American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:09 pm 

mihalik wrote:
Quaama wrote:
The Shenandoah Campaign I was playing has had to be abandoned as I believe the campaign system to be badly broken (it is corrupted). My opponent and I finished the first battle and went to the next and soon saw (as mentioned above) that there had been no carryover of losses.

In addition to that anomaly we noticed that neither of us given a melee stage during our turn. As soon as each of us clicked 'End Turn' after Move/Fire our entire turn ended and we were prompted to send our file to the opponent. My opponent suggested that maybe the Optional Rules had changed. I checked, they had, dramatically so. When we began the campaign all Optional Rules were all checked (except Manual Defensive Fire; Artillery Capture; Mixed Organizational Penalty; and Extreme Fog of War. Then, for the second battle, the only checked Optional Rules were Quality Fire Modifiers; Quality Melee Modifiers; Isolation Rules; and Weak Zone-Of-Control (all others were unchecked). Even with that odd selection I can not see how we both could not be given a melee stage during our turn. Surely, the melee stage should be built into the basics of the game and be present no matter what variations we may have selected.
Reluctantly, we have had to abandon our game and campaign due to such major corruption issues.

Attention Ned Simms:
Did you and your opponent encounter any other issues in your Gettysburg campaign in addition to the failed 'loss carryover'? My suspicion is that all the campaigns may be similarly corrupted.

In Turn, without optional melee resolution checked, all movement, fire and melee are in the same phase.

Thank-you, that explains why there was no separate melee stage. Still, I would say that the campaign system is broken. They do not operate as they are supposed to, and as advised to me by JTS late in 2020. I'm very disappointed in that as I had long wanted to play the Valley 1862 campaign and that is not possible anymore unless I'm prepared to tolerate the farcical situation of men rising from the dead [which I'm not].

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:15 pm 

As I was writing to WDS about another matter where there Support section gave me incorrect advice, I have reported this 'campaign problem' to WDS as well.

First Corps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:40 pm 

Checked my Gettysburg Campaign turn and all options were still loaded correctly. My opponent is playing campaigns at Ozark and Vicksburg that are proceeding without any problems and losses are carrying forward.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:32 pm 

WDS asked for some files from our Shenandoah campaign so I've sent the last two turns of the first battle and the first two of the next. I specifically mentioned that there were carryover issues in the Shenandoah and in a Gettysburg camapign.
I'm glad to hear that two titles appear clear of the problem.

First Corps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:40 pm 

Quaama wrote:
mihalik wrote:
Quaama wrote:
The Shenandoah Campaign I was playing has had to be abandoned as I believe the campaign system to be badly broken (it is corrupted). My opponent and I finished the first battle and went to the next and soon saw (as mentioned above) that there had been no carryover of losses.

In addition to that anomaly we noticed that neither of us given a melee stage during our turn. As soon as each of us clicked 'End Turn' after Move/Fire our entire turn ended and we were prompted to send our file to the opponent. My opponent suggested that maybe the Optional Rules had changed. I checked, they had, dramatically so. When we began the campaign all Optional Rules were all checked (except Manual Defensive Fire; Artillery Capture; Mixed Organizational Penalty; and Extreme Fog of War. Then, for the second battle, the only checked Optional Rules were Quality Fire Modifiers; Quality Melee Modifiers; Isolation Rules; and Weak Zone-Of-Control (all others were unchecked). Even with that odd selection I can not see how we both could not be given a melee stage during our turn. Surely, the melee stage should be built into the basics of the game and be present no matter what variations we may have selected.
Reluctantly, we have had to abandon our game and campaign due to such major corruption issues.

Attention Ned Simms:
Did you and your opponent encounter any other issues in your Gettysburg campaign in addition to the failed 'loss carryover'? My suspicion is that all the campaigns may be similarly corrupted.

In Turn, without optional melee resolution checked, all movement, fire and melee are in the same phase.

Thank-you, that explains why there was no separate melee stage. Still, I would say that the campaign system is broken. They do not operate as they are supposed to, and as advised to me by JTS late in 2020. I'm very disappointed in that as I had long wanted to play the Valley 1862 campaign and that is not possible anymore unless I'm prepared to tolerate the farcical situation of men rising from the dead [which I'm not].

Optional rules can be changed at the beginning of each campaign scenario by the player who moves first. Thus you can't lock in the optional rules for a whole campaign. If you play against multiple opponents online, I advise making a habit of checking the optional rules at the start of each campaign scenario. If you have the first move of the first scenario but your opponent has the first move of the second scenario, the second scenario uses whatever rules your opponent had selected to start the scenario. If your opponent played any kind of game against another opponent with a preference for optional rules that are different than yours, and played since beginning a campaign with you, then you might end up playing with vastly different rules for the second scenario if you don't check. It only seems like a bug that the program is not carrying the rules over between scenarios.

Regarding casualties not carrying over in Gettysburg: did you end up playing "the big battle (TM)" right after Brandywine? By that I mean, did you end up playing a major battle that ends the campaign regardless of outcome? I played a campaign that went like that, and my destroyed units were replenished for the next battle (the big one). Only on longer campaigns did losses carry over noticeably. I haven't played enough Gettysburg campaigns be able to state my observations with confidence.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:04 pm 

4.01 version Atlanta campaign worked as it should have with casualties carried forward.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:29 pm 

nsimms wrote:
4.01 version Atlanta campaign worked as it should have with casualties carried forward.

How about any v4.02 titles? There was nothing in the Changelog so I'll be very pleasantly surprised if it has been fixed for all titles.

First Corps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:57 am 

I completed a test against the AI in the Shenandoah Campaign v4.02 (Jackson's Valley Campaign, 1862). The AI was, as usual, badly beaten and I progressed the game to the end. However, the game refused to present me with the next scenario (McDowell?) in the campaign. Consequently, I was unable to check the situation regarding loss carryover. I even closed the game and tried to reload it but I kept being presented with the last turn and the Victory screen.
The campaign seemed broken. In addition to being unable to progress from First Kernstown to the next scenario the game operated as if the Optional Rule Artillery Capture had been selected. [I had been careful to ensure it was unchecked and it even showed as unchecked when I checked the Optional Rules early on in the game when I realised it was operating as if Artillery Capture was selected.]

So, no pleasant surprise in Shenandoah. If changes were applied, or not applied, equally across all titles then the others probably will not work properly either.

First Corps