American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:33 am 

Hello Gentlemen,

I am designing a custom scenario for the Atlanta Campaign. I am wanting to use Robert Frost's Enhanced 30 PTD with the Weather feature. Is there a way to add the weather files to the Enhanced 30 PDT ?

Army of Tennesssee

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:42 am 

Major General Moore,

Robert Frost's 30 PDT file is set at version 5 so it will support weather.
If you want to use some of the other pdt functions added since then such as Crew Kill and Trench digging you will need to set the Version to 8.

I would suggest starting with the Atlanta1864_weather.pdt file, renaming it and then copying the sections of Robert's file you want to use to it.
If you want or need more info on the pdt files you can go to

http://acwgc-engineering.com/

This is up to date as of Overland and there were no changes to the pdt values for Petersburg or Shenandoah.

As an update to this with the release of Forgotten Campaigns I provided WDS with an updated PDF version of the information on the PDT and OOB files on this website to them and these were included in the Manuals released with it and the subsequent CWB updates. Look for oob explained.pdf and pdt explained.pdf in the Manuals Folder of the games.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

Last edited by krmiller_usa on Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:33 pm 

Just wondering if there was any playtesting reports on these PDTs? Basically just wondering about the difference in musket & rifle effects (particularly at 1 hex range).

Reason am saying this - thinking of plugging one or the other (20 or the 30 minute version) into a scenario and doing some combat modelling tests. I liked the idea about the ranges - don't have the Nosworthy book (might not be an option) - but I have a couple by Hess that seem to go to the same sort of place.

Got some stuff on the boil, myself, but the map is going to take a fair bit of time to put together (using the Shenandoah map as a partial base). Saw someone over on the WDS boards talking up Ball's Bluff (but that's not really a battle high on my to do list -as it is a little too minor and didn't have much of an impact strategically.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:22 pm 

S Trauth wrote:
Just wondering if there was any playtesting reports on these PDTs? Basically just wondering about the difference in musket & rifle effects (particularly at 1 hex range).

Reason am saying this - thinking of plugging one or the other (20 or the 30 minute version) into a scenario and doing some combat modelling tests. I liked the idea about the ranges - don't have the Nosworthy book (might not be an option) - but I have a couple by Hess that seem to go to the same sort of place.

Got some stuff on the boil, myself, but the map is going to take a fair bit of time to put together (using the Shenandoah map as a partial base). Saw someone over on the WDS boards talking up Ball's Bluff (but that's not really a battle high on my to do list -as it is a little too minor and didn't have much of an impact strategically.

Here is an old thread discussing buck and ball (musket). Useful link submitted by Joe Meyer.

https://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopi ... 44&t=21145

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:29 pm 

I tested movement factors of 18, 24, 36 and 48(96) looking for the "ideal" without going overboard. Pick your poison, so to say. While 36 and 48 provide more granularity (one has many options for individual terrain), they do suffer from one shortcoming dependent upon your feelings about the use of skirmishers both historically and within the game parameters. Deploying and moving with skirmishers carries a hard-coded value of "1". While a 1/12 ratio does have an impact on play, a 1/36 or 1/48 does not. This can be mitigated somewhat by the parameter value in the PDT of entering a skirmisher hex. I take a middle stance in scenarios I modify or create and use base 24.

The Tiller system has never used proportional movement, so there is no way of determining whether this has an effect dependent on the base movement you choose. Having 3 MPs, but needing 4, carries the same 75% possibility as having 9 MPs needing 12. Would either situation occur more often than the other? Or does it really matter?

In terms of testing the fire factors, I am not sure what there is to "test". A rifle value of 3 will produce fewer casualties than one of 4, but that is just a function of trying to establish the correct value for the rifle. I never compiled any data in this regard.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:32 pm 

Robert Frost wrote:
In terms of testing the fire factors, I am not sure what there is to "test". A rifle value of 3 will produce fewer casualties than one of 4, but that is just a function of trying to establish the correct value for the rifle. I never compiled any data in this regard.

Apologies - by test was, in terms of the overall losses during a longer battle. I understood that you hadn't, and basically had put it out there looking for that info if anyone had it. I'll take it as a never got any and no one else did either.

Making it time to plug it in, and see -easy enough to do, just thought there might be that I had missed is all.

-Also appreciate Joe's link.