American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:24 am 

Beginning today, November 29, 2022, the ACWGC Cabinet is prepared to receive nominations for the President of the ACWGC. Nominations shall be accepted until 5pm (PST) on December 5, 2022. Candidates are required to meet the criteria as defined by the ACWGC rules (3.3.4.2 Eligibility):

1) Must hold the rank of colonel or above

2) Must be nominated by two other members before being placed on the ballot. You may nominate an officer from either army as this is a presidential election.

3) Nominations must be submitted to the entire cabinet, email addresses of which are provided below.

4) Nominations must include a statement that the nominated officer agrees to serve if elected.

5) If nominating, the officer should use the email address of record contained in the Department of Records. The election committee will work to verify the identity of the nominating officer. However, the nomination will be disqualified if this is not possible before the end of the nominating period.

Email addresses of the ACWGC Cabinet:

Gen David Mallory: dwmallo01@yahoo.com
Gen Walt Dortch: waltdortch@gmail.com
Lt. Gen Jim Boling: jboling.bci@gmail.com
Gen Blake Strickler: blake@acwgc.net
Lt. Gen Steve Sober: me@stevesober.com

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:14 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

CSA Brigadier General Thomas Marshall has been nominated as a Candidate for President of the ACWGC.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:00 am 

Gentlemen,

<Salute>

As you will see above, I am honoured to have been nominated for the President of the ACWGC. I apologise in advance if this is not quite the right place to post, but I wanted to put down a few lines about who I am, why I am running, and what I would like to do if elected.

I am a happily married 39-year-old father of two (my third was due on the 21st of last month - heart-felt wishes for a safe arrival for the next few days). I live in Northamptonshire, in the Midlands of the UK. In the 17th Century, my area was key terrain for both King and Parliament as both sides sought to manoeuvre in order to attack or defend Oxford (the King's wartime capital, London being staunchly for Parliament), and also to move forces up through the Watford Gap in order to try to achieve a decisive advantage in Yorkshire.

I've always loved my wargaming; usually regimental-level horse & musket games with miniatures, but these days almost exclusively online. I first got the ACW bug from Gettysburg, and then discovered the old TalonSoft games, which obviously we all owe a huge debt of gratitude to. I have been lucky enough to visit Gettysburg, Antietam (Sharpsburg if you prefer), Shiloh, and Vicksburg. I have always felt the Americans among us really set the standard for how a country should look after its battlefields - I have always found them to be truly hallowed ground & I hope they always remain so. Anyway, inspired by Tom Berenger and Sam Elliott, a few friends and I played the TalonSoft games happily and fought goodness knows how many meeting engagements (still a favourite to this day!)

But all boys grow up, I went to university, and gradually the computer games never got opened & the little lead regiments stayed in boxes & cabinets, unused.

Fast forward to 2020 & like all of us, it was a very strange year. My son Wilf was two and home from nursery, all the uncertainty was hitting my little business, my wife was doing some particularly demanding work for her firm, and all the while we were expecting our second child, our daughter Clemmie. Like everyone else, we couldn't really see anyone or do anything except walk our dog (a Cavalier X named Kipling - a canine superstar).

And then I saw there was a Facebook group dedicated to the JTS games as an opponent finder. I was joyfully surprised to see virtually all the battles covered I had wanted TalonSoft to do back in 1999. So, I found the ACWGC & loved it - the challenge of trying to outwit another human & seeing if I could better historical outcomes was awesome. It still is awesome, and in my book, I'm pretty sure it always will be awesome. This is a fantastic community of knowledgeable & fun people, and it's a joy to be a part of it.

OK, so what would I like to explore doing if I was elected to be President of the ACWGC?

Well, at this early stage, as far as I can see, it's a case of evolution, not revolution.

1) General Dortch wisely had a mantra of focusing on Recruitment, Retention, and Right-sizing. All of these are vital to the success of any club or voluntary organisation, so I shall certainly be trying to push this as hard as General Dortch did.

2) I see efforts are underway to update and streamline the scenario and cartography part of this website. I think this is a fantastic idea & I would like to see what I can to do to encourage and help. We have a number of talented scenario designers in the ACWGC, and I would like their work to reach as many keen gamers as possible & get the credit it deserves!

3) Clearly, WDS games are the lifeblood of the ACWGC. WDS have recently opened their own forums and regularly request feedback from their customers - feedback which is subsequently answered in detail by WDS. I would like to take soundings from our membership as to what we would like WDS to do for us playing the Civil War Battles series in an ideal world. Given we're lucky to have a number of WDS employees playing in the ACWGC so I'm sure we would get a substantive response which would benefit both parties. Campaign Knoxville/Tullahoma is a Blake Strickler idea; I like Campaign Rappahannock, taking the armies up and down the O&A in the autumn/Fall of 1863. How about Campaign Trent Affair? Don't forget WDS have released whole titles dedicated to fictional invasions of the UK in 1940 and Japan in 1945 and 1946.

4) I don't have all the answers, and I never will. If you've got a good idea, whether you've been playing here for a quarter of a year or a quarter of a century, I would like to hear it please.

Thank you for your consideration, and I hope very much to have the chance to serve you all.

All the best,

Tom

ACWGC President 2022 - 2024

Marshall's Brigade 'The St Andrews Greys', 2nd (Gator Alley) Division, Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:39 pm 

Sir
I would like to nominate Gen Dortch for a second term if he will accept it.