American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AotP Aug '22 Report
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:14 pm 

Note from the HQ tent:

As always, I hope this finds everyone well. August had come and went, and while the task at hand will shortly be to consolidate the information from September 22, I wanted to take a second here to present a whole of club level report for the Army of the Potomac. To get an end result, basically you have to use the means available. This is one of those means, although it isn't the only one, it is the only one that is getting shared with the entire club as a whole. ;) Cryptic, I know, but not really meaning that - it is more about being in anticipation of others saying 'well we use a board, you ought to use a board'.

1st off - let's get to the important bit, honouring one of our own - I had the privilege of being in the position to do so, and with a prompt from one of the AotP divisional commanders, it was the right thing to do. One thing that I have heard about within the club is it seems like 'what-if' scenarios are pretty popular; at the same time, there is always going to be room for more - and especially well researched and thought out what-ifs that reflect actual military considerations (maybe more on that later on, but what I am saying is that I look at scenarios in these with a scenario designers' eye -it is more than just moving things around, and shooting)... AotP has had in our ranks someone who has done exactly that, and has done that in scenarios that were added to the initial release of Overland by (then) John Tiller Software.

Referring you to the link on MDT of the announcement: https://www.wargame.ch/board/acwgc/view ... =4&t=23126

2ndly:

Army Record in August: Genl Miller, AotP CoS has reported that as a group we were engaged in 17 Battles (meaning against a CSA member of the club as an opponent), and 1 Maneuver.
• 1 Major Victory
• 2 Minor Victories
• 5 Draws
• 0 Minor Defeats
• 9 Major Defeats

3rdly

I made the executive decision to not participate in the last tournament, in order to focus on doing more admin level work (take that to mean creating some meaningful infrastructure that can be used within the AotP, for AotP purposes, and to supplement anything that the ACWGC, or Union Army puts together. I have been engaged in analysing design elements in scenarios -so my head is really in that space now -and it is something I'd like to start doing more of. That was another reason Rusty deserved that award, for reminding everyone that there can be another level to look at things -and sure I imagine he might not see it, but you don't actually have to directl have conversations with anyone to actually provide motivation to action.

Currently I have 3 tournament scenarios still going on, a maneuver with one of my own guys, and in the later stages of a battle with Genl Seidl. I did get whipped in one -but that was a Sept match --- but I will own it; small/short scenarios don't generally offer much recovery time -so stuffing it up early meant that it was over pretty early and ... well, pretty decisively. Otoh -based on having played Alex before -I'd have been disappointed if it hadn't have happened. Hopefully I am a bit better than that, or at least I like to think so.

I imagine I might be back before the end of the month with a September '22 report. After spending a fair amount of time writing yesterday- this particular post probably suffered due to ...well a general writers' fatigue. :)

<S>

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: AotP Aug '22 Report
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:59 pm 

Expecting a Battle by Dale Gallon

Thank you for another fine report Lieutenant General Trauth! <Salute>

Profile Send private message