American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:44 pm 

I recently to WDS about an issue I noticed with a game incorrectly recording supply losses for the wrong side. I said:
"I recently completed Peninsula 08a - The Seven Days (Turn 68/407) and at the end the Victory Dialog showed supply losses as USA-0 and CSA-471. However, I do not recall the CSA incurring any losses to supply wagons although the USA did lose two intact ones and a couple of diminished ones in overrun melees. I don't recall this occurring before although I rarely check that detail. I'll check this in future games as it could mean the difference between winning and losing. Is this a problem solely with that scenario or does it extend to other Peninsula scenarios or to other titles?"

WDS is investigating and requested a file of the game which I sent to them earlier today. However, in another game I have begun (Antietam 065 South Mountain V1) I noticed another issue. During my last turn my artillery shot at a supply wagon and 3 points were removed from it (plus I think I removed a couple of supply points earlier in the game). However, the Victory Dialog shows 0 supply losses for both sides. I have now sent a file from that game to WDS as well.

It seems odd to me that there are issues in recording supply losses in two titles yet the issue is different in each one. Has anyone else noticed any issues with a game incorrectly recording supply losses (either not recording them or attributing them to the wrong side)?

As an aside, searching through some previous posts I saw that Ned Simms had posted about a supply issue in Gettysburg (https://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22949&hili). My Antietam supply issue could be the same as his (CSA supply losses are recorded but USA ones are not) but it is too early to say yet as the CSA has yet to lose any supply.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:51 pm 

WDS is great at supplying answers!!! :mrgreen:

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:50 pm 

WDS needs to have someone look at the coding and that will take some time. It would be helpful to know if others are seeing the issue I raised for Peninsula in that or other titles. It could also help if people check the Victory Dialog in their games to see if other odd things are happening in it for supply losses and VPs allocated for such losses (real or imagined by the game).

Such anomalies could make a difference in determining the victory level for games. The full detail for my Peninsula game did not effect the victory level but it terms of supply the final Victory Dialog said:
USA
Supply Losses - 0, Supply Point Loss - 1,260
CSA
Supply Losses - 471, Supply Point Loss - 235

I captured a few US supply wagons and inflicted losses but not enough to justify 1,260 VPs. The CSA lost some supply wagon points but nothing approaching 471. [I suspect the CSA total of 471 is the combined total of all supply used and lost whereas US probably used and lost about 630 supply wagon points (half of their Supply Point Loss).

First Corps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:44 pm 

WDS has now confirmed that the game titles are not correctly displaying losses for the Union in game titles checked. [Since my original posting I has also noticed in an Antietam scenario the Victory Dialog does not show any Supply Losses but does show Supply Point Losses as they accrue (at a rate of 1 VP for every 5 supply losses [other titles could have different rates] They intend to verify the point calculation for supply and attend to the matter in the next update later in the year.

There's still no clear understanding of what occurred in my Peninsula battle so if anyone is playing a scenario from that title it would be wise to pay attention to supply in the Victory Dialog. I'd certainly like to know of other experiences (good, bad or indifferent) in that title.

First Corps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:48 pm 

Quaama wrote:
WDS has now confirmed that the game titles are not correctly displaying losses for the Union in game titles checked. [Since my original posting I has also noticed in an Antietam scenario the Victory Dialog does not show any Supply Losses but does show Supply Point Losses as they accrue (at a rate of 1 VP for every 5 supply losses [other titles could have different rates] They intend to verify the point calculation for supply and attend to the matter in the next update later in the year.

There's still no clear understanding of what occurred in my Peninsula battle so if anyone is playing a scenario from that title it would be wise to pay attention to supply in the Victory Dialog. I'd certainly like to know of other experiences (good, bad or indifferent) in that title.

Supply point values are assigned in the scenario header and can be adjusted in the scenario editor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:04 pm 

mihalik wrote:
Quaama wrote:

Supply point values are assigned in the scenario header and can be adjusted in the scenario editor.

Unfortunately, changing things in the scenario editor will not rectify this matter. It's something to do with the programming codes.

For example:
According to the Victory Dialog in Peninsula 08a the Victory Dialog showed the USA with 1,260 points. The CSA showed 471 losses for 235 points (a 2:1 ratio).
I recall the CSA losing a few supply points but nothing approaching 471 [it look like the game is either counting supply used as losses and/or reversing losses and points.
Equally, if a 2:1 ratio applied for the USA then that means they incurred 2,520 supply losses. The USA did lose a lot of supply (CSA captured two intact ones) but not over 2,500; more likely something in the vicinity of the 1,260 which is showing as Points.

First Corps