American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:01 pm 

Location: From the Blue Waters of the Chesapeake Bay to the Hills of Tennessee
While looking for a scenario that I thought I'd heard about somewhere in passing (General Strickler was kind enough to provide a link), I came across another scenario by Robert Frost that looked quite interesting. It's the mash-up of Gettysburg and Overland entitled Struggle WDS. A reading of the scenario notes sounded rather interesting, and after downloading, I popped it open to look at the map.

The map is an area of central Virginia that I'm somewhat familiar with, having surveyed across the state for many years earlier in my career. Running generally from northwest to southeast is a road that's shown on the map as Three Chopped Road. I immediately thought "That's wrong!".

During one of my first trips through Richmond, I found myself on a road named Three Chopt. Intrigued as I was by the spelling, I was compelled to investigate the history of the road. It turns out that this road was once an old Native American trail that was marked by three notches on trees along its path, earning the name Three Notched Road. Later, settlers called the road King's Highway, as many roads were called in these early days. Mostly, however, folks called it Three Notched or Three Chopt Road.

To my knowledge, the only time this road was ever called Three Chopped was on an old map dated circa 1819. A later map of Henrico County, prepared by Robert Smith, et al. in 1853, shows the road as Three Chopt. And so it was before the 1819 map and has been ever since...

I've not yet played on any of the Peninsula maps or the Williamsburg scenario. It may be that this same road also shows up on these maps. While living in Newport News, I recall having seen a Three Chopt Road in Hampton. It's my understanding that this old trail ran from the Blue Ridge to the coast. Today, I-64 generally follows along the same path. Travelers driving along U.S. Route 250 (the main highway in this area & direction prior to the interstate system) between Charlottesville and Richmond will pass several intersections with Three Chopt Road.

So, enough history... this fight looks very interesting, having half-hour turns during daylight and a "different" PDT from what I'm used to. It's large, too large for this working man to play H2H, although I could be interested in a multi-player game. I've looked through the Gettysburg scenarios listed in the DoR and a scenario entitled Struggle for Control / 200 has been played several times. However, the files that I unzipped were all dated 2022 and this scenario has 150 turns. Of the games listed in the DoR, all but one were played prior to 2018 and only two lasted more than 100 turns. So, has anyone played this, and if so, thoughts?

I/4/4

"Up, men, to your posts! Don't forget today that you are from old Virginia

MG George E. Pickett, July 3, 1863

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:15 pm 

Very cool find Mike and neat hearing about the scenario!

Bumping up your post in hopes that folks see it.

Profile Send private message