American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:41 am 

Gentlemen of the ACWGC <salute>

The recent WDS release of Update 4.0 brought a lot of great new things to our beloved games. Unfortunately, a bug within the update has created an unfortunate issue we would like to share with you.

For those who are NOT using Extreme Fog of War, it is very strongly recommended that you do so until further notice. The bug in the update affects this style of playing most prominently. The issue is that the visible hexes toggle button can be used to view the line of sight of, not only your own units, but also that of the enemy units. Further, it will allow you to click "empty" hexes around the map outside of your line of sight. If an enemy unit occupies that hex, the game will display their line of sight by default. This, of course, negates the basic premise of Fog of War by alerting you to their location.

An easy workaround to this bug is to use the Extreme Fog of War option. By selecting this option you can guarantee that no player will be able to click around the map to get an idea of where an enemy unit might be hiding.

But, unfortunately, another bug occurs after any gaming turn, including those using Fog of War, is ended. Once a turn is completed and ready to be emailed back to your opponent you will still run into the same issue as outlined above. The only difference being that it occurs after the completion of the turn as opposed to during the turn itself. Therefore, after you complete your turn, you should NOT use the toggle visible hexes feature at all or keep viewing the map. Close the game immediately and send it along to your opponent via email.

WDS is fully aware of the issues and working to resolve them.

We know that our Membership appreciates the club's Code of Conduct and respects its purpose of ensuring that we play fair games. Knowing that these bugs exist we can only address them, make you aware of the situation, assure you that it is being rectified, and trust that the Code of Conduct will be strictly observed, more than ever, in the coming weeks and months until this issue is fully fixed.

We very strongly recommend the following House Rules be adopted in all current or future games:
1) That the Optional "Extreme Fog of War" be used.

Note: Lt. Gen. Blake Strickler has assured me that in all future tourneys that it will be used exclusively until such time as the Bug is squashed.

2) That players do NOT use the Visible Hexes Toggle to view hexes in which they do NOT currently have troops located in.

I know that the ACWGC's Membership is disappointed by this development. But know that we will continue to monitor the situation, work with WDS in any way we can to fix it, and will be in touch with you to explain any updates on the situation.

Until we have a patch to fix these issues I encourage you all to think before using the Visible Hexes Toggle and remember to use it responsibly.

Keep gaming! Have fun as always. And we will keep you informed.

Thank you for your attention.

If you have additional questions please contact any member of the Cabinet. If you'd like more information from WDS you can contact them via https://wargameds.com/pages/support-wds.

/s/ on behalf of the Cabinet.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:05 am 

A similar issue existed in 3.0 with Extreme Fog of War. During replays the Extreme Fog of War rule was not enforced for the LOS tool. You could check LOS from any hex during the replay as if the rule were not selected. I wonder if it is related to the current bug.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:17 pm 

Unfortunately this bug is still present under certain circumstances in 4.01. Bug report went to WDS.

No cheatin'. Y'all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:32 pm 

Logrus Pattern wrote:
Unfortunately this bug is still present under certain circumstances in 4.01. Bug report went to WDS.

No cheatin'. Y'all.

I wasn't sure what you were talking about when you posted a couple of months ago so I said nothing. However, I just stumbled across a LoS problem which I'm sure must be the one you are referring to above. At least the WDS v4.0 bug could be avoided by selecting EFoW: the 4.01 LoS bug cannot, it is present in FoW and EFoW.

I am looking to write to WDS myself to add my concerns to yours but also want to do that in case what I 'discovered' is not what you found. Did WDS advise you whether or not they would fix the matter and when they would fix it properly?

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia