American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Federal War Crimes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:36 pm 

I hate to bring up a sensitive issue, but I think I have evidence, indisputable picture evidence, of a Federal War Crime.

The picture below speaks for itself.

It's hard to tell if that's a lance or a bayonet being used to murder the unarmed Confederate, but I think the point is clear.

The Black Flag, sirs! No more Yankee prisoners shall be harbored.

Thank you to WDS for so bravely telling the truth of this matter :mrgreen:

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Federal War Crimes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:57 pm 

Looks to me that Reb is clutching a gun that he meant to use to shoot our guys in the back as they ran past.

A cut and dry case of self-defense if I ever saw one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:31 pm 

You have to keep an eye on those crafty Rebs. I came across some Reb a while back. They had what looked like a white flag flying when we approached. They fired at us. To make a long story short, we did capture the whole group and found out it wasn't a white flag. They were doing their laundry and hung their panties out to dry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:35 pm 

L. Newell wrote:
You have to keep an eye on those crafty Rebs. I came across some Reb a while back. They had what looked like a white flag flying when we approached. They fired at us. To make a long story short, we did capture the whole group and found out it wasn't a white flag. They were doing their laundry and hung their panties out to dry.

Did you see that in Shenandoah? It may have been General Jackson's cartographer, Jeremiah Hotchkiss, who had thought himself concealed at the time.

On the morning of 30 April 1862, Jackson sent Hotchkiss (with a bed sheet) to climb to the peak at the southern end on Massanutten Mountain. At 0100 that day Hotchkiss (and Company E, 10th Virginia Infantry) set off to climb the mountain. He reached the summit at 0500. From there he could observe the movements down in the valley and the Federal positions near Harrisonburg.
Hotchkiss waved the sheet, according to a prearranged code he and Jackson had decided upon, to inform Jackson of what was happening in the Valley. [Based upon the information there was no battle and Jackson marched away to later appear at McDowell, and we know what happened there on 8 May.]

No white flag of surrender, merely some imaginative reconnaissance.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:46 pm 

That darn sure looks like a Yankee murderer running through one of our poor innocents.

We will bring this up at the next Cabinet meeting and seek to have those responsible hung from the nearest crabapple tree.

Army of Northern Virginia Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:59 pm 

So what unit is that supposed to be? Not aware of any unit using red jackets. Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:13 pm 

I found the culprits.

Army of Northern Virginia Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:27 pm 

Maybe, Steve- but wrong caps on the artwork then (they got blue kepis). Not saying you're wrong - just rather this sort of thing ought to be the responsibility of the publisher to do (or have done by the people they employ).

After doing an image search - m guessing that is probably correct... not exactly zoave headware though -which wouldn't have taken all that long to do something different - imagine it was done 'in the interests of expediting an outcome'.

I don't know Blake - personally, if it were me out there in the field that doesn't happen - as none of the guys that can't work out that Secession isn't allowed for in the Constitution should never close from cannister range that often anyways. Not sure that is any better though ... but then again we're not talking about anything but base attritional outcomes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:51 am 

In my earlier post I referred to a secret code that Jackson and Hotchkiss used.

The other day while looking around at various things I discovered what I am sure must have been the code that Jackson and Hotchkiss used on that day and, presumably, on other occasions as Hotchkiss made the effort to record it. It was recorded upside down in the back of one of Hotchkiss' notebooks (see p44 of 45 in this link https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3880m.gcwh0005/?sp=44&r=-0.116,0,1.232,0.757,180 [I've flipped the image so you should see the code the right way up]). Interestingly, the simpler 'semaphore' movements were reserved for the more common letters (e.g. 'e' is moving the flag just once to the left whereas 'q' requires a move to the right then left and then two more to the right).

As well as many maps that notebook also records (a few pages earlier) a conversation between a doctor and one of the locals at time of the Battle of Cedar Run. In it the local took some offence at the mere suggestion by the doctor that there was even some possibility that Jackson may be beaten. That local said:
"General Jackson never is whipped and he did think that there was any man in his army that thought he could be whipped'.
Hotchkiss then describes how during the battle General Jackson ordered "a charge on them - waving his hat and saying "Remember, you are the Stonewall Brigade" - they cheered, rushed upon the enemy and hustled them from the field, capturing men and colors.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia