. In the over 20 years that the club exists a lot happened and in the next 20 years a lot will happen again, that is what such measures are there for.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next