American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Club-Wide Warning
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:30 pm 

Gentlemen,

Just over two weeks ago, I was delighted to announce to you all that General Blake Strickler had been awarded the very first Washington Medal of Merit for his service to us all. Blake's contributions here are many and varied, but I think we would all agree that his tournaments have given a lot of fun to virtually all of us. As you all know, Blake does this because he enjoys it - it's his hobby space & his spare time, just as it is for all of us. I would like to think we all recognise the importance of that.

I was therefore deeply disappointed to hear from Blake today, saying that the communications in relation to the Gettysburg tournament have been unacceptably rude. The main catalyst appears to be a dispute over artillery hex limits. If I'm honest, it doesn't really matter what the point of dispute is - what matters is the tone in which members from either side of the Mason-Dixon have carried on. It is not acceptable. By all means disagree - we all do that - but disagreement must be polite & respectful. My marker will always be: would it be acceptable to say this to a friend in a physical wargames club, with metal miniatures & styrofoam terrain? I'll go further - you should each be aiming to make sure the person you're playing feel like they want to go for a beer with you after the game. It is, after all, only a game.

Clubs like this die without a great deal of fuss. Gradually, the forums become quieter; it becomes harder and harder to find opponents. People simply stop showing up. One day somebody simply posts that owing to continued lack of engagement, the ACWGC is closed. The End.

Well, I'm going to do everything in my power to stop that happening to this fantastic community of ours. We're lucky in our team-mates, and we're lucky in our opponents. We're lucky to have Blake, and everyone else who puts their shoulder to the wheel to make this place fun to be. So please - find a way to compromise, politely and respectfully, over artillery hex limits. If you have a fundamental position, then please recognise you'll need to compromise somewhere else.

I would really like to draw a line under this topic. Please make sure that happens.

ACWGC President 2022 - 2024

Marshall's Brigade 'The St Andrews Greys', 2nd (Gator Alley) Division, Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: A Club-Wide Warning
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 pm 

Well said General Marshall.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:26 pm 

I completely agree. I know I can be a hard person to get along with but I don't want to be known as inflexible anymore than anyone else wants to be perceived as that. If we are all willing to compromise more than we would all be better off. I will do my share.

Artillery Limits have become a rallying cry for many in the past month and I can see now how far the two groups are taking it and I agree it is stressful and too far.

I will reevaluate my own position and seek to more fully embrace the spirit of compromise in the club.

Apologies to Blake and the Club leaders if I caused any problems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:36 pm 

I have no objections, nor does anyone else "in charge" on the Cabinet, to players using whatever rules they can get someone to agree to in a private game. That is the business of the player's involved.

But in Club Tournaments, the rules are what they are. If you don't like them, don't play. I've done these for a few years now and only received 1 email asking about the rules before this year. With the explosion of the topic of Artillery Limits, I have gotten more than half a dozen in just a few days. People are entrenched on both sides of the issue and would like me to "pick a side" and decide how people should play. I won't do it. No matter what number I choose, I can't win. So I am leaving it up to the players in the games to work out between themselves. This is the same policy it has always been in the club and in every tournament.

Remember, they are just games. The actual war ended in 1865.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:10 pm 

I hear what General Marshall has said and I support him! I also totally support General Strickler.

A BIG Thank You to both these gentlemen for all that they do for our beloved Club.

"Be civil to all; serviceable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none." - Benjamin Franklin

Army of the Tennessee
USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:25 pm 

Gaming differences of opinion are acceptable but civility should be observed. If members are unable to agree on gaming terms they should both give a little more or just not play and move on. Preferably just give a little more. Just a game.

Army of Northern Virginia Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:37 pm 

As regards the comment "The main catalyst appears to be a dispute over artillery hex limits" that matter is easily resolved. Rule 6.2.1 is quite clear, opponents can agree to introduce any house rules they see fit to introduce. If they don't agree there is no requirement that they play that particular opponent at all.
In regard to artillery stacking my opinion has always been quite clear (https://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=22657). It is based upon the historical reality (US Field Manual) that you simply can't deploy more than eight guns in a 125-yard stretch. That house rule was first introduced to me by a Union member who was interested in improving the simulation value of the games. The desire for better simulation is why we also have Club 'house rules' (Rule 6.1).

As for the abuse there is never any need for that. After all, they are just games. People should state their position and keep to the facts. Rule 1.1.3 covers this as no abusive language will be tolerated in any matter related to the Club.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

Last edited by Quaama on Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:43 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>,

I agree with all General Marshall has said and indeed with the views of all the other eminent gentlemen who have posted, in support, also.

In particular, Blake Strickler has dedicated a huge element of time, energy and resources to providing for us within the Club, not just the tournaments but his MP games and indeed much more. He is not responsible for the artillery stacking limits within the games and therefore cannot be expected to be held accountable for them.

Flexibility, compromise, readiness to appreciate, understand and consider another point of view along with civility, gentlemanly behaviour and sound common sense must, for the good of all, prevail.
I further agree with General Marshall that a line needs to be drawn under this topic and the sooner we do so the better for all.

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:15 pm 

I also wanted to extend my thanks to General Marshall for posting this, as well as offer my support to the great work Blake does for us all. We all benefit from the many things Blake does for the Club, but the tournaments are so crucial to our continued success. It's a continuous stream of activity, with something new for us all! It keeps us engaged and keeps the Club rolling along, especially with no new games from WDS on the horizon. I know we've had a lot of great new officers join us in the past several years and they have been blessed with only knowing a time where tournaments are ongoing. This wasn't always the case in the past and keeping the momentum going, without something like Blake's contributions, can be a lot more work. I, along with other past leaders in the Club, know that first hand. Especially when there are other tasks & projects that need one's attention. Blake frees up the ability for other leaders to focus on different aspects of the Club, which gives us all the best experience possible.

What folks are saying here is important to keep in mind. Obviously the issue that the latest update to the games has made, will take time for folks to find other like minded members to play with. Civility is key though! We're all here for the fun and we're all here on our own accord & time.

It's all about the fun and as the late and venerable General John Dragan would say "It's better to win a friend than it is to win a battle."