American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:00 am 

Note from the HQ tent:

ACWGC, this has been a big past few weeks for the Army of the Potomac – firstly there was a reorganisation within the ranks.
The Army of the Potomac is now divided into three Corps, whereas we had previously been two Corps. Our two great Corps commanders, of Lt General Hecht (I Corps, commanding), and (now) Lt General Nelson (V Corps commanding) have been joined by veteran commander, General Mark Oakford (II Corps).

While our OOB can be found on our OOB page (well maintained by our Chief of Staff Gen Miller): https://www.unioneaglesonline.com/AotP1/AotP1-OOB.htm ,
I want to take a second to mention our Divisional Commanders, which we couldn’t do without. I know the AotP isn’t really that different than any of our armies in that regard, but these are my team, and they’re simply the best.

Lt General Hecht’s I Corps’ Divisional Commanders are:
• (now) General Schwartz: 1st Division
• Lt General Fantini: 2nd Division
• Mjr General Woods: 4th Division

General Oakford’s II Corps’ Divisional Commanders are:
• Mjr General Wheeler: 1st Division
• Colonel Tinling: 2nd Division
• Colonel Brooks: 3rd Division

Lt General Nelson’s V Corps’ Divisional Commanders are:
• Lt General Sickbert: 1st Division
• Mjr General Benjamin: 3rd Division
• General Dortch: 4th Division

There have been some promotions since 28 May, and I do admit that I will have to have a closer look at our valued Brigade members, to see who might be eligible for promotion, and that is something that I have not yet gotten to.
Notably: Bill Schwartz went to Lt General, then to General during this period. He has also opted to assist with the club administration of a division, as noted above.
Vic Nelson has achieved the well-deserved rank of Lt General.
Ron Brooks has achieved the, equally, well deserved of Colonel, and we’ll be looking to get Colonel Brooks on to Stars in no time at all.
Me? Ok, technically I went from Brigadier General to Lt General, and assumed the reins (I think officially) on 28 May 2022. It’s been a bit of a whirlwind process – I imagine for everyone.

The Army of the Potomac’s battle record for May and June 2022 is as follows:
May 2022
The Army was involved in 32 battles (with CSA club members).
• 5 Major Victories
• 3 Minor Victories
• 1 Draw
• 6 Minor Defeats
• 17 Major Defeats

June 2022
The Army was involved in 17 battles (with CSA club members). There was also 1 maneuver.
• 2 Major Victories
• 6 Draws
• 2 Minor Defeats
• 7 Major Defeats

I view every result as a win for the club; also I being fully aware of the environment of ribbing that goes on, I will put this into a bit of historical context – over 150 years ago (closer to 160 now) the same people that yucked it up that produced songs like ‘Richmond is a Hard Road to Travel, and ‘All Quiet Along the Potomac Tonight’ -those same people did not write too many songs about Appomattox Courthouse.

And I’ll point out that there was never any quit in the Army of the Potomac; ever. The war in the East was decided from May 1864–April 1865 from the forests of the Wilderness to the trenches surrounding Petersburg. It was tough; incredibly tough going for everyone.
I'll post a commander's intro a bit later. Business first. :)

But don’t get me wrong, I love our CSA members; we’d not have a club without them. I say this with all sincere respect.
<S>

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:52 am 

Introductions: I'm Steve Trauth, recently appointed as commander of our Army of the Potomac; I've been part of the club several different periods, and most recently starting again in April of this year.
I have been in and around the design space with John Tiller Software, since about 2008, and basically, I didn't really have the time for much administration or really even much PBEM. I'd been involved in some playtested, some graphic work/graphic coordination, and also some scenario design.

I was a tester for Campaign Overland for several years, although it would be fair to note that I have spent most of my time in WDS' Musket and Pike game engine. Although I suppose not so widely known is that my first work with Rich was while JT was publishing with HPS still, and I was involved in playtesting some 1776 add on. I’d been in and around the area since at least 2007.

I'd initially joined ACWGC in 2009, however I'd been playing Tiller designs since the 1990's, starting with Talonsoft's Battleground Waterloo, and Gettysburg. I'd gotten all of the Talonsoft Battleground series, and remember when you could get them in stores (still have some of the manuals, and still have the packaging for Waterloo). But before that, I played a lot of SPI's Terrible Swift Sword.

In ACWGC was mostly part of the Army of the Tennessee during my times in the club, however when I returned in this April I was put into the Army of the Potomac. I’d had a brief cup of coffee as a Divisional Commander in (I think) probably the XVI Corps -maybe. I can’t actually remember, but it would have been Dave Elkins’ group. It lasted (according to a recent look at DoR) about 3 months. It’s tough to do club level admin work, and project design work, so basically something had to give -at that time, it was all of the clubs; although more recently it was – well, the below.

Recently I had been looking into some family history, so I am more or less in a phase of looking into the Civil War again, and while I won't labour anyone with the details at this point, what it does mean is that I have started collecting a fair amount of additional reference material; some of which are letters/diaries, all of which can come in handy.

Also, I ought to mention, something that I guess will become a little obvious, it’s that I got into the 97th String Band way back from I think Civil War Magazine, as in like mail order before there was an internet. I guess I am a died on Civil War student. I hope to add in a few family history bits (not necessarily identifying them as such).

Well maybe one for the sake of this (note this is not the only connection with the Army of the Potomac -or even the Civil War in general, historically speaking), George B McClellan was a 7th cousin 4 times removed (twice over) -and there are at least 5 other combinations that are a bit further out. In a sense I am following in a distant cousin’s footsteps (sorta … I guess you’d have to say there was a little more at stake in real life than club admin duties).

At the same time, I am looking into doing some custom design work, and still have some graphic mods to get through. I'd talked to Scott Ludwig about sharing material with the site, so that looks to be on the cards at some point.

I probably ought to also mention I go by Steve Hdc on Facebook (where HDC is basically what Scenario Design Center had sort of been).

I just wanted to acknowledge what a privilege it is to be a part of the club; it’s been a great place for a long time – and I know I’ve only been a part of it for a, relatively, small period. That being said - I might have had discussions previously where I might have mentioned that I hate role-playing on line. Who knows ... it might be one of those things I end up lapsing into and out of. . . (an ACWGC version of a Freudian slip, I guess :D)

I do probably need to get some matches going in some Eastern Theater subjects, if for no other reason, than to get some starts on my own Theater’s ribbon. I guess if that is my only problem, I’m doing all right. 8)

<Salute Guys>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:41 pm 

S Trauth wrote:
Note from the HQ tent:

The Army of the Potomac’s battle record for May and June 2022 is as follows:
May 2022
The Army was involved in 32 battles (with CSA club members).
• 5 Major Victories
• 3 Minor Victories
• 1 Draw
• 6 Minor Defeats
• 17 Major Defeats

June 2022
The Army was involved in 17 battles (with CSA club members). There was also 1 maneuver.
• 2 Major Victories
• 6 Draws
• 2 Minor Defeats
• 7 Major Defeats

I view every result as a win for the club; also I being fully aware of the environment of ribbing that goes on, I will put this into a bit of historical context – over 150 years ago (closer to 160 now) the same people that yucked it up that produced songs like ‘Richmond is a Hard Road to Travel, and ‘All Quiet Along the Potomac Tonight’ -those same people did not write too many songs about Appomattox Courthouse.
<S>

I will not comment on the real war as you're bound to get me into trouble [again] if I do that but I can comment on this year's wargaming battles. I haven't looked at the June results yet but I have calculated all those to the end of May.
During May, First Corps ANV had the following results:
CSA Major Victories - 14;
CSA Minor Victories - 5;
USA Minor Victories - 2; and
USA Major Victories - 2.
Almost a 5:1 win/loss result. Our best month for this year thus far. The results for First Corps may decline soon although the winning ways of the CSA should continue overall (as one of our best Generals has recently moved to higher command in the West).

The win/loss totals I have for the year to May 31 are:
CSA Major Victories - 117;
CSA Minor Victories - 40;
USA Minor Victories - 32; and
USA Major Victories - 36.

Such disparity should continue as the Yankee armies are routed from east to west. Indeed my calculations reveal that in order to draw even with (not win against) the Confederacy, the Union will have to win battles for the rest of the year at a ratio of 2:1 and that two-thirds of those wins must be Major Victories. I can’t see that happening.

As you like the South's early songs here's another great one for your listening pleasure [https://youtu.be/eHp4uzb37_w?t=2].

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:55 pm 

It may look like you win more battles, but I have no doubt, just like my fellow officers, that we will win the war.
Maybe shortly Lt. Gen. Trauth will lead the AotP into Richmond, or what is left of it after your fleeing army is done plundering it.
A song to that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvjOG5gboFU

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:06 pm 

"I have no doubt, just like my fellow officers, that we will win the war."
Ahhh, what unbridled optimism (unjustified though it is).

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:13 pm 

:) Paul and I have talked a little before. But I mean, there are some areas that are priorities- one of which is going to communication with my guys. But that's something that I want to develop what the situation is within my side as a whole; I need to find out what is going on in a bigger picture sense, but I don't expect that the AotP forum to magically open up. While I could make one on my own host site, I want to not do that until I work out what all we (as a side) might have in progress. However this is not a discussion that I have yet had with our CoA -so it's more important not to preempt anything.

I guess I ought to point to an example that any southerner would understand - Nathanael Greene and 1781. Major General Greene did not win any battles in the 1781 campaign, however the campaign was a clear strategic victory. A little like Lee, Cornwallis was not able to replace losses, and his supply lines were in doubt to non-existent. Sound familiar? Essentially it is the basic situation that Virginia found itself in, in 1864.

But administratively speaking, I will acknowledge that I want to look into what would be a satisfying club experience for my group. Although I guess I haven't actually said much about that to my guys yet ---and in all honesty my own personal objective, is to feel comfortable in the army level muster requirements before going much further with things -sort of pacing myself. That's the most important part of my role at the moment -as that one is something that is solely my responsibility. It's big job, which will take a little time.