American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:32 pm 

Part Five is now posted on YouTube.

This one stayed hot from start to finish. But time is starting to become a factor as the two sides battle it out as the sun begins to go down.

More to come...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHiCEA52EmQ

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:23 am 

As always, the previous two episodes and indeed this one were fantastic viewing and thoroughly enjoyable. Another success for the custom MP game and the YouTube production and presentation of it, well done Sir. The build-up to the final is nail biting stuff.

When was this game actually played and how long di it take to complete ? 31 Turns is short by your standards but perhaps the shorter games focuses the players and demands fast effective decisions and indeed outcomes.

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:33 pm 

The game was played out in late 2022 and early 2023. I think it only took a few months to play at most. Paul usually has good records and might recall exactly when.

I can create long or short games at different times. My preference is to create short or medium games for various reasons. I just think they often get you to the "good stuff" faster and are action packed. My ongoing MP game is the biggest I've done in a long while. Who knows what the next will be? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:57 pm 

Oh, we were quicker than that.

I expressed an interest in the game late in 2022 (Christmas Eve eve) and purchased the title necessary for the game soon after that [a Christmas present for myself]. I was told it would be a one-day (2X2) battle on a smaller map than usual and that was about it. I said I had no problem with that as smaller maps are not a problem provided there is room for manoeuvre - I don't want a small map crammed up with too many units.
After some preliminary discussions, the game started on 15 January 2023 [Australia time so probably late 14 January USA time]. It finished early on 18 February 2023 [again, Australia time so sometime on 17 February USA time]. There was some discussion and analysis after that.

So, if you calculate it out, a complete turn (both sides) was almost always completed within twenty-four hours (sometimes we got two complete turns finished in a day). The limits on communication between team members helps MP games progress at a good pace. The promptness of the players on both sides was, obviously, a major factor. Those turns that took a little over twenty-four hours were generally those for the conferences.
________________________________________________________________________________________

I do enjoy the bigger battles with large numbers of units but they can be fairly slow for MP games. This was a matter I was recently discussing with a senior CSA member (not Blake) who is seeking a way to speed things up in such games. Regrettably, I do not have any fail-proof solution to the slowness that can occur in larger games involving a number of players (often simply due to the fact that eight or more files can be necessary for each complete turn). To me, the key things are:
1. Committed and prompt players on both sides (like we had in the Mississippi game);
2. A referee (like Blake) who can prompt players to hurry up if they are taking too long (I recall I got such a 'hurry-up' in one game when a conference was taking too long);
3. Limits upon communication;
4. Conferences that do not get involved with precise discussions of small tactical manouevres and orders that reflect broad objectives [I think it's fairly pointless to go into fine detail as the tactical situation can change with the very next move and players could be constricted by precise orders that no longer reflect the strategic goals - and there can be another few hours of gameplay before you can talk again to rectify any problems]; and
5. Trust your team-mates, especially in terms of 4 above. You are not playing a one-on-one where you can micromanage every detail so everyone needs to 'play their own game' (within boundaries set down by orders) to let everyone maximise their enjoyment in playing an MP.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

I'll now get a coffee and watch the latest installment. It should be good as the action was really ramping up in the last one.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:12 pm 

Hey Blake, how do you find those good quality images to use for maps in your videos? Are they in the game files somewhere that I can't find?

Thank you!

5th Corps
AotP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:42 pm 

David Keller wrote:
Hey Blake, how do you find those good quality images to use for maps in your videos? Are they in the game files somewhere that I can't find?

Thank you!

You can go to the File dropdown menu in the game and click on Snapshot and it will capture the game board. That's one option. I also do a lot of "little tricks" when I moderate games and create AAR's using Powerpoint and Excel to cut, paste, and combine various maps. Microsoft's built-in Snipping Tool is also very helpful.

It took me a long time to get my maps where I like them. A lot of trial and error :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:51 pm 

Blake wrote:
David Keller wrote:

Thank you!

You can go to the File dropdown menu in the game and click on Snapshot and it will capture the game board. That's one option. I also do a lot of "little tricks" when I moderate games and create AAR's using Powerpoint and Excel to cut, paste, and combine various maps. Microsoft's built-in Snipping Tool is also very helpful.

It took me a long time to get my maps where I like them. A lot of trial and error :)

It appears Sir, you mastered it nonetheless, judging by the quality :o

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.