American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:14 am 

I would like to play one of the Gettysburg scenarios that is not historical. Anyone with a suggestion for a Gettysburg battle that i can play against the computer?
I am looking for something hopefully that covers the three days but is not just a repetition of the battle we all know.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Army of the Tennessee

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:39 pm 

If you want to play the yanks against AI rebs you will probably have to modify the scenario header. The longer scenarios normally do not have scripts, they are both tedious to create and do not work well for long scenarios, especially multi-day ones. The majority of the longer scenarios do not have the AI set to attack for either side, the exceptions being the historical scenarios. If you open a scenario with the editor and look at Scenario/Header you will see a box labeled AI Values. These set the values that determine how the AI acts.

The Help file explains the AI Values

The A/I Values are used when a side in a scenario is played using Automatic A/I.
An A/I value of 0 indicates that the corresponding side should conduct an Extreme Defense in the scenario.
An A/I value of 1 indicates that the side should conduct an ordinary Defense.
An A/I value of 2 indicates that the side should not initiate any A/I orders on its own.
This value is best used when A/I Scripts are going to be defined for the scenario.
An A/I value of 3 indicates that the side should conduct an Attack.
An A/I value of 4 indicates that the side should conduct an Extreme Attack.
If an A/I Value different from 2 is defined for one or both sides, then the Flags value will be important.
A flag value of 1 indicates that the A/I should not commit the entire side to the Attack or Defense, but should only commit forces based on opportunities.
A flag value of 0 will cause the A/I to commit the entire side to the Attack or Defense.

If you see both sides set to 0 the AI will sit and only react to your moves. This means if you want to play the rebs you would probably be ok but if you want to play the yanks the rebs will not initiate much in the way of attacks.
If you wish to modify these values look at the Help file, Page 5, it explains how to go about modifying a scenario without messing up the stock scenarios.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:05 pm 

Have you had sight of the 2023 Tournament Challenge recently posted here. 'Stonewall at Gettysburg' may very well be worth a look. Definitely not historical but unfortunately for you it's a tourney, so 1 on 1 as opposed to playing the AI.

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:23 pm 

krmiller_usa wrote:
If you want to play the yanks against AI rebs you will probably have to modify the scenario header. The longer scenarios normally do not have scripts, they are both tedious to create and do not work well for long scenarios, especially multi-day ones. The majority of the longer scenarios do not have the AI set to attack for either side, the exceptions being the historical scenarios. If you open a scenario with the editor and look at Scenario/Header you will see a box labeled AI Values. These set the values that determine how the AI acts.

The Help file explains the AI Values

The A/I Values are used when a side in a scenario is played using Automatic A/I.
An A/I value of 0 indicates that the corresponding side should conduct an Extreme Defense in the scenario.
An A/I value of 1 indicates that the side should conduct an ordinary Defense.
An A/I value of 2 indicates that the side should not initiate any A/I orders on its own.
This value is best used when A/I Scripts are going to be defined for the scenario.
An A/I value of 3 indicates that the side should conduct an Attack.
An A/I value of 4 indicates that the side should conduct an Extreme Attack.
If an A/I Value different from 2 is defined for one or both sides, then the Flags value will be important.
A flag value of 1 indicates that the A/I should not commit the entire side to the Attack or Defense, but should only commit forces based on opportunities.
A flag value of 0 will cause the A/I to commit the entire side to the Attack or Defense.

If you see both sides set to 0 the AI will sit and only react to your moves. This means if you want to play the rebs you would probably be ok but if you want to play the yanks the rebs will not initiate much in the way of attacks.
If you wish to modify these values look at the Help file, Page 5, it explains how to go about modifying a scenario without messing up the stock scenarios.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I may just try some of the smaller scenarios. Then use this for later when I get comfortable with the smaller scenarios.

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:24 pm 

Karl McEntegart wrote:
Have you had sight of the 2023 Tournament Challenge recently posted here. 'Stonewall at Gettysburg' may very well be worth a look. Definitely not historical but unfortunately for you it's a tourney, so 1 on 1 as opposed to playing the AI.

Looking forward to it.

Army of the Tennessee