American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:53 pm 

Everybody keeps saying to just use EFOW and problem is solved. Some of us strongly dislike EFOW so that is not a solution for us.

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:09 pm 

I look forward to seeing the results of Ashdoll Ren's latest tests. If Logrus Pattern is correct it could be the optional rule that is at fault here for v4. For the record, the battle [[WDS Chickamauga although I suspect if the problem is in one title it's in all of them] where I looked at fatigue recovery did have the optional rule checked. It's an optional rule I always have checked, probably out of habit. In the interests of overcoming the problem, and better simulation, it seems like a habit I should break.

In terms of trenches, I think that is easily overcome by the players adopting a house rule for their games. Such action would still leave it open for those who want to play what-ifs and see what would happen if there were battlefield trenches in the early/mid war years to do so.

FoW remains an unsolved problem with the only viable option seeming to be to not use it and use EFoW instead.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:21 pm 

nsimms wrote:
Everybody keeps saying to just use EFOW and problem is solved. Some of us strongly dislike EFOW so that is not a solution for us.

What don't you like about it? The LOS aspect or seeing less information on enemy strength?

I am curious because I have thought it would be interesting to design or play a wargame that emphasized very realistic FOW. For example, only seeing the hexes on the map that are within LOS of your units. Everything else blank. Etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:39 pm 

Fog of War is important and factual.

In the Corps a we had a SPOTREP we would call in on enemy locations and size. IF you saw enemy in the field you would call in or report first the general size of the unit or enemies (ie. 1XX), Activity: In the open, in defended positions etc.... , Location: grid or coordinate style for call of fire or in general reference to your know position, Identification of the Unit if possible based on standards or other ID markers, TIME in which enemy was spotted, Equipment: that may be important (i.e. artillery, trucks, anti-tank, tanks, etc.) and final Remarks that may be important: direction of travel, etc.

In any case, I think the EFoW does a fine job in the games we play. Logrus, your idea of using a more defined FoW would be interesting to, especially in a meeting engagement type action, where you may not even be able to see the terrain, without actually seeing it.... neat idea!

CSA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:52 pm 

I dislike both the loss of LOS from any hex on the map and the lack of intel on the enemy strength. Both go too far in my opinion and so I would rather play with JTS 3.0 version. The quest for realism is admirable but will never be totally achieved. For example, you can stick a one man unit five miles out on your flank and the rest of your army instantly sees what he/she sees and I can't ever visualize them fixing that. If you like EFOW, then that's great and I don't want to take it from you. I also don't want my JTS 3.0 LOS/intel taken from me either.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:24 pm 

Correction: I am also seeing the fatigue bug too.

https://www.wargame.ch/board/acwgc/view ... 99#p120299

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:15 pm 

It appears in at least some of the Forgotten Battles scenarios the PDTs are markedly different to what I have been used to. More likelihood that you can fire at an adjacent unit and not hit anything.
Easily modified I know, but it did take me by surprise!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:01 pm 

In case of FB I won't wonder if this was purposely done. With battles more or less all over the US and over the course of the war it's unlikely that all should use the same.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:00 pm 

In Gettysburg 4.0 some of the supply units have unit pictures that look like infantry instead of a wagon. Has anyone noticed this? Has it always been that way? Is it in other titles?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:45 pm 

Logrus Pattern wrote:
In Gettysburg 4.0 some of the supply units have unit pictures that look like infantry instead of a wagon. Has anyone noticed this? Has it always been that way? Is it in other titles?

I don't know if it has always been that way, but it has for quite awhile.