American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:27 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

Various issues (and solutions) to issues arising from the WDS 4.0 Version of the game are being identified and this thread is being set up for folks to daylight such things before a patch is produced to deal with the LOS matter and perhaps other matters.

This thread is being established to provide a focal point where we can share such information.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:20 pm 

The use of trenches in Overland and Petersburg, and even part of Forgotten, make perfect sense. But for older titles, such as Shiloh, Antietam, or Gettysburg, it is a potentially game-changing, scenario-destroying, issue. Imagine trying to attack Cemetery Hill with Federals using trenches. How about attacking Lee inside his trenches at Antietam or Second Manassas? And at First Bull Run as well.

My suggested "fix" is a simple House Rule that bans the construction of trenches in all titles where they were not originally included when released. This means in all titles EXCEPT Overland, Shenandoah, Petersburg, and Forgotten.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:35 pm 

Blake wrote:
The use of trenches in Overland and Petersburg, and even part of Forgotten, make perfect sense. But for older titles, such as Shiloh, Antietam, or Gettysburg, it is a potentially game-changing, scenario-destroying, issue. Imagine trying to attack Cemetery Hill with Federals using trenches. How about attacking Lee inside his trenches at Antietam or Second Manassas? And at First Bull Run as well.

My suggested "fix" is a simple House Rule that bans the construction of trenches in all titles where they were not originally included when released. This means in all titles EXCEPT Overland, Shenandoah, Petersburg, and Forgotten.

It may be better to settle on a date (anything pre-1864?) whereby trenches are not allowed to be constructed during a scenario. For example, Campaign Shenandoah has all Jackson's 1862 Valley campaign battles - I don't want to have to overcome trenches in those scenarios.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:06 am 

Quaama wrote:
It may be better to settle on a date (anything pre-1864?) whereby trenches are not allowed to be constructed during a scenario. For example, Campaign Shenandoah has all Jackson's 1862 Valley campaign battles - I don't want to have to overcome trenches in those scenarios.

Agreed. The 1862 Shenandoah Campaign should not have trenches.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:27 pm 

Command Rating on leader counters now has two ratings, one in brackets. Any idea what the difference is?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:35 pm 

The one in brackets (correct me if I am wrong anyone who is 100% sure) is the original leader rating without the effect of command tests. The command rating can go up or down based on whether they pass or fail their check at the start of the turn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:06 pm 

Just as an FYI, in case anyone prefers the older graphics, you can switch them back from the 4.0 graphics.

Attachment:
New Map.jpg
New Map.jpg [ 99.81 KiB | Viewed 5847 times ]

If you open up the Game's folders, you will see one labeled Map. Open this up. You can see in the picture below what is inside.

Attachment:
Folder.jpg
Folder.jpg [ 129.99 KiB | Viewed 5847 times ]

You would then take all those files and, my advice, copy and paste them into a different folder on your desktop (or anywhere else) for future use if needed. Then delete the files from the game itself. If you try to open the game now... you can't. Deleting one set of map graphics, you need to replace it with another set. If you have an old version of a game whose graphics you like, use that one. Open up the Map folder of the preferred game and copy ALL of the files you see in the folder. Then just return to the game you want to move them to and paste those files in the Map folder.

Easy.

Now you can reopen the game and enjoy the other set of graphics if you prefer those.

Attachment:
Old Map.jpg
Old Map.jpg [ 105.27 KiB | Viewed 5847 times ]

Everyone has their own graphics preference. Use whatever graphics work for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:34 pm 

Blake

A question and a comment.

Can I do this, for example by:

1) deleting the map folder in my WDS version
2) copying the Map folder from any JTS game, meaning it does not have to be JTS game X to WDS game X)

Comment

A benefit for doing this for those of us with older eyes is that it makes the hex outline display much clearer.

Thanks for posting this up!!

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:18 pm 

Don't delete the map folder, just rename it and copy the old map folder over. I don't like the 4.0 2d graphics either.
I found I couldn't play a turn from a 4.0 game on the 3.0 version (Antietam).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:02 pm 

Got it.
Thanks Steve!

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:40 am 

I am playing 031-630314-[A]Port Hudson-20 in Forgotten Campaign and am concerned about the fatigue recovery. I noticed that some moved units can recover fatigue normally. And I tested it in Gettysburg 4.0 and there is the same problem. Is it a bug?

( Well, with Night Movement Fatigue on and Higher Fatigue Recovery Rates on, my brave cavalrymen marched in the dark and got 50 fatigue, but would recover all fatigue next turn. What a forced march! :mrgreen: )

"Days and weeks of sheer boredom, interspersed with times of stark terror!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:59 am 

Ashdoll Ren wrote:
I am playing 031-630314-[A]Port Hudson-20 in Forgotten Campaign and am concerned about the fatigue recovery. I noticed that some moved units can recover fatigue normally. And I tested it in Gettysburg 4.0 and there is the same problem. Is it a bug?

( Well, with Night Movement Fatigue on and Higher Fatigue Recovery Rates on, my brave cavalrymen marched in the dark and got 50 fatigue, but would recover all fatigue next turn. What a forced march! :mrgreen: )

The horses marched and the men slept in their saddles. It makes perfect sense. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:00 am 

Logrus Pattern wrote:
Ashdoll Ren wrote:

The horses marched and the men slept in their saddles. It makes perfect sense. :D

I heard some ancient Mongol elite cavalry (Keshik?) could do this. Imagine the imperial guard cavalry for Mongol royalty suddenly appeared your army's flank in a civil war battlefield. LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:05 pm 

Logrus Pattern wrote:
Ashdoll Ren wrote:

I had originally read this post as saying that there had been a turn after the movement to enable 'fatigue recovery' and that the unit had simply recovered all fatigue as good luck [Gettysburg Parameter Data would permit a 20% chance night fatigue recovery].

If I'm now reading this correctly you are saying that a unit moved at night during one turn [say Turn 52] and then at the beginning of the very next turn [Turn 53] their fatigue was zero! If so, that is a very significant failure of WDS v4 and in my view ensures that any game that has night turns is a farce.

1. Did you test a number of units and did they all recover fatigue the very next turn or was it only some [20%?]?
2. Does the same thing occur during day turns when (in Gettysburg v4) the fatigue recovery should be a lowly 5% chance?

If this error is combined with the significant FoW fault it makes me think that all WDS v4 games are a waste of time and I should look at [somehow] reloading JTS v3 versions and only playing them. After all, does anyone like the new graphics? [I don't, although the pale blue Union units are somewhat amusing, albeit sickly.]

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:18 am 

Quaama wrote:

I had originally read this post as saying that there had been a turn after the movement to enable 'fatigue recovery' and that the unit had simply recovered all fatigue as good luck [Gettysburg Parameter Data would permit a 20% chance night fatigue recovery].

If I'm now reading this correctly you are saying that a unit moved at night during one turn [say Turn 52] and then at the beginning of the very next turn [Turn 53] their fatigue was zero! If so, that is a very significant failure of WDS v4 and in my view ensures that any game that has night turns is a farce.

1. Did you test a number of units and did they all recover fatigue the very next turn or was it only some [20%?]?
2. Does the same thing occur during day turns when (in Gettysburg v4) the fatigue recovery should be a lowly 5% chance?

Tested in a day turn of Gettysburg 4.0. If I am not wrong, units who moved, fired, or meleed (as attackers) last turn can still recover fatigue normally. (Though units who built breastworks or were fired upon the last turn can't recover fatigue.) I think it already makes the whole fatigue rules invalid and pointless in both day and night turns.

Here's the original text from the manual.

Manual wrote:

Recovering Fatigue
A unit may be eligible to recover Fatigue at the beginning of a player’s Movement
Phase provided it has not Moved, Fired, participated in Melee, or been Fired upon
with any effect
from the time of the player’s previous Movement Phase.

For each such unit a random value from 0 to twice the applicable recovery rate,
determined by Parameter Data associated with the current battle, is subtracted from
the unit’s Fatigue value. See the Parameter Data Dialog in the General Help File for
the recovery rate values.

BTW, I think the '5%' and '20%' of 'Recovery' in the PDT is not the possibility of recovery, but a baseline value. I guess the recovery function may be like this.

The Reduced Fatigue = (Recover Rate) * (Random Factor) * (Additional Multiplier)

I guess the Recover Rate means 5% or 20% of Max Fatigue (900), in other words, 45 or 180 fatigue value.

Random Factor is a random value between 0 and 2.

If checking Higher Fatigue Recovery (Optional Rules), there will be an Additional Multiplier. Low fatigue gets a '5x' bonus. Medium fatigue gets a '3x' bonus.