American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:49 pm 

Officers of the ACWGC <salute>

Tomorrow, December 22, 2022, is my last day serving as President of this fine little Club of ours.

I want to say at the outset that neither job dissatisfaction or health issues prompted me to choose not to run for re-election. I chose not to run because I knew that there were several young, energetic, and well-tempered Officers who were (are) eager and ready to serve as your President. Your new President exudes these qualities and above all, I believe General Thomas Marshall will honor his duty to represent the interests of the Club as a whole at all times.

I am very pleased with the efforts that have been made towards delivering on my campaign promise to focus on the 3 Rs of Club Administration: Recruiting, Retention and Rightsizing. Over the last two years the Club has implemented several key measures towards attainment of these goals including:

*Establishment of an ACWGC Recruiting Officer and Office (website).

*Consolidation of the UMA and VMI within the new ACWGC Training Campus.

*Support of the efforts of both sides to reduce the administrative overhead in their commands which discourage Officers of the Club from serving in Administrative or Line positions.

*Revisions to and strengthening of the Club’s policy with respect to cheating and documentation of a transparent and fair protocol to deal with this issue. I consider this work to have been related primarily to the retention goal of arming new members with information which might explain why they are losing games that go beyond good tactics on the part of their opponent.

*Documentation of a transparent and fair Club Protocol for eliminating unacceptable behavior on the Club Forums including a ZERO tolerance policy for racist or inflammatory political statements or personal attacks.

It perhaps goes without saying but I will state it nonetheless that none of this would have been possible without the collaborative and Club first attitude that every Cabinet member I worked with during my tenure brought to our discussions and decision making. It has been truly a pleasure to work with such men.

Abraham Lincoln said people remember the short speeches, and this has already gone on too long. I will close by noting that you are well served by every Club Administrator. At the risk of offending anyone (and I apologize in advance if I do that here), I must acknowledge the exceptional and sustained efforts of three Officers I have had the greatest of pleasure working with over the past two years.

*General Jim Boling who has been tireless in his reorganization and rightsizing of the UA since assuming the CoA job in April 2021.

*General Ernie Sands who I have turned to many times for advice and counsel during my term and who has served this Club in many ways for decades including the care and feeding of the wonderful and unique DOR.

*General Blake Strickler who has been the wand (which does the trick!) in the hand of the magician working magically on so many things be that websites, FB pages or Tournament production and management. Colleague General Steve Sober stated in his congratulation to Blake for his election to CSA CoA: “it must be a labor of love or a love of labor.” I have no doubt it is a powerful and positive combination of both and we are truly blessed to have such an Officer among us.

I look forward to continuing my engagement with many of you on the battlefield and stand ready to support any and all efforts to maintain the current status of this Club as the “best ACW Club there is.”

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:33 pm 

Mr. President <Salute>

Thank you for your service Sir, to the members and the ACWGC as a whole. Whilst a relative newcomer to the club it is nonetheless appropriate I believe to note and applaud your tenure as president. Your 'Standing Down' speech was most eloquent and indeed 'short' enough to be remembered.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas & Peaceful New Year.

<Salute> Sir,

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:08 pm 

General Dortch,

It has been an honor to serve on the Cabinet with you, sir!

*salute*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:21 pm 

General Dortch,

Many, many thanks on behalf of a grateful club for your own tireless efforts in leading us through a tumultuous period. <Salute!>

UMA Superintendent 2020-2021
Union Cabinet Secretary 2020-2022

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:53 am 

President Dortch,

As the incoming President, I wish to thank you very much, on behalf of all our fine officers serving in blue & grey, for your tireless service to this Club over the last two years. The list of achievements is considerable & a very great credit to you and those who have worked with you to achieve these goals over the last two years.

Thank you also for your kind words to me personally - I will seek to build on the very substantial work which has already been successfully carried out.

All good wishes for the future, and thank you once more for stepping forward & giving us all the benefit of your experience & insight - please be in no doubt that the ACWGC is a much better place because you did so.

<Salute>

ACWGC President 2022 - 2024

Marshall's Brigade 'The St Andrews Greys', 2nd (Gator Alley) Division, Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:41 pm 

Walt,

Many things could be said, but simply "Thanks for your service."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:56 am 

Thanks Walt for your fantastic service!! We're all appreciative of the great work you've done!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:20 pm 

Many thanks for your service General Dortch!

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:02 pm 

Walt, I have always valued our exchanges; have enjoyed your confidence, and am really privileged to have guys like yourself assigned to the group I am lucky enough to admin.

I managed to miss this thread earlier because I must have been going on auto-pilot and assumed I had seen all pinned posts. Bad rookie mistake from a non-rookie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:01 pm 

General Dortch <Salute>

Well said sir! Thank you for your years of dedicated service, truly!

Army of Tennessee
Commanding