American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:34 pm 

What can one say to that......Ooops perhaps :o

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:54 pm 

You can view the latest episode on YouTube now.

Things are starting to get rougher for McLaws and Meade as the battle momentum begins to swing in different places.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:36 pm 

Episode #6 was another outstanding and wonderful production. I'm quite running out of words to describe my amazement and admiration at your ability to produce this content for our pleasure and enjoyment.

Regarding your "unasked for two cents" generally, "a closer look" and "God Help Us....Math".......there is some pure Gold and Magic therein also I suggest !

Absolute Academy Award material

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:32 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AoS35Ds8bg&t=954s

This was the two-hour window when everything went bonkers. The momentum swing was fast and furious as McLaws's Division simply couldn't get loose of Sickles's force.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:02 pm 

Episode #7 and another nail biter ! Very exciting and it appears a crunch is coming.....somewhere. Masterful stuff and wonderful viewing, thank you, Sir.

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:15 am 

I give away no spoilers when I say McLaws was thoroughly sick of the sight of Deadly Dan Sickles by this point :lol: :lol:

ACWGC President 2022 - 2024

Marshall's Brigade 'The St Andrews Greys', 2nd (Gator Alley) Division, Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:27 pm 

"I give away no spoilers when I say McLaws was thoroughly sick of the sight of Deadly Dan Sickles by this point :lol: :lol:"

Indeed Sir, I can empathise with the sentiment :shock: :shock:

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:40 pm 

Dan was more delirious than normal when it appeared McLaws was going to make a stand. Gave us the chance to achieve a SD win before Reynolds was knocked out.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:38 pm 

Walt, your post made me chuckle. Not General Lee's best decision, was it? :D I will say though, that McLaws' predicament made me think about the number of times that Lee made similar gambles IRL in order to achieve local numerical superiority elsewhere; remarkable, really. Anyway, we had such a good time with this, didn't we? Feel very lucky to have been able to play, and very lucky to see it all from both sides of the fence.

<Salute>

ACWGC President 2022 - 2024

Marshall's Brigade 'The St Andrews Greys', 2nd (Gator Alley) Division, Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:21 pm 

With the release of the final episodes this Video AAR comes to its conclusion.

Episode Eight, Part One - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HYC2nTojzI
Episode Eight, Part Two - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLoOG2ZU1Q0
Episode Nine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOxIzl5JrFo

To those who have sent kind notes, I thank you.

As with all my projects - I learn as I go. These mark some of my earlier attempts at figuring out just how to make a video AAR and more importantly, how to make it interesting.

Since then I have created two new video AAR's based on custom MP games I have conducted in 2022 and 2023. These are both ready to be published over the coming weeks.

With each passing video I find ways to improve the graphics and content by changing things here and there. There are more video AARs in production so I do hope you enjoy the shows.

Thanks everyone for viewing.

As to the Battle of the Rappahannock - what a crazy ending to a game!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:09 pm 

Early in Episode 8 - Part 2 it mentions that a house rule was introduced saying that neither side "would act offensively during the 7:40 PM turn". It said there was a long explanation as to why. I have the time so can we hear it.
It seems like a very odd rule to me, and I can't understand why one side would want to introduce it or why the other side would agree to it. Presumably, there were night rules in place so why have this new house rule? Was it part of the predetermined night rules, and if so, why? Also, what does "act offensively" mean? Does it mean no forward movement? Does it mean no offensive fire, just defensive fire (i.e. opportunity fire)?

Please explain.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:41 pm 

Since I was the one who suggested it, I guess I should be the one to reply.

Routing is determined at the beginning of a side/player's move, not at the end of the previous turn where it logically should be. Don't know why this is, but that would need to be addressed by WDS. It has been this way for years, so I assume it is a part of the game which will not be changed. To the point, any morale checks incurred by the 2nd player in the last daylight turn will be conducted as though they occurred in a night turn. There is a greater chance of routing (and mass routing) in a night time turn. The 2nd player is disadvantaged in this regard, as opposed to the 1st player in a turn. Thus the agreement by both sides to not conduct offensive operations in the last daylight turn.

All should be aware of this anomaly in any game they play, MP or 1-on-1.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:56 pm 

This battle was a joy to fight and a joy to watch! Cheers to Robert on earning MVP! I tried as Ewell and Hampton to break your line, but you would not break!!! I tip my hat to you.

Great job on an excellent battle and an excellent video production, Blake!

2nd "Stewart's" Corps
Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:20 pm 

Thank-you for the explanation. However, surely if the 2nd Player sufficient casualties upon a Player 1 unit, the Player 1 unit will then need to undergo a morale check at the beginning of their next turn (i.e. the first night turn) to determine if it routs or stays routed if already so and will 'lose stragglers' as well. If that unit that had failed that test and routed then all the other units in that hex will also have to undergo a morale check.
Also, I'm still unsure how 'act offensively' is defined. What exactly is considered an offensive act: forward movement; offensive firing; or just melees?

So, I think that it is Player 1 who may suffer some disadvantage. Any such disadvantage is then somewhat balanced by Player 1 getting first go on the next day after recovering fatigue and possibly recovering from disruption and/or rout. Personally, if I was playing I would not want to be deprived on an opportunity to move forward, fire, or melee during the last turn before night as I may want to deprive the enemy of a particular position or move to gain one myself (even though I know that a 'fresher' enemy will get first go at me the next day).

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:32 pm 

The bug I described has been around since the HPS days at least. Whether it has been fixed, there is an intention to fix, or will never be fixed, I can't say. I have never seen any note to this effect in any updates to the Campaign series. If anyone has knowledge that this is no longer a problem, please post here.

The cause, I believe, is that the program retains no knowledge of whether a previous turn was day or night. When the 2nd player in the final dusk turn completes his move (and attacks) by advancing the turn, the game moves to the next turn which is night. Any routing is resolved using the harsher night penalties even though the losses actually occurred during a daylight turn.

My post was to explain the "house" rule used in the Rappahannock scenario, and as information for anyone who may not be aware of the situation I describe above. What individuals care to do with this information is up to them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next