American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Recruit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:02 pm 

Greeting comrades. I come to you from the great state of New Jersey. One of the original 13 and of course one of the proud states fighting to save our Union. My NJ brethren that once slayed the mighty Red Coat, send me to you now to track down and end the scourge that is Southern Secession.

I am lucky enough to train under the tutelage of our great President, Mr. Walt Dortch. I have less experience using the tactics and strategies of this war. I have however fought battles at *TM Gettysburg and Corinth. I plan to expand that as Christmas approaches. Before joining this conflict, my experience was mostly in France, 1914. I have come to really enjoy the gameplay and aesthetics of the ACW though.

I look forward to learning and eventually moving up the ranks. I am open for a battle or campaign at any time. I am very happy to be a new member in this prestigious club and I thank Walt for walking me through the basics.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: New Recruit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:47 pm 

Mr Jacob,

A very warm welcome Sir to the ACWGC and the very best that Civil War games have to offer, bar none.

You are indeed in good hands with our President and you would do well to heed his counsel. I have every confidence that your previous experience will stand to you very well in the future too. It is not a huge leap of time from the Civil War to WW1.

In the MDT, Secessionists and Yankees may mingle freely and as you will observe I am most definitely a Secessionist ! However in the best traditions of the Officer Corps of the CSA, true gentlemen to a man, I set my sabre aside, and I invite you to partake of some good Old Tennessee whiskey afore we take to the field.

Good fortune in your forthcoming endeavours Sir.

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:17 am 

Michael, mate- welcome sir- the great state of New Jersey, indeed -and where some of the most important actions of the War of Independence occurred there - Trenton, Princeton, and Monmouth - not least to being the home of Morristown (Valley Forge gets all of the press, but Morris Town served as the winter camp for the Continental Army for several years). I'm sure I missed a few - but a very very important place to be sure.

Welcome to the club, sir -hoping to see you around the field :)

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:54 am 

Welcome aboard!

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:06 am 

Karl McEntegart wrote:
Mr Jacob,

A very warm welcome Sir to the ACWGC and the very best that Civil War games have to offer, bar none.

You are indeed in good hands with our President and you would do well to heed his counsel. I have every confidence that your previous experience will stand to you very well in the future too. It is not a huge leap of time from the Civil War to WW1.

In the MDT, Secessionists and Yankees may mingle freely and as you will observe I am most definitely a Secessionist ! However in the best traditions of the Officer Corps of the CSA, true gentlemen to a man, I set my sabre aside, and I invite you to partake of some good Old Tennessee whiskey afore we take to the field.

Good fortune in your forthcoming endeavours Sir.

I heartily accept your offer of good Tennessee whiskey before a well-fought battle, thank you. I was taken aback to see Northern and Southern officers fraternizing, but now that I've enjoy some conversation with my Southern opposite number, I am happy to make yours and their acquaintance.

Cheers to our men, and the struggle we both know must continue!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:10 am 

S Trauth wrote:
Michael, mate- welcome sir- the great state of New Jersey, indeed -and where some of the most important actions of the War of Independence occurred there - Trenton, Princeton, and Monmouth - not least to being the home of Morristown (Valley Forge gets all of the press, but Morris Town served as the winter camp for the Continental Army for several years). I'm sure I missed a few - but a very very important place to be sure.

Welcome to the club, sir -hoping to see you around the field :)

Steve

I hope so as well and thank you! Many great battles fought here as you say. I actually think that Monmouth was vital in convincing Washingtons army that it could go toe to toe with the Red Coats, regardless of the result. Also ridding the army of General Lee, even though some modern historians have tried to clear his name. I am from Monmouth County as it is and lived not far from Princeton.

I thank you for the warm welcome and do hope to see you out there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:11 am 

Christian Hecht wrote:
Welcome aboard!

Thank you sir, it is appreciated! Hope to fight with you and all of my comrades one day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:39 pm 

Michael Jacob wrote:
S Trauth wrote:
Also ridding the army of General Lee, even though some modern historians have tried to clear his name.

I would not have thought that General Lee needed anyone to 'clear his name'. Contrary to the claim about modern historians trying to clear Lee's name, I feel that they are much more likely to attempt to sully his name and besmirch his character. Still, no need to take my word for it, let's look at the past to see what some others have said about Robert E. Lee (even a few Presidents).

From General Sherman (https://leefamilyarchive.org/reference/essays/sherman/index.html)
" ... General Wolseley describes his personal acquaintance in 1862 with that famous man, the great impression made by his graceful manner and profound intelligence, and concludes with the following paragraph: “When all the angry feelings roused by secession are buried with those which existed when the Declaration of Independence was written, when Americans can review the history of their last great rebellion with calm impartiality, I believe all will admit that General Lee towered far above all men on either side in that struggle. I believe he will be regarded, not only as the most prominent figure of the Confederacy, but as the great American of the nineteenth century, whose statue is well worthy to stand on an equal pedestal with that of Washington, and whose memory is equally worthy to be enshrined in the hearts of all his countrymen.”

As I happen to be one of the very few survivors of the great Civil War in America who had a personal and professional acquaintance with the chief actors in that grand drama, I am compelled to join issue with General Wolseley in his conclusion, while willing to admit nearly all his premises."

Arthur Freemantle's (Coldstream Guards) diary in relation to Lee's General Orders No. 72 (https://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/fremantle/fremantle.html)
I returned to camp at 6 P. M, Major Moses did not get back till very late, much depressed at the ill-success of his mission. He had searched all day most indefatigably, and had endured much contumely from the Union ladies, who called him a "thievish little rebel scoundrel," and other opprobrious epithets. But this did not annoy him so much as the manner in which every thing he wanted had been sent away or hidden in private houses, which he was not allowed by General Lee's orders to search. He had only managed to secure a quantity of molasses, sugar, and whisky. Poor Moses was thoroughly exhausted; but he endured the chaff of his brother officers with much good humor, and they made him continually repeat the different names he had been called. He said that at first the women refused his Confederate "trash" with great scorn, but they ended in being very particular about the odd cents.

29th June, Monday.--We are still at Chambersburg. Lee has issued a remarkably good order on non-retaliation, which is generally well received; but I have heard of complaints from fire-eaters, who want vengeance for their wrongs; and when one considers the numbers of officers and soldiers with this army who have been totally ruined by the devastations of Northern troops, one cannot be much surprised at this feeling.
I went into Chambersburg again, and witnessed the singular good behavior of the troops towards the citizens. I heard the soldiers saying to one another, that they did not like being in a town in which they were very naturally detested. To any one who has seen as I have the ravages of the Northern troops in Southern towns, this forbearance seems most commendable and surprising. Yet these Pennsylvanian Dutch*
* This part of Pennsylvania is much peopled with the descendants of Germans, who speak an unintelligible language.
don't seem the least thankful, and really appear to be unaware that their own troops have been for two years treating Southern towns with ten times more harshness. They are the most unpatriotic people I ever saw, and openly state that they don't care which side wins, provided they are left alone. They abuse Lincoln tremendously.

President Jefferson Davis (https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84024738/1870-11-04/ed-1/seq-3/)
"I shall not attempt to review the military career of our fallen chieftain. Of the man, how shall I speak? He was my friend, and in that word is included all that I could say of any man. His moral qualities rose to the height of his genius. Self-denying; always intent upon the one idea of duty; self-controlled to an extent that many thought him cold, his feelings were really warm, and his heart melted freely at the sight of a wounded soldier, or the story of the sufferings of the widow and orphan. During the war he was ever conscious of the inequality of the means at his control; but it was never his to complain or to utter a doubt; it was always his to do."

President T Roosevelt (https://leefamilyarchive.org/reference/essays/tr/index.html)
General Lee has left us the memory, not merely of his extraordinary skill as a General, his dauntless courage and high leadership in campaign and battle, but also of that serene greatness of soul characteristic of those who most readily recognize the obligations of civic duty. Once the war was over he instantly undertook the task of healing and binding up the wounds of his countrymen, in the true spirit of those who feel malice toward none and charity toward all; in that spirit which from the throes of the Civil War brought forth the real and indissoluble Union of to-day. It was eminently fitting that this great man, this war-worn veteran of a mighty struggle, who, at its close, simply and quietly undertook his duty as a plain, everyday citizen, bent only upon helping his people in the paths of peace and tranquillity, should turn his attention toward educational work; toward bringing up in fit fashion the younger generation, the sons of those who had proved their faith by their endeavor in the heroic days.
There is no need to dwell on General Lee's record as a soldier. The son of Light Horse Harry Lee, of the Revolution, he came naturally by his aptitude for arms and command. His campaigns put him in the foremost rank of the great captains of all time. But his signal valor and address in war are no more remarkable than the spirit in which he turned to the work of peace once the war was over.

President D Eisenhower (https://www.civilwarprofiles.com/dwight-d-eisenhower-in-defense-of-robert-e-lee/)
General Robert E. Lee was, in my estimation, one of the supremely gifted men produced by our Nation. He believed unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause which until 1865 was still an arguable question in America; he was a poised and inspiring leader, true to the high trust reposed in him by millions of his fellow citizens; he was thoughtful yet demanding of his officers and men, forbearing with captured enemies but ingenious, unrelenting and personally courageous in battle, and never disheartened by a reverse or obstacle. Through all his many trials, he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his faith in God. Taken altogether, he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history.

President Gerald R. Ford (https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2005/spring/piece-lee)
President Ford acknowledged the discovery of Lee's Oath of Allegiance in the National Archives and remarked: "General Lee's character has been an example to succeeding generations, making the restoration of his citizenship an event in which every American can take pride."

There are many other President's and world leaders who have expressed their admiration for Lee's character (some are here - https://www.releema.org/why-robert-e-lee-matters) and a very long list of his contemporaries who have nothing but good to say about him.
It is only some of the more recent commentaries that have sought to taint Lee's reputation and character. As one of the links provided says:
"He remains the only person in all of recorded human history to be offered the command of two opposing armies. It exists as an amazing testament to Lee’s conscience and fidelity to duty that as a lifelong and ambitious soldier having toiled for many years with limited advancement that he was offered the command of the largest, most well-equipped Army in the world but declined it because he could not raise the sword against his native Virginia; instead resigning his commission and joining the yet to be formed Virginia militia."

For the best examination of Robert E. Lee's I recommend 'Personal reminiscences, anecdotes, and letters of Gen. Robert E. Lee by Rev. J William Jones (Chaplain in the Army of Northern Virginia and Washington College [later Washington and Lee University) which can be found here (https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=dul1.ark:/13960/t1bk78q69&view=1up&seq=8). A wonderful book that I first came across about a quarter of a century ago. I dutifully printed out the entire thing while at work to read at my leisure later. [I was allowed a few indulgences at work and well remember my boss commenting while collecting some of her work from the printer 'Oh, some more pages about General Lee: I know who that is for' before dutifully placing some pages of that work on my desk.]

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:43 pm 

General Swanson <salute> Sir,

"I would not have thought that General Lee needed anyone to 'clear his name'. Contrary to the claim about modern historians trying to clear Lee's name, I feel that they are much more likely to attempt to sully his name and besmirch his character. Still, no need to take my word for it, let's look at the past to see what some others have said about Robert E. Lee (even a few Presidents)."..........so on and so forth.......

By God Sir, that was some riposte ! I believe Mr. Jacob may think twice before raising this matter again :shock:

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:23 pm 

33rd New Jersey Volunteers (2nd Zouaves) by Don Troiani

Cadet Jacob! <Salute>,

Glad to have you with us Michael! You're in good company with with the likes of Gershom Mott & George Burling!

Battle Cry of Freedom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHLj4Pjbldg