American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Civil War Technology
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:44 am 

Hi!

Not having obtained a copy of Campaign Peninsula yet - I'm curious if the following advances in Aggressive Warfare have been included?

1. Ager’s "Coffee Mill" Gun

Often confused with the Gatling Gun, the Ager’s Coffee Mill Gun, designed by Wilson Ager, was a multi-cylinder, hopper-fed rapid fire weapon of small-arm caliber. It was not, strictly speaking, a machine gun, as it was powered by an external hand crank.

Several Union units acquired these guns enroute to the Peninsula, including the 56th New York Volunteers. The Ager’s Guns were first used at Lee’s Mill during the Warwick-Yorktown Siege. While stationed near Warwick Court House, Private Patrick Lyons of the 2nd Rhode Island witnessed "a Gatling [sic] gun go to the front; this kind of gun is capable of being fired very rapidly which gives it the name of the Corn Sheller and is very destructive against a body of infantry."

2. Balloons

Jack LaMountain had already achieved fame in late July 1861 when he launched his balloon to observe the Confederate positions around Hampton Roads. Professor Lowe, however, had more political connections and was named the Chief Aeronaut of the Army of the Potomac. Lowe stationed one of his balloons, "Intrepid," near Yorktown. Flights became a familiar sight, with Brigadier General Fitz-John Porter taking several trips above the lines. During one of his flights, the balloon’s moorings slipped and Porter drifted over the Confederate works, but fortunate winds blew him back for a safe landing behind the Union lines. Despite this mishap, Porter’s engineers used the "Intrepid" and the "Constitution," at Warwick Court House (now the city of Newport News) for mapmaking duties. Lowe even affixed a telegraph to his balloon so he could immediately communicate important information to the ground.

The Confederates responded not only with artillery fire, but also with their own balloon. It was a roughly made hot air device commanded by Captain Randolph Bryan of Magruder’s staff. Several flights were made from Lee Hall, Wynne’s Mill and Yorktown to observe the Federal siege preparations. The CSS Teaser was also used as an "aircraft carrier" to launch the Confederate balloon from the James River.

3. Land Mines

The first use of land mines in warfare occurred when the Confederates evacuated their Warwick-Yorktown Line. Brigadier General Gabriel Rains ordered his men to bury 8– and 10–inch shells a few inches below the ground. They were primed with fulminate or with an ordinary artillery friction primer, and set to explode when stepped upon or moved. The "torpedoes" slowed the Federal advance into the Confederate fortifications only momentarily and Confederate prisoners were used to excavate the "infernal machines."

Not that I wish any great advantages for the Union - but it would be nice for us Rebs to havva few Mines! [:D]

Pat.

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
II Corps, Commanding.
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia,
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:43 pm 

"but it would be nice for us Rebs to havva few Mines!" - Col Carroll.

From what I've seen the Rebs do have a few minds, very few however. [:D] Not that I'm surprised, afterall a mind is a terrible thing to waste. [:p]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:31 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />"but it would be nice for us Rebs to havva few Mines!" - Col Carroll.

From what I've seen the Rebs do have a few minds, very few however. [:D] Not that I'm surprised, afterall a mind is a terrible thing to waste. [:p]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No, no, no... a MIME is a terrible thing to waste... a mime... <pretends to be stuck in a box>

Just watch where you step, Cookie Boy. [}:)] [:D] [:p] [:0]

Regards,
Major Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><