American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dogs on the Battlefield
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:12 pm 

Visited Stones River today and saw a long prominent billboard posting on the battlefield hiking trails about dogs potentially being banned from the NPS Battlefield. Maybe it will/would just be Stones River, or maybe all of them. People just don't clean up after their pets. The notice talked about the NPS Battlefield not being a recreational area but a battlefield meant for historical preservation. There are no doggie waste stations or garbage cans every 100 yards.

I totally get it. I am torn on the issue though as a dog owner. But having Fido lifting his leg on the monuments or cannons, and owners leaving crap in doggie bags laying on the monuments, is really disruptive and a drain on the park service employees to clean up. I am sure with some battlefields it is far worse than on others. I know Stones River is surrounded on all sides by mass suburban development now. I couldn't believe the growth around it in the last few years since I last visited. I would imagine places like Antietam and Gettysburg that it might not be as bad but I could be wrong.

Anyways, just an interesting observation. I think the NPS does all they can to address the issue but if they ever have to ban pets from the trails, I won't complain. I get it.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:24 pm 

Interesting post and have to agree with the NPS notice too. As a previous dog owner I too get it , whether a recreational area, park or battlefield site, we make a mess we clean it up ! Not necessarily a widely held or indeed popular view but the fact remains. Everywhere here is littered with notices to 'bin the poo', parks, recreation areas, suburban streets etc and attracting severe fines for non compliance and indeed, for my 'two cents worth' as it should be.

Btw, the ones who will complain the most are those who would not even consider cleaning up anyway :shock:

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:17 pm 

Sorry to hear of the issue Blake! Certainly can see it from both sides. Not a problem at Gettysburg or Antietam as of yet. Gettysburg is such a dog town anyway and most folks follow the regulations. Not always, but not enough of a problem to make a formal issue of it. Antietam it's often coming around the bend and folks having to leash their dog, as they weren't quite expecting a person. Plus there's horses on the trails in both parks, so might be harder to get a dog poop ban in place.... :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:28 am 

It is always the owners. I have 3 dogs and I am amazed by how many people do not clean up after their dog in my own subdivision. I have bags attached to the leash and do not see why everyone cannot do this. It is just part of owning a dog.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:56 am 

Doesn't matter whether the battlefield had stations or not. Our local park has cans every 100 yards or less and signs everywhere to pick up after your dog but you still have to watch where you walk. Bad enough when the dog goes in the grass but I often see a pile on the trails the city put in. Same thing at the fenced in dog park where you can let the dog run free but you have to watch where you walk. Have had a dog all my life, clean up my own yard every day weather permitting and wouldn't do less when I take the dog for a walk.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP