American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:31 pm 

Wife has given the budgetary blessing for me to detour south after seeing my parents in Illinois so that I can visit the Shiloh/Corinth battlefields and then Vicksburg before heading back to West Texas. Does anyone have any opinions on where to stay, things that are must sees, etc. I'm figuring a day at each so I appreciate any suggestions. I'll be there during the week of Labor Day.

Union Military Academy Instructor

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 pm 

Hi, Mark,

At Vicksburg, the star attraction as far as I am concerned is the USS Cairo.

As far as accommodations, there are several motels with reasonable rates close to the Vicksburg battlefield.

The Shiloh area was still rural when I visited, but that was thirty years ago.

Some smaller battle sites are located near your probable route but sounds like you are on a tight schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:09 pm 

I am very familiar with Shiloh as I live in Nashville. The only nearby town is Savannah, Tennessee, which is about a 15 minute drive from the park. There is also Crump, Tennessee, which is about seven buildings and a gas station. For hotels you can either roll the dice and stay at one of the mom and pop motels in Crump or Savannah (which are about what you'd expect and one is as good as another) or you can try the Comfort Inn in Savannah or the Hampton Inn at Pickwick Landing about a half-hour south of Shiloh at Pickwick Landing State Park.

Shiloh is worth a full day visit if you really want to get the feel of the land and the battle. I assume you already know all about the Battle of Shiloh but I recommend This Great Battlefield of Shiloh by Timothy Smith if you are looking for something to read in the hotel. It is a very short book of about 150 pages and covers the history of the establishment of Shiloh Battlefield. Just how all the monuments came to be there, who placed them, the ceremonies, the first superintendents, and who decided on the tour route and interpretation of the battlefield is just as interesting as the battle itself in some cases.

Driving south you will, of course, visit Corinth. But don't forget Brice's Cross Roads just south of that on the way to Tupelo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:54 am 

I visited these battlefields this March and I was actually impressed with Corinth more than I thought I would be. The visitor center is very good quality, built around the remains of Battery Robinette. The contraband camp is interesting history, although there are no buildings or artifacts remaining. It was kind of neat standing at the "X" crossing of the 2 main rail lines near the depot, same location as they were 150 years ago. On the way to/from Shiloh there are still earthworks to be seen just off the road mainly from the Union siege, but there are Confederate entrenchments if you don't mind a longer walk into the woods.

Between Jackson and Vicksburg don't miss Champion Hill or Raymond battlefields. Nothing major here but well marked with interpretive signs for those familiar with these scenarios.

The Natchez Trace Parkway is a great way to traverse Mississippi, and a lot of pre-European history to be seen on the old trace.