American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:38 pm 

The Final Episodes were published today, Saturday, February 18.

Do you crave more Battle Action even while on the go, lying in bed, or sitting in your executive washroom? If so, you are finally in luck!

The first ever video AAR miniseries is now on YouTube!

The epic Battle of the Rappahannock occurred between the Confederates of "Gator Alley" and the Federal team of Walt, Jim, and Robert. The battle unfolded over six months and finally concluded on January 6, 2023.

This video AAR will be released over eight weeks and in 9 episodes. Each video will be on the ACWGC's YouTube Channel exclusively. Check each Saturday at 1 PM Central Time for the latest release on YouTube!

Episode One - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bNnFe7Tvt4
Episode Two - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTRWbxoKvOU
Episode Three - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpU66BuuZvo
Episode Four - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNqDVKsclLs
Episode Five - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqSoS0h2Sm4
Episode Six - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFQvekr3TmE
Episode Seven - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AoS35Ds8bg&t=954s
Episode Eight, Part One - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HYC2nTojzI
Episode Eight, Part Two - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLoOG2ZU1Q0
Episode Nine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOxIzl5JrFo

Be sure to give the videos a "LIKE" on YouTube and tell your friends and family. Let's make this bigger than Game of Thrones :mrgreen:

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:01 pm 

Excellent videos General Strickler; thank you for your effort in making them! We shall have to see what unfolds!

ACWGC President 2022 - 2024

Marshall's Brigade 'The St Andrews Greys', 2nd (Gator Alley) Division, Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:18 pm 

<Salute> Sir,

Outstanding videos on the Rappahannock and very much looking forward to the rest of the series. I was originally concerned tbh that the video presentation might not present as clear and seamless a picture as your previous AAR's. I should not have worried, your YouTube videos of the Rappahannock were quite Outstanding, I believe, in presenting the opening moves of the battle in the most amazing manner. They provided, in my opinion, a far greater and deeper insight into the initial maneuvers of each side. The FOW element was quite outstanding to watch in respect of Rodes and the Iron Brigade. The repeated failure of the Union cavalry to scout and recce the area of the ford was again amazing to watch and would not, I believe, have been so evident in a dialogue presentation. Hindsight is always a Fantastic Bonus !

I think you may have 'Hit It On The Head' with the YouTube video AAR s. The maneuvers and actions of the opposing forces are so much more clearly presented and understood than with the dialogue AAR's. I would even go so far as to suggest that, as a training tool, the video presentation AAR method may very well surpass the dialogue system for those involved in future MP games. Indeed even in games other than MP's where strategy, planning and maneuver to contact are key, they may prove Monumentally Important in the understanding and appreciation of the opposing sides strategy.

Thank you Sir for a truly amazing new experience of your Multiplayer Game After Action Reports https://blakeacwgc.wixsite.com/afteractionreports.

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:11 am 

Wow. This was an excellent presentation in episodes 1 and 2. It made me wish I had been involved and exciting to watch as a player for over 20 years. Should another game be produced in this way I would love to participate for the Union.

I can only imagine the time spent presenting these videos, amazing, and my hats off to General Strickler for his concept and narrative. Salute.

Dave

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:28 pm 

Thank you, sirs! I appreciate the compliments.

For future videos I tried really hard to stay between 18 - 22 minutes per episode. The first few videos were me trying to figure out how best to present the information in an interesting manner.

Gen. Danner, I will be sure and drop you an invite for the next MP contest (though at present that's looking like summertime).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:07 pm 

Having been fortunate enough to play in a few of these blind MP games, I can confirm General Danner's instincts are entirely correct - these games are truly memorable to play in, and present a gaming experience like no other. You'll have a whale of a time, guaranteed!

Marshall's Brigade 'The St Andrews Greys', 2nd (Gator Alley) Division, Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:27 pm 

Just finished watching the videos. I am hooked! It was nice to see the Yankees miss the crossing of the Rebels and I expect soon to see Reynolds crushed and driven from the field.

Army of Northern Virginia Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:43 am 

Excellent entertainment! :mrgreen:

"Incandescent!" - Richmond Enquirer

"You can't just see it once." - Entertainment Weekly

"Step aside Ken Burns." - The New York Times

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:55 pm 

Gentlemen <Salute>

I must echo the headline reporting of Lt. Colonel "Tex" McSwain - rave reviews for the clear and instantly captivating saga along the Rappahannock!

As a past participant in several of General Strickler's scenarios, I know of no other contests that I have played in over the many years I have been in the ACWGC, that have created such fun and excitement. It is an awesome experience and I highly recommend it! I will say this though, the online video AAR's can be disconcerting if you are one of the participants, where one's brilliant or less than brilliant actions are on display for all to see - almost like feeling naked amongst a crowd - a little disconcerting.

As good as all this is to report, there is a huge problem! The concern here is that with the growing popularity of Strickler's creations, there is only one Strickler - and he can only handle so much at a time. The demand to be included in one of his scenarios is now starting to outstrip Blake's capability to accommodate everyone on the list. We need a cloning machine and run Blake through it a couple more times. Or maybe he could teach a few other gifted souls how to run his creations and make the video ARR's?

Anyway, well done General Strickler!

Army of Tennessee
Commanding

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:19 pm 

This is excellent.

I would love to do a multiplayer game like this again. The last one did not go so great... it was the Vicksburg challenge, and my fellow generals left the field and I only played the first two scenarios, getting soundly whipped in both, which effectively ended the campaign.

Maj. Gen. L.P. Smith
Division Commander - II Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:22 pm 

TReneau wrote:
Gentlemen <Salute>

I must echo the headline reporting of Lt. Colonel "Tex" McSwain - rave reviews for the clear and instantly captivating saga along the Rappahannock!

As a past participant in several of General Strickler's scenarios, I know of no other contests that I have played in over the many years I have been in the ACWGC, that have created such fun and excitement. It is an awesome experience and I highly recommend it! I will say this though, the online video AAR's can be disconcerting if you are one of the participants, where one's brilliant or less than brilliant actions are on display for all to see - almost like feeling naked amongst a crowd - a little disconcerting.

As good as all this is to report, there is a huge problem! The concern here is that with the growing popularity of Strickler's creations, there is only one Strickler - and he can only handle so much at a time. The demand to be included in one of his scenarios is now starting to outstrip Blake's capability to accommodate everyone on the list. We need a cloning machine and run Blake through it a couple more times. Or maybe he could teach a few other gifted souls how to run his creations and make the video ARR's?

Anyway, well done General Strickler!

General Reneau <salute>

I can but concur entirely with your comments above Sir. I believe you you hit every point with absolute precision.
In particular your comments about General Strickler's scenarios are shared by myself as indeed the matter of video AAR's is also, very disconcerting, but ever so innovative and enlightening.

I have to agree regarding the need for a cloning machine for Blake and his ability to create such outstanding Scenarios and MP games also. We shall be left bereft should he become overwhelmed ! In this New Year of change within the CSA I have to once again agree that some 'gifted souls' must be found and instructed in the finer arts of Scenario & MP creation that Blake's most Amazing, Outstanding and Innovative talents may be shared with and within the wider community of the ACWGC.

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:03 pm 

Did the Yankees really not see the Rebs coming at their flank? Blake's description really seems to point that the coming attack was a surprise. Why didn't the Yankees check the other fords is a good question.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:55 pm 

Clearly, the Yankees will answer for themselves, but a 50 man detachment of cavalry was destroyed by Imboden's command not long before, which might have encouraged caution. I will also say that MG Reneau was very clever in keeping his other division, Pender commanding AP Hill's old Light Division, out of sight of the Union scouts so the Union had no idea Rebel infantry were in the area, while Rodes crept closer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:07 pm 

New video dropped today! The fate of the Iron Brigade...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:39 pm 

Another excellent episode #3, thank you Sir.

The added clarity provided by the video presentation is totally outstanding and must be considered a Winner !

Army of Tennessee