American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:57 am 

Gentlemen <salute>

Whilst we all play and love our CWB series games I am aware there are members of the ACWGC, myself included, who play the WDS Napoleonic War Campaign series games too. My question is therefore directed particularly to those members who have played and are experienced with the Napoleonic titles. I have already decided upon my proposed purchases for the sale including CWB, Naps and WW2 games, 7 titles selected. My question therefore relates to getting additional Napoleonic games and in particular the following titles from that series whilst the sale is on.

The easy answer is obviously...get them all ! I regret however that with my 7 chosen games already selected I cannot manage during the course of the sale to get the additional 5 titles below, 2 or 3 at the maximum in all likelihood.

Peninsular Campaign - both games
Napoleons Russian Campaign
Campaign Bautzen
Campaign 1814

I would very much appreciate your recommendations regarding the foregoing games, they all look great and they all campaigns of interest to me. I am a member of the NWC and will post this there also. I value the experience and expertise of the members of the ACWGC however and hence my post here.

Many thanks in advance gentlemen.

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:11 am 

Hi Karl,

Civil War Peninsular Campaign, Campaign1814, and Russian Campaign from the 5 titles are in my collections. I have limited experience in WDS/WDS Napoleonic Battles Series. 4-5 PBEM games against human opponents. But I found I dislike this series. Compared with board games on the same topics, the WDS/JTS Civil War series have both pros and cons, but WDS/WDS Napoleonic Battles series have more cons than pros. Napoleonic Battles series are more complex than Civil War series and have many good designs, but are further away from a good simulation. The more, the more wrong. It may be an impossible task for a strict turn-based game. Boardgames, like the La Bataille series and the Library of Napoleonic Battles series, are better choices for me to experience Napoleonic Battles. (Or maybe it's just my personal bias.)

Anyway, I recommend Civil War Peninsular Campaign and Napoleon's Russian Campaign.

1. Civil War Peninsular Campaign - Seven Days Battle at the regimental level is very very unique in the era of gunpowder. Continuous intense battles in a short time with plenty of room to maneuver. Both historical and what-if scenarios are interesting. It is also suitable for player-made scenarios and MP games. Besides, it is hard to simulate and play by boardgames. PC games may be the only playable choice.

2. Napoleon's Russian Campaign (1812) - the clash between the best-quality of Grande Armée (French Army) and the best-quality of Russian Army. The turning point of the Emperor and his Empire. How exciting! It is in far preference to Campaign Bautzen and Campaign 1814 with rebuilt new French Army.

(As for the Peninsular Campaign(Spain), I have no interest in it. I admit not a fan of the Duke of Wellington and the British Army and, frankly, even dislike the British's role in modern history. But you may be interested in this Irish genius. --Well, I am not sure that, though he was born Irish, but he may not regard himself as Irish. I am not familiar with the history.)

For your reference.

"Days and weeks of sheer boredom, interspersed with times of stark terror!"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:48 am 

With Peninsular Campaign he surely means the two titles that cover the war on the Spanish Peninsular.

I would like to note that the Napy series improved a lot and is continuing to do so. I doubt that we have more cons then pros in it. Surely more complicated than the CW series but not lacking quality.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:19 am 

Christian Hecht wrote:
With Peninsular Campaign he surely means the two titles that cover the war on the Spanish Peninsular.

I would like to note that the Napy series improved a lot and is continuing to do so. I doubt that we have more cons then pros in it. Surely more complicated than the CW series but not lacking quality.

Embarrassed... Thanks for the correction, Christian. I'll reserve my wrong post. Well, still, Napoleon's Russian Campaign (1812) is the top for me among the five titles.

I thank WDS for keeping ACW and NW updated. I am continuing to watch for the Change Logs of NW and expect that some of these small good features will be introduced into ACW later.

Napoleonic tactics is more flexible and complicated, which needs more complicated rules. But complication itself doesn't guarantee quality, or may probably reduce both simulation and playability in some cases. I finally believe it's very hard to get a good Napoleonic Wargames with the balance of simulation and playability. ACW also have a lot of problems, but I may be more tolerant to a game with simple rules. It may be just the matter of personal taste, the balance of ACW hits my strike zone, but the balance of NW not. Beyond the comparison between the two series, I would naturally compare PC wargames with the board wargames I have played. In the topic of NW, boardgames are better choices for me and provide more reasonable picture of war in the issue of formations, cavalry, disorder, and the interaction of elements in battlefields. And I suspect part of problems in WDS are hard to solve within the range of a PBEM strict turn-based game. Well, I am not an expert, you can ignore my opinions.

Anyway, when I get more free time, I may also go back to experience Napy of new 4.X version in the future.

Good luck and have fun.

A.Ren

"Days and weeks of sheer boredom, interspersed with times of stark terror!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:43 am 

I think over at the NWC the members would be interested in hearing about Napy boardgames.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."