American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:52 am 

Definitely not bored and infinitely curious.....that was an Absolutely Brilliant Look Behind the Scenes. I was totally at a loss as to what you were doing and/or trying to achieve.....the video explained it all ! Is there truly no end to your innovation........I am Awestruck :shock:

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:14 pm 

Karl McEntegart wrote:
Is there truly no end to your innovation

I think for past generations it was "necessity is the mother of invention."

I think for ours it is "boredom is the mother of invention."

There is a thesis paper in that statement somewhere for a grad student studying sociology. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:03 pm 

Thesis papers & grad students studying sociology....or anything else for that matter is wayyyyy above my pay grade. I would refer to the more basic, when my kids watched Star Trek, long long ago, where each episode opened as follows:

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!

I suggest the following as an appropriate explanation:
CWB: the final frontier, theses are the voyages of the GiC, his life long mission to explore strange new 'things'. To seek out 'New Ways' and 'New Thinking'. To Boldly Go where no man has gone before

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:28 pm 

The four games are now completed from Set #2 in our Regular Season. We all play seven times in total. The ranking by each participant is their current ranking according to points.

The results from Set #2 -

#7 MIKE vs. #3 DAVID
David's Volunteers, fresh off a victory in Set #1 and led by Lee, were poised to start the season 2 - 0. Numerous positive command spins increased their chances as multiple officers were upgraded. Mike's Gettysburgers command staff suffered some setbacks in the pregame command tests and were underdogs going in. But we still play the games. Mike's guys stood up to David's Volunteers and punched them right in the mouth! Then he just kicked him when he was down until time expired. Mike was able to rack up over 4,000 points in his game, the highest single-game total yet! Mike earned his first victory on the year while David takes a bad beat.

#2 NICK vs #6 TODD
Nick's Virginia Cadets triumphed in their first game but were behind the eight-ball at the start of this one. Numerous command test failures dropped their overall rating from a 91 to an 83! Ouch. Todd's Texas Tornadoes increased their rating from a 95 to 96. Nick would have an uphill battle in this matchup. But that didn't bother him at all! Nick's team, somehow, managed to handle Todd's team in a very close contest. The margin of victory was less than 200 casualties for Nick. But a win is a win! Nick moves to 2 - 0 on the year while Todd falls to 0 - 2.

#5 TOM vs. #1 MITCH
Starting the season as the lowest ranked team did not bother Mitch's Michigan Monsters in their first game. They took down Mike's Gettysburgers handily and rose to the #1 spot in the rankings. But in this contest they ran into Tom's No-Hopers and discovered that playing the role of Top Dog is not easy at all. Mitch rolled poorly in his pre-battle command checks and went into the battle with a low rating of just 85. It was too much to overcome as Tom's team crushed them for their first victory of the season.

#4 KYLE vs. #8 BLAKE
Coming off a first Set defeat to Nick, I was anxious for my Fire-Eaters to get a crack at Kyle's Yankees. The battle see-sawed back and forth with neither side gaining much of an edge. But a first turn rout by my guys in the second game of the contest likely made the difference. We could not gain back the points lost after that and went down in defeat to Kyle's 2 - 0 Yankee team. Another crushing blow for my Nashville team.

Below you will see our standings after Set #2 in our regular season.

In case anyone is bored and/or curious, here is a 20-minute video showing how all this works behind the scenes. Is it interesting? Probably not. But it will show you how all this comes together. Spoiler alert, my dog makes an audio appearance towards the end :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvt4Fp8c4r4

Set #3 coming up Sunday!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:39 pm 

I understood that the battles would be AI controlled. Doesn't manual intervention in moving leaders to rally routed units change the results?

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 12:00 am 

Quaama wrote:
I understood that the battles would be AI controlled. Doesn't manual intervention in moving leaders to rally routed units change the results?

Remember this is just for fun and not scientific purposes :)

But, no, I don't think it does in any significant way. I move the BCs to more quickly rally units. I do it equally for both sides. Any effect that has would be immeasurably small.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:33 am 

The four games are now completed from Set #3 in our Regular Season. We all play seven times in total. The ranking by each participant is their current ranking according to points.

The results from Set #3 -

#8 DAVID vs. #1 NICK
Nick's undefeated Virginia Cadets had a tough pre-battle command check. BC Iverson dropped to an F-rating and Nick's team would enter the battle below their base rating. But David's bad luck streak continued as he suffered some poor command tests which knocked his overall rating from a 91 to an 85. The big hit for him was CC Hancock dropping from a leadership rating B to a D.

In the battle itself, Nick's forces were unstoppable. They would not be beaten and refused to rout turn-after-turn. David's team made a valiant comeback in the second mirror battle but could not overcome the deficit built up in the first game. Nick's team rolled to another victory and remain undefeated.

#2 MIKE vs #4 TOM
The pre-battle Command tests in this one were unkind to Tom. Sherman must have broken a mirror because he dropped from a B/B rating to a C/D rating after the command tests. Would it be the difference maker?

The battle was close at times, but Mike was able to break Tom's line at critical moments and earn the victory. Sherman's bad day likely was the difference in this one. Mike earns his second win while handing Tom his second defeat.

#6 TODD vs. #3 KYLE
In the pre-battle tests between Todd's Texas Tornadoes and Kyle's undefeated Yankees, Kyle got the better rolls and improved his rating to a 93 from a 91. Todd took some bad rolls and his rating dropped from a 95 to a 92. How will this turn out?

Todd's team managed to stand toe-to-toe with Kyle's Yankees and refused to rout. Kyle's Yankees tried all they could but in the end could not defeat Todd's Texans. Todd receives his first win and hands Kyle his first defeat in an upset.

#5 MITCH vs. #7 BLAKE
After Mitch's Set #1 upset victory, he fell in Set #2 to Tom's No-Hopers. Mitch had a poor pre-battle command check and came into the battle below average in points. Luckily, he was playing against my team. My team had some good rolls and we managed to go into the contest with our team leaders at full strength. Would it be enough to earn my Fire-Eaters their first win?

Mitch came out swinging and caused some early routs. We hung on and fought back hard. The game was neck-and-neck throughout much of it. After the smoke cleared it was time to count up the losses and determine the winner. Mitch's Michigan Monsters handed me my third loss and went on to victory by a margin of less than 100.

Below you will see our standings after Set #3 in our regular season.

In case anyone is bored and/or curious, here is a 20-minute video showing how all this works behind the scenes. Is it interesting? Probably not. But it will show you how all this comes together. Spoiler alert, my dog makes an audio appearance towards the end :mrgreen:

Set #4 coming up Monday!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 12:04 pm 

The AI is obviously no respecter of the 'Gator' prowess :shock: General Reneau.....shock n horror Sir.

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:08 pm 

Colonel McEntegart,

As you have experienced at the hands of the Gators on many occasions, the AI is a poor substitute for Gator leadership and Esprit de corps!

:mrgreen:

Army of Tennessee
Commanding

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:52 pm 

General Reneau <salute>

Indeed your point is well taken and even acknowledged, Sir. I will on this occasion overlook the insolence to your Commanding Officer, given the informal venue 'Fantasy Draft' location, but caution you to curtail the natural 'Gator' exuberance and save it for our Yankee foe. Whilst the superb leadership and Espirit de Corps of the 'Gator' is both renowned and unquestioned, the fact remains, the figures do not lie, the AI is currently 'kicking butt'. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 3:45 pm 

The four games are now completed from Set #4 in our Regular Season. We all play seven times in total. The ranking by each participant is their current ranking according to points.

The results from Set #4 -

#6 TOM vs. #8 DAVID
After a poor performance by Sherman in his last battle, Tom's No-Hoper's were looking for a turnaround this time. But Sherman again busted his command test and dropped from a B/B to a D/B. Overall Tom's team would actually improve by one point in the pre-battle tests, only not on the AC level. But David's Tennessee Volunteers fared much worse in the tests and dropped from a 91 rating to an 84 rating.

The battle was a good one with David's men fighting hard to hold their line. Tom's team managed to rout them back, but in the end could not keep them down. David's team roared back and ended up with the victory. This brings David's Volunteers back to 2 - 2 while Tom falls to 1 - 3.

#1 NICK vs #5 KYLE
Nick's first place Virginia Cadets would lose some of their command rolls before the battle and go into the fight againts Kyle's Yankees with an 87 rating. Johnston lost his command test (5% chance to lose it) and dropped to a E/B rating. Kyle would improve by one point before the battle to a 92 rating.

Kyle got the best of Nick's team in their first contest and it seemed Nick was headed to his first defeat. But then Nick's guys came out in the mirror match and refused to lose. Battling back from a large deficit of points, they routed Kyle's units regularly and soon overtook them for the lead. Nick walked away with his perfect record intact while Kyle fell to 2 - 2.

#7 BLAKE vs. #2 MIKE
Blake's Nashville Fire-Eaters remain the only team without a win here in the 4th Set. Pre-battle command tests continued to hurt him as Ewell failed his and dropped from B/B to D/B. Mike's Gettysburgers broke even in the command tests and came into the battle ready to fight.

This was a very close battle. Blake's guys scraped by in the first match and only needed to have an average second game to secure the win. Unfortunately, they blew it. With a late lead they started to rout and their fire slackened. Mike's team took advantage of it and pulled ahead in points. Mike earned his third victory while Blake's team fell to 0 - 4. Oh the humanity!

#4 TODD vs. #3 MITCH
Todd's Texas Tornadoes had a setback even before the battle began when Bragg botched his command test (8% chance) and dropped to a rating of E/D. Mitch's Monsters maintained their 89 score through their command tests. Grant did improve to an A/A rating - excellent Grant vs. sad Bragg.

This was a crazy battle as Todd's team was crushed by Grant's army in their first game. But Grant faltered in the mirror match and Mitch's team steadily routed them. In the end the outcome was decided by just 13 points in Todd's favor. Bragg beats Grant!

Below you will see our standings after Set #4 in our regular season.

NOTES:
Although my team has not won a single game, I am in 6th place! I have racked up some good kill totals in my losses. I am just around 70 points behind Kyle for 5th place and a spot in the play-in game for the playoffs. But there is a long way to go still.

David sits in 8th place despite two wins! How? His Set #2 game against Mike was a crushing defeat. The average game ends with each player earning about 3,600 points (give or take 100 or 200 points) and David earned just 3,037 in that game! It is the largest margin of defeat in any of the games by far. The next largest difference between the winner and the loser is 437. David will need to claw his way up the leaderboard with a big game total or two. He is only a few hundred points from the play-in spot at #5.

Set #5 coming up Tuesday!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 3:56 pm 

Exciting stuff, thank you Sir.

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 12:05 pm 

The four games are now completed from Set #5 in our Regular Season. We all play seven times in total. The ranking by each participant is their current ranking according to points.

The results from Set #5 -

#5 KYLE vs. #8 DAVID

Want to view the play-by-play rather than read about it? Check out the YouTube video for my commentary as I quickly click through the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2F8CmYCFiM

For those who prefer to read the quick recap:
David's last place Volunteers continued their string of bad luck as they dropped from a 91 rating to an 86 before the battle began during their command tests. Most of these were in their BC spots which may hurt them as we fight the battle. Kyle raised his command ratings from a 91 to a 92 before the battle.

Kyle's team held their lines very well and managed to make David's team pay heavily in the first game in their contest. David tried to mount a comeback in the second game but was unable to overcome the first match losses and suffered his third defeat of the season. Kyle walks away with his third victory.

#7 TOM vs #6 BLAKE
Still winless on the year, Blake's Nashville Fire-Eaters finally had some good pre-battle command results and improved their overall rating by a point. Tom's team, meanwhile, improved their rating by two points. Would Blake's string of bad luck continue?

Despite putting up a great fight in the first of the two battles, Blake's team could not hold their line in the second battle and continued to rout when it mattered most. Tom's No-Hopers walked away with a much-needed victory over the Fire-Eaters and have passed them in the points standings.

#2 NICK vs. #3 MITCH
In the matchup between Nick's unbeaten Virginia Cadets and Mitch's Michigan Monsters, Nick had the superior command rolls at the start. Nick's team improved from a rating of 91 to a 95. Mitch's team improved only from an 89 to a 90. Advantage Nick. How would it play out?

Mitch's Monsters hardly knew what hit them. In the first mirror match battle, Nick's team stood up to enemy fire and did not rout except for a few times. They built up such a big lead in points that although Mitch made a comeback in the second game, the result was never in doubt. Nick moves to 5 - 0 on the year while Mitch falls to 2 - 3.

#1 MIKE vs. #4 TODD
Todd's Texas Tornadoes will go into their game against Mike's 1st Place Gettysburgers with the highest rated team in any game so far - a 98 rating. Numerous command upgrades in the pre-battle test upgraded Todd's force up from a 95. For Mike, the luck was not running the same way. His team dropped from a rating of 91 down to 87.

Mike's Gettysburgers dominated this battle from start to finish. Todd's team was overwhelmed as Mike opened up a large lead in the first game and never looked back. Mike moves to 4 - 1 on the year while Todd drops to 2 - 3.

Below you will see our standings after Set #5 in our regular season.

(Due to a tech issue this is down at the moment)

NOTES:
Who I gotta kill to get a victory around here?! An absolutely abysmal performance by my team. The next two games are must-wins if I have any hope of at least reaching the play-in game.

Nick has overtaken Mike for 1st Place again. His unbeaten record is phenomenal and both he and Mike are well out ahead of the rest of the teams. Barring some drastic defeat, they should be the top two seeds in the playoffs. Luckily for the rest of us - they play one another in the next set!!

Set #6 coming up Wednesday!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:00 pm 

:shock: :shock: The table for Set#5 didn't/won't display !

It's getting too exciting to be missing out at this stage.........

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:27 pm 

Oh look, the training academy leadership team are #1 and #2 in the standings. No shock there 8)

#ATAalltheway

https://blakeacwgc.wixsite.com/trainingacademy
http://www.civilwartees.com/