American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:12 am 

Apparently it has been released today.

https://www.slitherine.com/store

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:28 pm 

I had been watching this previously, thanks for the reminder. On a point of interest, I have no experience of the Strategic Command Series of games from Fury Software and having only recently acquired Gary Grigsby's War Between the States, basically the same thing, strategic level ACW.

The GG game is an older iteration but from a highly regarded and indeed renowned developer of such games i.e. WitE, WitW, WitP etc etc.

How might they compare ?

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:59 pm 

Karl McEntegart wrote:
I had been watching this previously, thanks for the reminder. On a point of interest, I have no experience of the Strategic Command Series of games from Fury Software and having only recently acquired Gary Grigsby's War Between the States, basically the same thing, strategic level ACW.

The GG game is an older iteration but from a highly regarded and indeed renowned developer of such games i.e. WitE, WitW, WitP etc etc.

How might they compare ?

Here is a thread on the GG game.

https://www.wargame.ch/board/acwgc/view ... it=grigsby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:06 pm 

Thank you for the link, appreciated. As I said, I have GGWBTS and I was more thinking along the lines of the Strategic Command Series and how that system might compare to the GG game. Obviously with the ACW version we don't know just yet but the Strategic Command series has WW1 & WW2 games. These games were released from 2016 thru 2019 so reasonably new to market and by all accounts appear to have good reviews.

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:56 pm 

Karl McEntegart wrote:
Thank you for the link, appreciated. As I said, I have GGWBTS and I was more thinking along the lines of the Strategic Command Series and how that system might compare to the GG game. Obviously with the ACW version we don't know just yet but the Strategic Command series has WW1 & WW2 games. These games were released from 2016 thru 2019 so reasonably new to market and by all accounts appear to have good reviews.

Well, here is the manual.

https://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Strateg ... Manual.pdf

I have looked at the WWII version of Strategic Command but never played it. Just too much detail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:36 pm 

Thank you kindly for the SC manual, most appreciated indeed.

282 pages ! WoW......thats definitely akin to a GG game manual.....did you say "too much detail" :lol:

I have just completed an initial read of GG War in the Pacific Admirals Edition manual, 329 pages, and that too had a 'bit' of detail in it :shock:

Thanks again.

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:36 pm 

Thank you kindly for the SC manual, most appreciated indeed.

282 pages ! WoW......thats definitely akin to a GG game manual.....did you say "too much detail" :lol:

I have just completed an initial read of GG War in the Pacific Admirals Edition manual, 329 pages, and that too had a 'bit' of detail in it :shock:

Thanks again.

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:53 pm 

On Steam now. Played Axis & Allies against my nephew on Steam. Thought it worked well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1966 ... 8-87567333

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:50 pm 

Strategic Command: American Civil War is a faster paced and more simplified rendering of playing the entire Civil War. It has a much simpler production system. Victory is based off of "Fighting Spirit" which is their name for National Morale. Likewise, its supply system is handled based on territory occupied, rail and road system, major supply points and army HQ's. It has a Research system that allows you some customization of how you want your land and naval units to develop.

Has a very curious handling of unit sizes for the land armies. Units start on map as small as Regiments. You can build Brigade and Division size units. Through Research you can enable being able to build Corps. But these never organize like the bigger sims into Armies. You have HQ but they command whatever is within their command radius, provide bonuses and help supply. Naval units vary from a range of River and Ocean class units. River units include gunboats, timber clads, ironclads. Ocean includes Frigates, Ironclads, Monitors, and Gunboats. They also include a Reb Submarine just to be cute. There are Indian units as well. Also, some specialized units like Engineers, Rangers, Marines, Siege Artillery, Railroad guns, and such.

It isn't a very realistic simulation of the Civil War on the strategic level like some of the other games on the subject. But then I can finish a turn in the game in 30 minutes. It is sort of like what the old Third Reich game was to WW II. Very playable but not very realistic. It does include Diplomacy and external Events that let you change the direction of the game. You can try for foreign intervention or not. You can choose whether to put optional forces into the West and such.

If you want a good fast paced game especially for PBEM with a Civil War flavor, this game is worth buying. Hopefully it will be popular enough to have opponents.