American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:07 pm 

Note from the HQ tent:

I hope this finds everyone well. July has always been a significant month in the history of the Army of the Potomac; not least because aside from it being the month that our Declaration of Independence was made in 1776, it is also the month of this Army's most significant victory -which of course, is the Battle of Gettysburg (1-3 July, 1863).

In my case, that was a version of a 'family reunion', not least because of William and Adeline Bliss -Wm Bliss being a 4th cousin, 6x removed -and I wouldn't be surprised if Adeline isn't as well (nee Carpenter, and from I think - Rehoboth Mass). The cost of the battle to William was great; probably life changing - as William and Adeline were the owners of 'the Bliss Farm' -which was between Cemetery and Seminary Ridges. It was focal point of the battle over 2 days, and the buildings were ultimately destroyed so as to prevent their use by secessionist sharpshooters. The farm property was approximately 60 acres, and it was in the line or march of the secessionists attack on 3rd July 1863.

After the Battle: The Bliss family came back to total destruction. William filed claims for $2,500 to $3,500 for damages, but never received any compensation. He sold the remnants of the farm to Nicholas Codori in 1865 for $1,000. According to the story he said, “Let it go. I would give twenty farms for such a victory.”

Not many people would be able to still say that after losing everything.

Anyways - still on my to-do list, is an audit of the Army of the Potomac's members for potential promotions (especially for those under General officer rank); our Corps leadership group have been hard at work consolidating the impacts of our entire army reorganisation; I don't think it can ever be stated enough -but it is very important, and I am very grateful for their support. I salute each one of them: Lt Gen Hecht, Gen Oakford, and Lt Gen Nelson. Their division leadership group, and our members are our lifeblood.

The Army of the Potomac's battle record for July (there was some accounting issues that were made this month, so what the record focused on was matches concluded in July 2022, which there were some historical adjustments being made for one the club's members to be made whole... so all good there, but the actual matches concluded in July is less than what is showing in the DoR report -this would have had a wider impact than solely on AotP.

The Army of the Potomac was engaged in 29 actions with the following record.

* 4 Major Victories
* 2 Minor Victories
* 3 Draws
* 7 Minor Defeats (including one of my own - hats of to Mjr Gen De Hoff)
* 13 Major Defeats

This represents an increase in results from June which I imagine Gen Strickler's tournaments have had a distinctly positive impact when it comes to promoting inter-side participation. <standing ovation> ...I think he might have said it best - there are no banjos over east where we are, and just because we happen to be in conflict doesn't mean that there can't also be civility. I suppose our respective objectives, albeit in direct opposition to one another, are still identical, all the same.

Currently I am engaged again with Mjr Gen De Hoff outside of Jackson TN (in one from Campaign Shiloh), and Mjr Gen Seidl outside of Chantilly VA (which I might also own was an effort to at least get a star on my Eastern Theatre ribbon ... all I had been in line for were from out west; which makes it a tad awkward (or just plain ironic) seeing as the role I was given. ;)

Have a great August to all our members, irrespective of side affiliation. <s>

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:01 pm 

Great report Lieutenant General Trauth!

Neat tidbit about the Bliss family as well.

Profile Send private message