American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:12 pm 

While watching the NFL Draft, did you think, "why not have a draft of Civil War General's and have a fantasy league?"

When the NFL Draft lasts for days, you have time to work on this stuff and make crazy ideas a reality.

Being the overly active soul that I am - I decided to create a full-fledged Fantasy League complete with eight teams, a pool of eighty generals, and an A/I controlled battlefield to determine which Team Captain drafted the best overall Team.

Sound crazy? Probably. But who cares?

If you are looking to join... sorry, the roster is already full! If this idea works and is fun maybe I will do it again someday.

The following is for entertainment purposes only and to have some fun. Feel free to follow along with this thread if it amuses you. If not, just ignore it :)

For a full list of the rules, go to https://www.acwgc.net/fantasy-draft.

Are the rules and the system perfect? Probably not. I made them up as I went along. But they will work well enough - I hope :mrgreen:

I will post the First Round Draft choices for each participant below. After that I will just update this when each round is completed. I will then update it after we begin our regular season to see which team makes the playoffs and eventually is crowned the Champions.

The participants, teams, and Draft Order are - - -
DAVID PEEK - Tennessee Volunteers - First Pick
MITCH JOHNSON - Michigan Monsters - Second Pick
BLAKE STRICKLER - Nashville Fire-Eaters - Third Pick
KYLE FITZMAURICE - The Yankees - Fourth Pick
TOM MARSHALL - Northamptonshire No-Hopers - Fifth Pick
NICK KUNZ - Virginia Cadets - Sixth Pick
MIKE BARYCKI - The Gettysburgers - Seventh Pick
TODD HIVELY - Texas Tornadoes - Eighth Pick

We will each have 10 picks and an army consisting of one AC, one CC, two DCs and six BCs. All this is covered in the rules though.

With the first selection of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, David Peek selects - Robert E. Lee out of Virginia.
Analysis - No brainer. Lee is the highest rated army general available and is unlikely to be anything but a star on the field.

With the second selection of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mitch Johnson selects - Ulysses S. Grant out of Illinois.
Analysis - Grant is the second-best AC available in the draft. No surprise here.

With the third selection of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Blake Strickler selects - Thomas J. Jackson out of Virginia.
Analysis - With Lee and Grant off the board I decided not to draft Sherman as my AC but instead to take Jackson as my CC. Jackson is unflappable and will hopefully make up for a weaker AC I will have to pick up in a later round. I am almost certain I will get Bragg as my AC. C'est la vie.

With the fourth selection of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Kyle FitzMaurice selects - George Thomas out of Virginia.
Analysis - The first real shocker as Kyle doesn't pick Sherman and instead takes the Virginian to lead his army! Thomas isn't as highly rated as Sherman but has a higher probability of turning into a solid general. The rumors of Sherman's mental health undoubtedly scared off Kyle from selecting him with his first pick.

With the fifth selection of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Tom Marshall selects - Will Sherman out of Ohio.
Analysis - Sherman's possible quirks don't worry Tom. He snatches up the man who made Georgia howl.

With the sixth selection of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Nick Kunz selects - John Bell Hood out of Kentucky.
Analysis - I am surprised to see a DC go so highly, but Hood is a top DC in this draft. Perhaps Nick is looking to concentrate on the best small unit commanders possible.

With the seventh selection of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mike Barycki selects - James Longstreet out of South Carolina.
Analysis - With the top AC's already off the board, and Jackson as well, Mike went with the second-best CC in the draft and selected Longstreet. "My thought here is to take the CC knowing one of the two ok remaining ACs will be available when the draft snakes back to me."

With the eights and final selection of the First Round in the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Todd Hively selects - John B. Gordon out of Georgia.
Analysis - With the top AC's and CC's already drafted, Todd decided to pass on a top DC and go for the best possible brigadier in the draft.

Alright, I will be back and post more when Round Two is completed.

I have to admit just the drafting process has been fun :D

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:05 pm 

WOW......this should be interesting :lol:

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:38 pm 

Fantastic freaking idea. If we ever do it again we need to expand it to more generals with more variables and more teams. But this is great.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 11:10 am 

The Second Round of the Draft is completed. Here are the picks -

With the first selection in the Second Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Todd Hively selects - John Bowen out of Georgia.
Analysis - Adding Bowen with John B. Gordon gives Todd two of the best brigadiers in the draft. A formidable front line.

With the second selection in the Second Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mike Barycki selects - Patrick Cleburne out of Arkansas.
Analysis - Combining Longstreet and Cleburne on this team is a great pairing. It gives Mike two solid leaders at the CC and DC level.

With the third selection in the Second Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Nick Kunz selects - Phil Sheridan out of New York.
Analysis - Nick has drafted two very bold DC's in Sheridan and Hood! Courage won't be lacking on that level of his army.

With the fourth selection in the Second Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Tom Marshall selects - John Reynolds out of Pennsylvania.
Analysis - With Sherman as his AC, Tim opted to pair him with a top-notch CC.

With the fifth selection in the Second Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Kyle FitzMaurice selects - John Gibbon out of Pennsylvania.
Analysis - With the Rock of Chickamauga as his AC, Kyle has added another reliable regular army officer to his team. As a BC Gibbon is as solid as they come.

With the sixth selection in the Second Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Blake Strickler selects - Jeb Stuart out of Virginia.
Analysis - I still need an AC. But I know Beauregard will be on the board in Round Three for me. So I am taking the best DC on the board in Jeb Stuart. Booyah!

With the seventh selection in the Second Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mitch Johnson selects - James Wilson out of Illinois.
Analysis - Wilson joins Grant on Mitch's team. With a top tier AC and a top BC, Mitch's team is stocked at the top and bottom.

With the eighth and final selection in the Second Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, David Peek selects - Winfield Hancock out of Pennsylvania.
Analysis - Hancock is the best remaining CC on the board and should give David a solid one-two punch for his high command.

That's all from Round Two! Will be back with the Round Three selections when they are completed.

Who's left on the board? Forrest, Mahone, Buford, Wilcox, McLaws, Wheeler, Hooker, and a lot more.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:48 pm 

The Third Round of the Draft is completed. Here are the picks -

With the first selection in the Third Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, David Peek selects - Nathan Bedford Forrest out of Tennessee.
Analysis - Forrest is the best BC left in the draft. This gives David a boost on his front line. But he still has two empty DC slots to fill.

With the second selection in the Third Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mitch Johnson selects - Jubal Early out of Virginia.
Analysis - Early joins Grant in the high command pyramid of Mitch's team. What a bizarre combo that would have made! But Early is a good DC and should perform well.

With the third selection in the Third Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Blake Strickler selects - Pierre Beauregard out of Louisiana.
Analysis - I knew I would have to take Beauregard here or risk seeing him taken before my fourth pick came up. Paired with Jackson as CC and Stuart as one of my DC's, the trio should perform well.

With the fourth selection in the Third Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Kyle FitzMaurice selects - Stephen Ramseur out of North Carolina.
Analysis - Kyle continues to build a team of low-risk generals. Thomas, Gibbon, and Ramseur are all solid. But Kyle still has an empty CC slot and needs two DC's. Not many good ones left.

With the fifth selection in the Third Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Tom Marshall selects - Frederick Steele out of New York.
Analysis - Just like me, Tom has filled in 3 of his 4 command slots with his first three picks. Steele joins Sherman and Reynolds on Tom's team.

With the sixth selection in the Third Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Nick Kunz selects - Joseph Johnston out of Virginia.
Analysis - Realizing there are just three AC's left, Nick had to pull the trigger on Johnston here. This leaves just Rosecrans and Bragg on the board for AC's.

With the seventh selection in the Third Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mike Barycki selects - William Rosecrans out of Ohio.
Analysis - Mike wasn't going to risk being stuck with Bragg and so drafted Rosecrans here. Probably not what he wanted to do but it had to be done.

With the eighth and final selection in the Third Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Todd Hively selects - Lafayette McLaws out of Georgia.
Analysis - With Bragg the only AC left in the pool, Todd is able to draft whomever he likes to fill his other roles. Bragg will fall to him in Round Eight. In this round he went with the best DC on the board - McLaws.

That's all from Round Three! Will be back with the Round Four selections when they are completed.

Who's left on the board? Hampton, Wilcox, Hazen, Hardee, Cheatham, Custer, and many more.

The teams so far:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 12:26 pm 

The Fourth Round of the Draft is completed. Here are the picks -

With the first selection in the Fourth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Todd Hively selects - John Buford out of Kentucky.
Analysis - Todd has added another excellent BG to go along with Gordon and Bowen. Quite a front line going.

With the second selection in the Fourth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mike Barycki selects - Cadmus Wilcox out of North Carolina.
Analysis - With an AC, CC, and DC already selected, Mike went with a BC this round. Wilcox was the last elite BC on the board.

With the third selection in the Fourth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Nick Kunz selects - James McPherson out of Ohio.
Analysis - Nick becomes the first team captain to draft a general for all four command spots (AC, CC, 2 DC's). McPherson joins Johnston, Hood, and Sheridan on Nick's team.

With the fourth selection in the Fourth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Tom Marshall selects - Joe Hooker out of Massachusetts.
Analysis - Tom grabs a second DC to go along with Steele in this round. Tom has a complete high command team now of Sherman, Reynolds, Steele and Hooker.

With the fifth selection in the Fourth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Kyle FitzMaurice selects - Evander Law out of South Carolina.
Analysis - Passing on Richard Ewell as a DC, Kyle opts to draft a third BC with Law. The above average Law joins Ramseur and Gibbon on the front line.

With the sixth selection in the Fourth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Blake Strickler selects - Richard Ewell out of Virginia.
Analysis - There are still some good BCs left to draft in the next round and beyond. Therefore, I am taking Ewell as he is the best DC still on the board. Pairing him up with Jackson, Stuart, and Beauregard give me quite a foursome in my high command.

With the seventh selection in the Fourth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mitch Johnson selects - Francis Barlow out of New York.
Analysis - With DC's coming off the board quickly, Mitch probably felt he had to make a move now to avoid getting a bottom tier DC in a later round.

With the eighth and final selection in the Fourth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, David Peek selects - William B. Hazen out of Vermont.
Analysis - David chooses to ignore his needs on the DC level and draft another BC with Hazen. But Hazen is a good BC who will join Forrest in the front lines.

That's all from Round Four! Will be back with the Round Five selections when they are completed.

Who's left on the board? Wilder, Caldwell, Turchin, Hays, Carr, Wadsworth, Lane - and many more.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:45 pm 

The Fifth Round of the Draft is completed. Here are the picks -

With the first selection in the Fifth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, David Peek selects - William Cabell out of Virginia.
Analysis - Choosing to keep drafting BC's, David adds another to his army to join Forrest and Hazen.

With the second selection in the Fifth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mitch Johnson selects - Joseph Wheeler out of Georgia.
Analysis - Ignoring his need for a CC, Mitch opts to draft the risky but talented BC Wheeler.

With the third selection in the Fifth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Blake Strickler selects - Joseph Kershaw out of South Carolina.
Analysis - With my high command all filled, it is time to draft BCs. I can think of no better place to start than with the best one still on the board in Kershaw.

With the fourth selection in the Fifth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Kyle FitzMaurice selects - Wade Hampton out of South Carolina.
Analysis - Kyle is the first person to draft four BC's in this draft. His front line includes Gibbon, Ramseur, Law, and now Hampton. Solid.

With the fifth selection in the Fifth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Tom Marshall selects - John Wilder out of New York.
Analysis - Tom picks up John Wilder as his first BC on his team.

With the sixth selection in the Fifth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Nick Kunz selects - William Barksdale out of Tennessee.
Analysis - Nick has snatched up an above average BC in Barksdale with this pick. Like Tom and I, Nick has his command staff filled out and is now drafting BCs.

With the seventh selection in the Fifth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Michael Barycki selects - James Tuttle out of Ohio.
Analysis - Mike has opted to pass on drafting a DC this round and picked up James Tuttle as his second BC to go with Wilcox.

With the eighth and final selection in the Fifth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Todd Hively selects - William Hardee out of Georgia.
Analysis - Todd chose to pull the trigger on Hardee with this pick. I think Todd knew that if he passed on a CC this time that he would end up with Polk as his CC in the end. Plugging "Old Reliable" Hardee into his team is a good move.

That's all from Round Five! Will be back with the Round Six selections when they are completed.

Who's left on the board? Cheatham, Rousseau, Webb, Buckner, Toombs, and others!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:28 am 

"With the eighth and final selection in the Fifth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Todd Hively selects - William Hardee out of Georgia.
Analysis - Todd chose to pull the trigger on Hardee with this pick. I think Todd knew that if he passed on a CC this time that he would end up with Polk as his CC in the end. Plugging "Old Reliable" Hardee into his team is a good move."

.................And what's wrong with General Polk might I ask :shock: :lol:

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:35 pm 

Karl McEntegart wrote:
.................And what's wrong with General Polk might I ask :shock: :lol:

Nothing a cannonball to the chest couldn't fix :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:43 pm 

The Sixth Round of the Draft is completed. Here are the picks -

With the first selection in the Sixth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Todd Hively selects - James Wadsworth out of New York.
Analysis - With the division commanders coming off the board fast, Todd grabs the slightly above average Wadsworth to pair with McLaws as his DCs.

With the second selection in the Sixth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mike Barycki selects - George Sykes out of Delaware.
Analysis - Another DC off the board as Sykes joins Cleburne as the DCs for Mike's team.

With the third selection in the Sixth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Nick Kunz selects - William Mahone out of Virginia.
Analysis - Nick is adding a second William to his BC roster. Mahone will join Barksdale on the front lines.

With the fourth selection in the Sixth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Tom Marshall selects - Alexander Webb out of New York.
Analysis - Webb is the second BC drafted by Tom and joins Wilder drafted the round before.

With the fifth selection in the Sixth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Kyle FitzMaurice selects - John Caldwell out of Vermont.
Analysis - Wow! I thought for sure he would grab CC John Logan. But he is sticking with BC's and stocking up.

With the sixth selection in the Sixth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Blake Strickler selects - Joseph Lewis out of Kentucky.
Analysis - It is merely a matter of filling out my BC lineup at this point. Hopefully drafting a Kentuckian will win me some love from the Bluegrass State.

With the seventh selection in the Sixth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mitch Johnson selects - Ferdinand Van Derveer out of Ohio.
Analysis - Mitch, like Kyle, doesn't seem to be worried about that CC slot. He passed on Logan and drafted Van Derveer to join Wilson and Wheeler as BCs.

With the eighth and final selection in the Sixth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, David Peek selects - Benjamin Cheatham out of Tennessee.
Analysis - With only a few DCs left on the board, David chose the best available in Cheatham.

That's all from Round Six! Will be back with the Round Seven selections when they are completed.

Who's left on the board? Coster, Veatch, Palmer, Upton, Iverson, Custer and more.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:34 pm 

The Seventh Round of the Draft is completed. Here are the picks -

With the first selection in the Seventh Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, David Peek selects - Lovell Rousseau out of Kentucky.
Analysis - David drafted his second divisional commander rather than waiting any longer. Rousseau is only average but is the best remaining divisional leader.

With the second selection in the Seventh Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mitch Johnson selects - George Custer out of Ohio.
Analysis - Mitch has again passed on filling the CC need that he has and has opted to keep stacking up with BC's. Will this tactic work?

With the third selection in the Seventh Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Blake Strickler selects - Edward Walthall out of Virginia.
Analysis - Walthall is an above average BC and a Confederate. It wasn't by design but at this point I am fielding an all-Rebel team. I am going to run with it.

With the fourth selection in the Seventh Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Kyle FitzMaurice selects - John McArthur out of Illinois.
Analysis - Kyle is the first player to complete his roster of BC's. His high command still has three empty spots with DCs and a CC.

With the fifth selection in the Seventh Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Tom Marshall selects - William Grose out of Ohio.
Analysis - In contrast to my all-Rebel team, Tom has drafted another Yankee to his all-Union squad.

With the sixth selection in the Seventh Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Nick Kunz selects - Emory Upton out of New York.
Analysis - The young Upton is a sloid pick to go along with Mahone and Barksdale on Nick's front line.

With the seventh selection in the Seventh Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mike Barycki selects - John Turchin out of Illinois.
Analysis - Mike drafts the "sacker of Athens" with his pick. The controversial Turchin is the third BC on Mike's team along with Tuttle and Wilcox.

With the eighth and final selection in the Seventh Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Todd Hively selects - Lucius Polk out of North Carolina.
Analysis - Lucius Polk may feel awkward as the first BC on Todd's team NOT to be named John. He joins the three John's, Gibbon, Bowen, and Buford, on Todd's team.

That's all from Round Seven! Will be back with the Round Eight selections when they are completed.

Who's left on the board? Palmer, Starkweather, Seymour, Crook, Toombs, and more.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:37 pm 

I'm sure Lucius Polk shall be fine. Although his uncle, the Fighting Bishop, has his critics I have never seen anything but praise for Lucius Polk.

"In every battle he was engaged in, he led his men to victory, or held the enemy at bay, while the surge of battle seemed against us; he always seemed the successful general, who would snatch victory out of the very jaws of defeat. In every battle, Polk's brigade, of Cleburne's division, distinguished itself, almost making the name of Cleburne as the Stonewall of the West. Polk was to Cleburne what Murat or the old guard was to Napoleon. And, at the battle of Chickamauga, when it seemed that the Southern army had nearly lost the battle, General Lucius E. Polk's brigade made the most gallant charge of the war, turning the tide of affairs, and routing the Yankee army. General Polk himself led the charge in person, and was the first man on top of the Yankee breastworks (_vide_ General D. H. Hill's report of the battle of Chickamauga), and in every attack he had the advance guard, and in every retreat, the rear guard of the army. Why? Because General Lucius E. Polk and his brave soldiers _never_ faltered, and with him as leader, the general commanding the army knew that "all was well."

Quote from: "CO. AYTCH," MAURY GRAYS, FIRST TENNESSEE REGIMENT; OR, A SIDE SHOW OF THE BIG SHOW. By SAM. R. WATKINS, COLUMBIA, TENN.

Thanks for the table; it makes things very clear.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:20 am 

The Eighth Round of the Draft is completed. Here are the picks -

With the first selection in the Eighth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Todd Hively selects - Solomon Meredith out of Indiana.
Analysis - Todd adds another reliable BC to his roster.

With the second selection in the Eighth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mike Barycki selects - Harry Hays out of Tennessee.
Analysis - Mike picks up the famed Louisiana brigade commander.

With the third selection in the Eighth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Nick Kunz selects - James Lane out of Virginia.
Analysis - Nick picks up the veteran ANV brigadier in this round.

With the fourth selection in the Eighth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Tom Marshall selects - John Starkweather out of New York.
Analysis - Refusing to be intimidated by Todd's roster with three "John's", Tom has drafted his third John. Starkweather joins fellow John's Wilder and Reynolds.

With the fifth selection in the Eighth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Kyle FitzMaurice selects - John Logan out of Illinois.
Analysis - Kyle kills it with this pick! Not only does he get the CC he needed, but he pulls ahead in the race for generals named "John" by drafting Logan. This is the fourth John on his team (Gibbon, Caldwell, McArthur).

With the sixth selection in the Eighth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Blake Strickler selects - George Maney out of Tennessee.
Analysis - An average AoT BC that I had to pick up. Hopefully my fellow Tennessean can make good.

With the seventh selection in the Eighth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, Mitch Johnson selects - John K. Jackson out of Illinois.
Analysis - Mitch is out of the "John" game now. He was one of three people not to draft a John. The only teams left without a general named John are David's and mine.

With the eighth and final selection in the Eighth Round of the 2023 ACWGC Fantasy Draft, David Peek selects - Patton Anderson out of Tennessee.
Analysis - Another Tennessean is drafted here in round eight. The veteran Anderson may not be better than average, but sometimes that's enough.

That's all from Round Eight! Will be back with the Round Nine selections when they are completed.

Who's left on the board? Palmer, Veatch, Pillow, W S Smith, Iverson, and more.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:04 pm 

The Ninth and Tenth Rounds of the Draft are now completed. As we were drafting from just a handful of average to below average officers, I will spare the pick-by-pick listing and skip right ahead to the chart showing the final teams.

A few interesting things about the draft -
Tom has a team full of Yankees and I have a team full of Rebs. I doubt either of us started out to do that but that's how it ended up.

In the "Battle for the Johns" we had a tight race. Kyle won by drafting five generals named John. Todd and Tom tied for second with three John's on their team.

Although Todd drafted last, he enters the season as the #1 seed! He drafted smartly and fields a team that is, statistically, out ahead of us all. His lineup of BCs is fearful with Forrest, Bowen and Buford leading the group.

With the draft now over, our contest really begins. We will have a 28-game round robin tournament to determine which four teams will advance to the playoffs. The A/I will play the games as outlined in our Rules which can be found using this link https://www.acwgc.net/fantasy-draft

It's been a ton of fun drafting these teams and I think we all really enjoyed the process. I planned on it taking a few weeks to exchange the 100+ emails needed to draft our teams - but we did it in five days! Wow.

Nothing to do now except punch the numbers into the computer and let the A/I determine who had the best draft. Will having a better high command team mean anything? Will BC's rule the battlefield? Will a balanced team be the best team? Let's find out!!

I will update this thread with game results as they become available.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:48 am 

The first four games are completed from Set #1. We all play seven times in total. The ranking by each participant is their preseason ranking according to points.

The results from Set #1 -

#1 TODD vs. #2 DAVID
The heavyweight battle featuring the army of Robert E. Lee (David) vs. the brutal front-line commanders in Todd's army (Gordon, Bowen, Buford). This was a slugfest from start to finish. In the end, the upset occurred as David knocked off the number one seed.

#5 MIKE vs #7 MITCH
Mitch's team got some good rolls with their commanders and were boosted up going into the game. Mitch's team, led by Grant, overpowered Mike's team led by Rosecrans Longstreet and Cleburne. Mitch pulled out a victory here in his first game.

#3 NICK vs. #6 BLAKE
This wasn't even competitive! I rolled snake eyes every time in my pre-battle command tests and saw numerous officers drop in ratings. As a result my army just wouldn't hold the line. We got embarrassed by Nick's army as they rolled right over us!

#4 KYLE vs. #8 TOM
This was our ESPN Primetime Game of the Week! Nothing crazy happened in the pre-battle command checks but the game was bonkers. Tom's No-Hopers took it to Kyle's Yankees in the first match. I assumed it was over. But Kyle's guys stormed back in game number two. Would it be enough? The final score was 3,558 to 3,557 - a difference of one casualty!!! The winner? Kyle!

Below you will see our standings after Set #1 in our regular season.

In case anyone is bored and/or curious, here is a 20-minute video showing how all this works behind the scenes. Is it interesting? Probably not. But it will show you how all this comes together. Spoiler alert, my dog makes an audio appearance towards the end :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvt4Fp8c4r4

Set #2 coming up later!