American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:55 am 

Two opponents using WDS 4.01 Gettysburg are fighting a campaign. The first scenario at Brandy Station worked well (most particularly for my opponent) but as we advanced to the second scenario of the campaign, none of the losses were carried forward to include captured/killed commanders and wiped out units restored to full strength.

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:37 pm 

That's very disturbing news.

An opponent and I are engaged in the first battle of a Shenandoah Campaign. Towards the end the first battle I'll make some notes to see if there is a miracle in the Valley as all killed, wounded and captured from the first battle return to serve General Jackson in the second. Update to follow later, once results are known.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:36 pm 

I don't think that I have ever had Campaign losses carry over.

Hope it works for you, Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:12 am 

Denny Holt wrote:
I don't think that I have ever had Campaign losses carry over.

Hope it works for you, Paul.

Late in 2020 when I asked JTS some specific questions relating to this (see ACWGC Thread - https://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=22065&hilit) I was advised:
"... Generally speaking losses will carry over between battles - and if the next battle is within a day or two fatigue can even carry over. Gun captures are not added to the OOB however. Some campaigns are simply a series of historical battles, but not with losses carrying over, as they might just be an "overview" of battles played during a campaign, but not with necessarily the same forces ... This will be noted in the beginning description of the campaign if it applies."

So, losses and other things should carry over. I looked at the beginning description and there's nothing to indicate that losses wouldn't carry over. I even had a look through the Campaign Designer Notes and I can't see any indication there either.

If losses, and other things, in one battle are not taken into account for the next then what is the point of playing a campaign?

First Corps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:53 pm 

Losses do not carry over. I just did a quick test run through Perryville and purposefully had Starkweather's whole brigade get captured along with Rousseau. Sure enough at Stones River both Rousseau and Starkweather's Brigade were back in full strength.

But WDS gives us a ton of great stand-along games so I am not complaining if Campaign games don't quite work as expected. I've always avoided them anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:09 pm 

Blake wrote:
Losses do not carry over. I just did a quick test run through Perryville and purposefully had Starkweather's whole brigade get captured along with Rousseau. Sure enough at Stones River both Rousseau and Starkweather's Brigade were back in full strength.

But WDS gives us a ton of great stand-along games so I am not complaining if Campaign games don't quite work as expected. I've always avoided them anyways.

Hmmm. That's both annoying and disappointing. It means that either JTS lied to me in the past or that WDS has done something weird to the campaigns.

In the first battle of the Valley Campaign I tried to inflict heavy casualties on the Union manpower in an endeavour to make my job easier in later ones. [It cost me some guns but casualties were roughly 2:1.] The next battle should be McDowell and a few of the same Confederate units due to appear there were reduced to half strength at Kernstown so I'll soon see whether Jackson's men can rise from the dead.

First Corps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:41 pm 

It's confirmed. The dead have risen and are marching with General Jackson towards McDowell.

First Corps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:46 pm 

:lol: :lol: Well Easter is not long gone and that's what happens then :shock:

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:05 am 

Afaik in the past things worked. So it may be that this problem is new and may come from file relocation or other reorganizing things that came into the games in the recent years. Could also be some internal adjustments like OOB, PDT, etc. as there were adjustment to align a lot of stuff and make the games more similar.
Anyhow, report it and I'm sure this will be, like always, fixed sooner or later.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:21 pm 

The Shenandoah Campaign I was playing has had to be abandoned as I believe the campaign system to be badly broken (it is corrupted). My opponent and I finished the first battle and went to the next and soon saw (as mentioned above) that there had been no carryover of losses.

In addition to that anomaly we noticed that neither of us given a melee stage during our turn. As soon as each of us clicked 'End Turn' after Move/Fire our entire turn ended and we were prompted to send our file to the opponent. My opponent suggested that maybe the Optional Rules had changed. I checked, they had, dramatically so. When we began the campaign all Optional Rules were all checked (except Manual Defensive Fire; Artillery Capture; Mixed Organizational Penalty; and Extreme Fog of War. Then, for the second battle, the only checked Optional Rules were Quality Fire Modifiers; Quality Melee Modifiers; Isolation Rules; and Weak Zone-Of-Control (all others were unchecked). Even with that odd selection I can not see how we both could not be given a melee stage during our turn. Surely, the melee stage should be built into the basics of the game and be present no matter what variations we may have selected.
Reluctantly, we have had to abandon our game and campaign due to such major corruption issues.

Attention Ned Simms:
Did you and your opponent encounter any other issues in your Gettysburg campaign in addition to the failed 'loss carryover'? My suspicion is that all the campaigns may be similarly corrupted.

First Corps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:57 am 

We have had no other quirks in the Gettysburg campaign other than losses not being carried forward. When I recieve the turn back, I will double check the options (which I habitually do at the beginning of each game and probably did this time as well). But there is one quirk in that my opponent is out smarting me and out punching me. I don't think that I can blame WDS for that though.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:15 am 

LOL. Although your skills are well known (and known to me personally) you are opposed by one of the best from I Corps, ANV. I'm sure he shall provide you with very capable opposition.

First Corps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:58 am 

Quaama wrote:
The Shenandoah Campaign I was playing has had to be abandoned as I believe the campaign system to be badly broken (it is corrupted). My opponent and I finished the first battle and went to the next and soon saw (as mentioned above) that there had been no carryover of losses.

In addition to that anomaly we noticed that neither of us given a melee stage during our turn. As soon as each of us clicked 'End Turn' after Move/Fire our entire turn ended and we were prompted to send our file to the opponent. My opponent suggested that maybe the Optional Rules had changed. I checked, they had, dramatically so. When we began the campaign all Optional Rules were all checked (except Manual Defensive Fire; Artillery Capture; Mixed Organizational Penalty; and Extreme Fog of War. Then, for the second battle, the only checked Optional Rules were Quality Fire Modifiers; Quality Melee Modifiers; Isolation Rules; and Weak Zone-Of-Control (all others were unchecked). Even with that odd selection I can not see how we both could not be given a melee stage during our turn. Surely, the melee stage should be built into the basics of the game and be present no matter what variations we may have selected.
Reluctantly, we have had to abandon our game and campaign due to such major corruption issues.

Attention Ned Simms:
Did you and your opponent encounter any other issues in your Gettysburg campaign in addition to the failed 'loss carryover'? My suspicion is that all the campaigns may be similarly corrupted.

I assume you updated while playing the campaign?
Some members are already reluctant to do that while playing a normal scenario, if you did update it seems a no-go in a campaign.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:12 pm 

C. Hecht wrote:
Quaama wrote:

Attention Ned Simms:

I assume you updated while playing the campaign?
Some members are already reluctant to do that while playing a normal scenario, if you did update it seems a no-go in a campaign.

We both upgraded to WDS v4.01 prior to starting the campaign.

First Corps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:57 pm 

Quaama wrote:

Attention Ned Simms:

In Turn, without optional melee resolution checked, all movement, fire and melee are in the same phase.