American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:29 pm 

Here is the response to our inquiry about Leader Points from WDS:

The Leader Victory Point calculation is in proportion to the scenarios Victory Point spread between Major Victory and Major Defeat.
Ex: In a scenario with 4000 points spread the same leader loss would provide 10 times more VP than in a scenario with a 400 points spread.

Be honest, how many of you are making this face right now?

I'm just as perplexed as many of you are. Hopefully we will get more details down the road. In the meantime, you may want to reconsider checking this optional rule.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:07 pm 

So, if you incorporate the recent change from v4.03 that says "Reduced the victory point multiplier for killed leaders to * 1.25 and for captured leaders to * 1.5" you get the following calculation:

[Leader Command Value + Leader Leadership Value] X Command Level factor X (1.25 if killed, 0.5 if wounded, 1.5 if captured) X ?The Spread? = VPs Awarded.

The question is 'What is The Spread number'?

If we use three known examples from Gettysburg we get:
Captured DL Heth
[3 + 5] X 2 X 1.5 X 'The Spread' = 156VP
24 X 'The Spread' = 156
156/24 = 'The Spread'
Therefore 'The Spread' in regard to a captured Heth is 6.5
Wounded DL Buford
[4 + 5] X 2 X 0.5 X 'The Spread' = 9VP)
9 X 'The Spread' = 104
104/9 = 'The Spread'
Therefore, 'The Spread' in regard to a wounded Buford is 11.55555 recurring.
Captured BL Devin
[2 + 5] X 1 X 1.5 X 'The Spread' = 155VP)
10.5 X 'The Spread' = 155
155/10.5 = 'The Spread'
Therefore, 'The Spread' in regard to a captured Devin is 14.76190476190476 recurring.

I can't see how you can have three different 'spread' factors in the one scenario so that either cannot be it or there is another factor (or other factors) at play.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:09 am 

I've been 'not thinking' about this for a while hoping the answer may come to me. I then thought that perhaps the Leadership Values needed to be given a 'Spread' multiplier but that didn't work either. I still got different answers.

I did unearth further mysteries that seem to indicate that the calculation being made to determine the VP value of a Leader value does not relate to the expected formula of:
[Leader Command Value + Leader Leadership Value] X Command Level factor X Type of Casualty (1.25 if killed, 0.5 if wounded, 1.5 if captured) = VPs Awarded.

I say this because we know from my earlier Gettysburg tests where:
A wounded D,B Gamble [BL] resulted in 104VP;
A wounded C,B Buford [DL] resulted in 104VP.

A wounded Buford should be twice the VPs of a wounded Gamble because Buford is a DL (multiplier of 2) while Gamble is a BL (multiplier of 1). Buford should also have received an additional bonus in the first part of the equation because he has a Command Rating of C (value=4) whereas Gamble's Command Rating is D (value=3).
Yet, despite extra value for Buford the VPs awarded for those two differently rated leaders was exactly the same!

Here's another odd thing from those tests:
A killed Union F,F Replace. [BL] resulted in 25VP;
A wounded Confederate F,F Replace. [BL] resulted in 25VP.

The same VPs awarded in each case BUT a killed casualty has a multiplier of 2 while a wounded casualty has a multiplier of 0.5. The Union casualty should have been four times the VP value of the Confederate one but they are exactly the same.

So, no answer to the problem - whatever the game engine is doing it bears no relationship to the games' own formula. I can only repeat my recommendation in the 'Victory Points for Leader Casualties ERROR' thread which said:
"to avoid a severe unbalancing of games under the current version people MUST deselect 'Optional Rule Victory Points for Leader Casualties'."

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia