American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:24 pm 

Josh Jansen wrote:
Didn't realize it was real-time, not a fan of that either. WEGO doesn't necessarily bother me, but I'm not interested in "twitchy" games anymore.

I own WinE and WitE2, but not WitW. I find that even though it seems super complicated, you don't need to make it so. You can dive into every weapon and support unit if you want, or like I usually do, just take the day one OOB and do your best. I haven't jumped into the "air doctrine" game of the WitE2 yet, but it doesn't appear to be overly complicated. I'm a fan. Its accessible enough without being "beer and pretzels" in my opinion.

Josh, FoF is WeGo, not RT, so many games so little time :lol:

I noted your post elsewhere about Crown of Glory, Emperors Edition, and checked it out, definitely sounds strategic with tactical battles but a steep learning curve per the reviews. On that note, War & Peace by Avalon Digital is also currently on sale on Steam, although not greatly reduced, not particularly expensive anyway, but.....it is a direct port of the all time classic board game of the same name by Avalon Hill. It's definitely on my to get list !

Army of Tennessee

Make my enemy brave and strong, so that if defeated, I will not be ashamed.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:35 pm 

Hey, thanks for noticing. Didnt know you played the Napoleonics as well! What Im gathering and didnt realize is that Crown and FoF are based off the same system. Probably gonna try them out, why not? On sale.

Thanks for the tip on War and Peace. However, I dont use steam, not a fan of that lack of ownership of the games, but thats for a different conversation and over drinks ;)

Appreciate the insight though, Sir!

CSA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:34 am 

I'd recommend Crown of Glory & FoF! I've enjoyed them over the years and the learning curve is not as steep as other games of their kind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:41 pm 

Thanks Scott, the new Crown of Glory, Emperor's Edition looks good.

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:31 pm 

Josh Jansen wrote:
Have either of you played Forge of Freedom? Its on sale and Im considering it.

Quaama: Have you played War in the East 2 yet?

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I somehow overlooked your post [I only noticed it when I saw a new post in this thread and went back to see where I last visited it].

Yes, I have Forge of Freedom but haven't played it for some time as I notice it's not on my computer which I bought in June this year (just on an external hard drive). The AI is not great but it can be some fun. I have only played as the CSA.
It's a mix between IGOUGO and real-time. The strategic moves are IGOUGO while the battles are real-time. [Note: From memory you need to select 'playing the battles yourself' in order to play them or the AI does a calculation on who wins.] You should have a much better chance of winning the battles if you play them (it increases the length of the game) because the AI Generals are not too bright. The battles are fun because it's a good 'miniatures experience' and smoke is even considered (obscures visibility) but they do not represent real battlefields (they are generic maps based upon where they are fought and the time of year).
Strategically I usually send Lee, and a couple of other well-rated Generals, to the west to secure the Mississippi then head north. That often causes me to lose Virginia by 1864 but by that stage I am advancing in the far west and north from Kentucky. You'll probably lose Virginia over time, even with Lee there, due to the sheer weight of numbers (you'll lose it a lot quicker if you let the AI conduct your battles).
It's not a great intellectual challenge but it can be fun, especially in the battles (though they can be very time-consuming to play).
'Go West, young man, go West.'

I have not played War in the East 2. I have been tempted to buy it on a number of occassions but wonder if it is sufficiently different/improved from WitE 1 to justify the expense. I would appreciate comments on it.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:39 pm 

Josh Jansen wrote:
Didn't realize it was real-time, not a fan of that either. WEGO doesn't necessarily bother me, but I'm not interested in "twitchy" games anymore.

I own WinE and WitE2, but not WitW. I find that even though it seems super complicated, you don't need to make it so. You can dive into every weapon and support unit if you want, or like I usually do, just take the day one OOB and do your best. I haven't jumped into the "air doctrine" game of the WitE2 yet, but it doesn't appear to be overly complicated. I'm a fan. Its accessible enough without being "beer and pretzels" in my opinion.

I find WitW hard, very hard, to win as the Axis. I can 'win' the separate Italian campaign but not the full War in the West. The reason is Allied airpower, it is incredible. True to life but truly staggering. It must be winnable somehow through a thorough study of air doctrine and application of strategies/tactics for it but that's not a great area of interest to me (I prefer it to be more abstract, like WitE). WitW is an extremely challenging game to play as the Axis; I suspect it would be very easy if you played as the Allies.

First Corps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:43 pm 

Quaama wrote:
Josh Jansen wrote:
Have either of you played Forge of Freedom? Its on sale and Im considering it.

Quaama: Have you played War in the East 2 yet?

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I somehow overlooked your post [I only noticed it when I saw a new post in this thread and went back to see where I last visited it].

Yes, I have Forge of Freedom but haven't played it for some time as I notice it's not on my computer which I bought in June this year (just on an external hard drive). The AI is not great but it can be some fun. I have only played as the CSA.
It's a mix between IGOUGO and real-time. The strategic moves are IGOUGO while the battles are real-time. [Note: From memory you need to select 'playing the battles yourself' in order to play them or the AI does a calculation on who wins.] You should have a much better chance of winning the battles if you play them (it increases the length of the game) because the AI Generals are not too bright. The battles are fun because it's a good 'miniatures experience' and smoke is even considered (obscures visibility) but they do not represent real battlefields (they are generic maps based upon where they are fought and the time of year).
Strategically I usually send Lee, and a couple of other well-rated Generals, to the west to secure the Mississippi then head north. That often causes me to lose Virginia by 1864 but by that stage I am advancing in the far west and north from Kentucky. You'll probably lose Virginia over time, even with Lee there, due to the sheer weight of numbers (you'll lose it a lot quicker if you let the AI conduct your battles).
It's not a great intellectual challenge but it can be fun, especially in the battles (though they can be very time-consuming to play).
'Go West, young man, go West.'

I have not played War in the East 2. I have been tempted to buy it on a number of occassions but wonder if it is sufficiently different/improved from WitE 1 to justify the expense. I would appreciate comments on it.

I second Paul's question above. WitE 2 is currently on sale at Matrix/Slitherine @ -30%, WitE 1 @ -70% and Gog the same % but cheaper !

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:50 pm 

@Karl McEntegart & @Scott Ludwig

Crown of Glory looks interesting. Do either of you have any other comments, or tips, about it?

First Corps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:00 pm 

I know nothing of it other than checking it out following Scott's recommendation, it looks 'interesting though ! Right price, Traditional PBEM and IGOUGO, I hate RT games personally, whilst prepared to suffer WEGO. Now I'm in a 'Rock & Hard Place' SC ACW, Civil War II or CoG EE, ............so many decisions, so little cash :evil: :evil: :evil:

Army of Tennessee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:05 pm 

Well, I purchased FoF and Crown so I will let you all know. Thanks for the recommendation Scott. Ive booted Crown and I actually like the map and the interface seems easy enough. We will see.

Paul, I own WitE 1 and love it. I did purchase 2 earlier in the month after reading some of the upgrades and Im excited to jump into that soon to. So many strategy games, so little time :/

Glad you enjoy WitW, might splurge and get that one soon. Just dont like that it begins in ‘43. I understand that the Axis is probably not winnable, but if it were say a ‘42 start, maybe there would be a chance… I dunno.

I have a suspicion based on the WitE2 map (its size and design) that they are planning a War In Europe game…. That would be… well… awesome!

CSA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:57 pm 

Josh Jansen wrote:
Well, I purchased FoF and Crown so I will let you all know. Thanks for the recommendation Scott. Ive booted Crown and I actually like the map and the interface seems easy enough. We will see.

Paul, I own WitE 1 and love it. I did purchase 2 earlier in the month after reading some of the upgrades and Im excited to jump into that soon to. So many strategy games, so little time :/

Glad you enjoy WitW, might splurge and get that one soon. Just dont like that it begins in ‘43. I understand that the Axis is probably not winnable, but if it were say a ‘42 start, maybe there would be a chance… I dunno.

I have a suspicion based on the WitE2 map (its size and design) that they are planning a War In Europe game…. That would be… well… awesome!

Crown of Glory looks to have some similarities with Forge Of Freedom although expanded in areas like economies and other nations. The 'Quick Battles' and 'Detailed Battles' look to have identical game engines although with some different unit types.

WitW starts in 1943 because it covers the Italian theatre. Aside from other scenarios you can start in 1943 (full map with the action beginning in Sicily - if you do too well in Sicily the AI Allies land in mainland Italy [usually near the heel but not always]) or 1944 (Axis still holds Rome and a defensive line south of it - Allied invasion [not necessarily Normandy] seems to occur soon after you start, May 1944).
If you ever work out a simple method to minimise Allied airpower I'd love to hear about it.

I agree, a full War in Europe combining WitE and WitW would be "well… awesome!"

What are the main differences between WitE and WitE2? [If there is no significant differences between the two it doesn't seem worth me buying WitE2.]

First Corps