American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 4.01 Updates
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:16 pm 

I see the 4.01 updates are out.

https://wargameds.com/pages/updates-civil-war-battles

Stewart's Corps
Army of Tennessee
Confederate Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: 4.01 Updates
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:38 pm 

Awesome! Just in time for the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:52 pm 

I will not be updating for any of my current games [one using JTS v3 and four using WDS v4]. It seems too risky as it invites possible conflict in file exchange. Any new games I will gladly play on v4.1 in preference to v4.0.

What happens if one player updates and the other does not?
In an existing game where one updates and the other does not, does a player using 4.0 get the better fatigue recovery (and the odd FoW situation if being used) while a player who changes to 4.1 gets a lower rate of fatigue recovery?

I think it best to play out existing games under the version they started with and thereby avoid any conflicts or arguments.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:45 pm 

Quaama wrote:
I will not be updating for any of my current games [one using JTS v3 and four using WDS v4]. It seems too risky as it invites possible conflict in file exchange. Any new games I will gladly play on v4.1 in preference to v4.0.

What happens if one player updates and the other does not?
In an existing game where one updates and the other does not, does a player using 4.0 get the better fatigue recovery (and the odd FoW situation if being used) while a player who changes to 4.1 gets a lower rate of fatigue recovery?

I think it best to play out existing games under the version they started with and thereby avoid any conflicts or arguments.

I have to agree, I regret. It's most unfortunate with Big East only after commencing but the possibility of conflicts is too great and having regard to WDS's recommendation to complete ongoing games under current version. It's a pain though, it'll be a good while before we can update. A "heads up" would have been good :roll:

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:57 am 

I currently only have battles going in Antietam and Overland so I decided to upgrade my remaining CW games. I started with Forgotten Campaigns.

I've looked all over for how to change the toolbar back to the 'traditional' format and can't find it. I've sent a note to Rich Hamilton, hoping there is a way I just haven't found.

I read somewhere they made all the toolbars standard, across all genres of their games. I think what I read said something about this new style of toolbar being the toolbar used in the WDS Modern Wars games.

Well, I'm not playing Modern Wars games, and I don't like the new toolbars at all. This is almost enough to make me give up on these games. I'm serious.

I started with the Talonsoft versions of these games. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. When HPS came out with the new versions, I loved them, too. In fact, I haven't had any problems with any other updates/upgrades. But with this new toolbar, I'll have to learn how to play these games all over again. I think I'm too old for that.

I'll bring my current games I'm on to a close and we'll see what happens after that. I'll probably just have to spend some time with Forgotten Campaigns and see if I can learn the new toolbar. If it's too much trouble, I'll just focus on my club administrative duties until my term is up. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:29 am 

dmallory wrote:
I currently only have battles going in Antietam and Overland so I decided to upgrade my remaining CW games. I started with Forgotten Campaigns.

I've looked all over for how to change the toolbar back to the 'traditional' format and can't find it. I've sent a note to Rich Hamilton, hoping there is a way I just haven't found.

I read somewhere they made all the toolbars standard, across all genres of their games. I think what I read said something about this new style of toolbar being the toolbar used in the WDS Modern Wars games.

Well, I'm not playing Modern Wars games, and I don't like the new toolbars at all. This is almost enough to make me give up on these games. I'm serious.

I started with the Talonsoft versions of these games. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. When HPS came out with the new versions, I loved them, too. In fact, I haven't had any problems with any other updates/upgrades. But with this new toolbar, I'll have to learn how to play these games all over again. I think I'm too old for that.

I'll bring my current games I'm on to a close and we'll see what happens after that. I'll probably just have to spend some time with Forgotten Campaigns and see if I can learn the new toolbar. If it's too much trouble, I'll just focus on my club administrative duties until my term is up. :cry:

I can't see that there is any option to change it. Unlike previous versions where you had an option in toolbars now there is just the one and it's not really either of the two (Classic or Standard) that were previously available.

The new toolbar differs from the previous two in layout and some other things (e.g. Size - Large is the old Medium, Medium is the old Small, and Small is new and Minute [I haven't got a hope of seeing the new Small at a glance]). I only discovered this new toolbar yesterday when I downloaded WDS v4.1 for my first time to start a new game. As there are now extra 'buttons in the toolbar they do not fit as well so if you have it in Medium (the old Small) it now takes up two lines instead of one thereby decreasing space for the battlemap.
I'm going to have to take extra care as I'm sure mistakes will be made and my units will suffer accordingly.

First Corps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:24 am 

dmallory wrote:

Hi, Dave,

I consider myself a dinosaur in terms of adjusting to new technology, but I didn't have any trouble adapting to the new toolbar, once I figured out how to enlarge it to medium. You can even break it down into sections to simplify things. For example, if you're just moving, select the red unit section and you will have only those icons dealing with movement, facing, digging in, etc. If you have a question, hover the cursor over the icon and it will tell you. If that doesn't work, use the drop-down menus at the very top. Whatever you do, please don't leave us! :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:45 pm 

Better get used to it, the new toolbar is a good improvement even over the one we had previously.
Really, it's just a matter of getting used to it and seeing & using the benefits it brings, there is surely no need to "learn the game again".

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:34 pm 

I agree with DW that the new toolbar is pretty cumbersome and I am not a not a big fan... but... whatcha gonna do? I do hope that a future update might return the option of selecting which toolbar interface to use.

WDS caters to a group of pretty "set in their ways" gamers who have been doing X Y and Z for many years now when they play. When you throw us a curveball we respond.... well.... just like hitters did back in the 1870s when Candy Cummings threw the actual first curveball during a baseball game.... "I object, sir!"

Looks like we will have to adapt though. I know I can retrain my brain to click in the right places, but it is going to take a while as I had gotten to where I knew where the buttons on the toolbar were in my sleep. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:13 pm 

Blake wrote:
I agree with DW that the new toolbar is pretty cumbersome and I am not a not a big fan... but it is going to take a while as I had gotten to where I knew where the buttons on the toolbar were in my sleep. :mrgreen:

My thoughts exactly. I've been using the old toolbar (or something very similar) for nearly 20 years now (if not longer). Like Blake (and, I expect, many others) I knew right where the buttons were to do what I wanted to do. Not only are the buttons now in different places, with different icons, but it looks like I will have to stop and guess which category ("Unit", "Combat", etc.) the button I'm looking for will be in. I don't replay turns (of course) and I can see all sorts of issues - like accidently clicking on what appears to be a trident and changing the formation of a unit, then having to change it back, wasting all those movement points.

I'll start playing around with the one game I have upgraded. I would much rather know what I'm doing when I engage in battle than have to take three times as long just to figure out how to change formation, move, fire, etc. each unit.

If there is some advantage to the new toolbar, I wish someone would share that with us. What makes it better? If I knew that, I might be more amenable to the change.

And it isn't like it would hurt WDS sales if I never bought another one, since I already have all the Civil War games (and a few others, which I haven't played in years anyway). Still, for the sake of those of us who have been around supporting these games all along, I would like to see the option of being able to select the old traditional toolbar - or, at the least, an explanation of why it was changed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:25 pm 

One bit of advice I just discovered is to "Settings" then "Toolbar" and select "Category" and then finally click on "Static All" on the bottom.

I don't know why, but this toolbar doesn't confuse me as much. Maybe because the buttons are bigger or something. More familiar.

In a perfect world we could all personalize our toolbar buttons by clicking and dragging them where we'd like to have them... I know it won't happen but if it did...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:35 pm 

"One bit of advice I just discovered is to "Settings" then "Toolbar" and select "Category" and then finally click on "Static All" on the bottom."

That worked beautifully for me. If I do that then select Small it is the same as the previous Standard Small on previous versions. All are lined up in the order they used to be in and they fit on one line as well. [Unfortunately, those who used the Classic icons can no longer access them as that option is unavailable.]

First Corps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:45 pm 

Generals Strickler & Swanson - Thank you for that bit of hand-holding! Now at least I won't have to dig through categories to try and find the button that does what I want to do!

Now all I have to re-learn is the button icons. (When I see that trident that's for 'Change Formation', I think 'Charge!' My first instinct is that button is the way I order a melee now! (I do tend to over-think things sometimes. :( )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:00 pm 

Just started a battle in Ozark 4.01. My esteemed opponent is commanding the US Army of the Southwest at Pea Ridge. The General can speak for himself if he wants to, but Old Ben McCullouch and I actually like the new tool bar options so far. I'm using the Medium setting and finding the view easy on the old eyes. The color coding is nice. Old Ben's actually almost color blind since San Antonio, but I took to it readily enough. Only needed a few turns to get used to the groupings. I like being able to select a larger display of fewer icons. Over here in our camp, and based on our limited field test, we rate the upgrade as worth the effort.

Salute!

1/3/III ANV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:03 pm 

Besides "Forgotten Campaigns", I've now upgraded Corinth" (for a multi-player game I signed on to). Now that I've used the tip provided above and played around with it a little, I admit these new toolbars/buttons aren't as tough as I was afraid they were going to be.

I also like the new "Previous Stack" button - that will come in handy as I'm bouncing through each unit and (as often happens) I 'bounce' too fast, missing a unit - and not knowing which unit I missed. Currently, I have to go through the entire list again - which, in large scenarios, can be quite time-consuming. Now I'll be able to just back up and see which unit I missed!