American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:20 pm 

Gentlemen!

This July marks the 25th Anniversary of the ACWGC. A quarter-century of fun and games! And the best is still to come.

Since 1997 the CSA has recruited 1,245 Members to our ranks. Of these there are 725 listed in the Department of Records as having worn the Gray. The rest exist only in our older Excel spreadsheets as mere names who once graced our fine Club before the days of the Department of Records.

To commemorate the occasion we ask our fellow Confederates to take a moment and write a brief note here in remembrance and appreciation of the Club. Without the combined efforts of all 1,245 of us - from Bobby Adams to Martin Zvolensky (our numerical first and last officers) and from Pierre Desruisseaux to Grant Piper (our first member and our latest member to join) - we wouldn't be here right now.

Let the festivities begin!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:33 pm 

I was not one of the original members of the club, but it sure seems like it. I expect General Strickler can find out exactly when I joined, but I think it was in the late 1990's - so maybe I wasn't far behind.

I appreciate all the comradery, and all the battles. I've lost my share of them, but as the song goes, "You win some; You learn some".

Thanks for the memories!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:43 pm 

I rushed to be the first but I missed that honor. This club is great. I wish I had been in it from the start. So many good people here that it feels like a little community.

I raise my drink to all you otherins who are a fighting on the right side of the club.

Army of Northern Virginia Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:49 pm 

I joined in the late 90's as well, back when Talonsoft was around. Saw many come and go over the years, both blue and gray. Forgotten many of the names but not the people. Attended all the Tillercons and personally met some of the legends. Boy, wasn't the Tavern a rollicking place back in the old days!

Mike Mihalik
LtGen CSA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:39 am 

Amazing - I was not here from the beginning but have been around a while! Where do the years go?
Anyway thank you to all that make the Club work and opponents past and present.
Also thank you to John Tiller and the various game designers/testers etc over the years that made these games possible and transition from board to computer! Remember the days of counters being knocked out of position (cat/wife?) on the board on longer games!
Also a big thank you to Rich Hamilton and the support team - they have been hugely instrumental in the survival and growth of this genre of game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:32 am 

As a very new member to the club I cannot speak to the remembrance of it, but I can most certainly speak of my appreciation of it.

It has been, in my short time here, an eye opening experience for me. The comradeship, friendliness, help, assistance and guidance of the many long serving and indeed more recent members is deeply appreciated. The dedication, hard work and selflessness of those who initially set up the ACWGC 25 years ago, some of whom to this day continue to do so, make it, in my estimation, the premier Civil War gaming club. The continued support by JTS/WDS, the JTS Opponent Finder on FB and Richard Hamilton and his team have all in no small way also, I believe, and as previously mentioned, been instrumental in ensuring the success and survival of our club. Long may this continue to be the case that we may carry on our battles and indulge our passion into the next 25 years in the company of our many friends here.

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:54 am 

Thank you to all in the club who give us this place to play. And to the Confederates I am reminded of the "Wearing of the Gray" for this occasion.

Oh! should we reach that glorious place where waits a
Sparklin' crown,
For everyone who for the right his soldier life lay
Down.
God grant to us the privilege upon that happy day,
Of claspin' hands with those who fell while wearing of
The gray.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:55 am 

Hi and <salute> to all of you.

I have been playing these games for a long time, started with Talonsoft´s Battleground series.
I think i became a member in this fine club just 2 years ago, so its not for very long.
Joining this club was like finding my way home, it really felt that good.
Besides all the fun playing, i also got alot of new friends from all around the world, some in Gray and some in Blue.

Many thanks to all of you for being here, regards and <salute>!

BG Andreas Wessling
Stuart´s Cavalry
IV Division
I Corps

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:57 am 

What a pleasure the MDT has been over the years!

Glad to see you still have the Army of Georgia Memorial Spittoon in service, Wait, what's that? I think one of our old AoG officers is hugging that spittoon. Can anyone make out who it is? It has been a long time and these old eyes don't cut through the cigar fog like they once did.

Salute!

1/3/III ANV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:18 am 

Not sure how long I have been here. Late;ly not as active as I once was, but I still enjoy the games, the banter and the people. SALUTE!

"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:38 am 

I am a new member of the club but I must say that I am having a ball. At the moment I have five opponents and I am getting crushed by all of them. One thing though, I am learning how to play and one day I will do a bit of crushing. Good job gentlemen. Very good job.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:52 am 

I joined around 2000 and spent many years wearing the blue. Now wearing the Rebel gray. I have enjoyed the club for over two decades and have made many friends along the way. My thanks to everyone who has participated and especially those who have put in their time to do the administrative things past and present. Remembrance for those who are no longer with us.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:56 pm 

Man how time flies...I joined less than a year after inception I believe (in March 1998), finding the club through the old "Leadeaters" ladder. Had many great memories here with tons of game play, reunions meeting up on a few battlefields, the Tiller Cons and not a little bit of Admin work. ;-) Good to see you guys still going strong. There's more in the works for the games as well...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:10 pm 

Rich Hamilton wrote:
Man how time flies...I joined less than a year after inception I believe (in March 1998), finding the club through the old "Leadeaters" ladder. Had many great memories here with tons of game play, reunions meeting up on a few battlefields, the Tiller Cons and not a little bit of Admin work. ;-) Good to see you guys still going strong. There's more in the works for the games as well...

General Hamilton <Salute> Sir,

I'm sure I speak for many when I congratulate you on the outstanding work you and your team provide in affording us so much pleasure with the games. I personally watch and wait with no little anticipation of what may be in the 'works'

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:29 pm 

What a party! I will add my yeehaw to this shindig and wish everyone a good time. I join in the praise of those who have kept the confederacy going all these years.