American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HPS: Ozark" game.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:08 am 
Ok Im looking at this game thank you. It looks like a great game.

Got some questions though.

If Iplay as Stand Watie.
can i change my units names to Native American names.

My name is Gary G. Jones II.

Stand Watie

Commander of the 1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:30 am 

Chief Watie,

I don't know exactly what you're asking. In club terms, each officer is allowed to select a nickname for the 'brigade' he is assigned to. You could choose a nickname from among the various historic Cherokee units, if you like. There is nothing forbidding a change of unit nicknames later, although this is not encouraged.

If you're talking about actual units on the map, that's another thing entirely. It is possible, but it would involve altering the scenario files. Some of the club members are well-versed in how to do this (there is a Scenario Design Center dedicated to creating custom scenarios). Scenarios 'from the box', however, do not provide an option for changing the names of units.

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:34 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br />Chief Watie,

I don't know exactly what you're asking. In club terms, each officer is allowed to select a nickname for the 'brigade' he is assigned to. You could choose a nickname from among the various historic Cherokee units, if you like. There is nothing forbidding a change of unit nicknames later, although this is not encouraged.

Yes I know you can do nickname for the Brigade. Thank you

If you're talking about actual units on the map, that's another thing entirely. It is possible, but it would involve altering the scenario files. Some of the club members are well-versed in how to do this (there is a Scenario Design Center dedicated to creating custom scenarios). Scenarios 'from the box', however, do not provide an option for changing the names of units.

This is what i was asking about. I should of made it a little more clear.

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Stand Watie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:55 am 

Within the club there are two different levels.

The club level and the game level.

It is kind of like your setup.....the RPG is our club level and the CWG2 is our game level.

In the game level you play games that earn you points, promotions and medals in the club level. Also, within the game level there are hundreds and hundreds of units to move, similar to CWG2, but somewhat more involved. These units names can be changed, just like in CWG2. Here you can create Stand Watie's historic commands.

The club level it is asked that you use your real name Gary G. Jones II when you join the club. You will be given Command of a Brigade which is for club level things only. You can have a nickname for your brigade like "Mounted Cherokee Rifles". Here it has nothing to do with the game except for the things you can earn when you play games.

So that is a brief explanation of how we work.

<center>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/"]<b>Colonel Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Commanding Officer
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/ANV"]Army of Northern Virginia
[/url]CSA

[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/index.html"]Personal Command Tent[/url]

For the Glory of Virginia!!</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:05 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Scott Ludwig</i>
<br />Maybe this would help:

Within the club there are two different levels.

The club level and the game level.

It is kind of like your setup.....the RPG is our club level and the CWG2 is our game level.

In the game level you play games that earn you points, promotions and medals in the club level. Also, within the game level there are hundreds and hundreds of units to move, similar to CWG2, but somewhat more involved. These units names can be changed, just like in CWG2. Here you can create Stand Watie's historic commands.

The club level it is asked that you use your real name Gary G. Jones II when you join the club. You will be given Command of a Brigade which is for club level things only. You can have a nickname for your brigade like "Mounted Cherokee Rifles". Here it has nothing to do with the game except for the things you can earn when you play games.

So that is a brief explanation of how we work.

<center>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/"]<b>Colonel Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Commanding Officer
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/ANV"]Army of Northern Virginia
[/url]CSA

[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/index.html"]Personal Command Tent[/url]

For the Glory of Virginia!!</center>

Scott thank I will say sorry for not using my real name i didnt know i had to. I did try to change it and i can not do so.
You and David did help me out with the Question though

Stand Watie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:52 pm 

Gary,

I got my first computer CW gaming experience through the CWG2 game. I tried the Sid Miers games too but liked the CWG2 game better. Then I found this place and I have never looked back. The Talon Soft and the HPS games are all done by John Tiller. It is an awesome game engine and as you can read here there is always a lot of conversation on what could be done to make them better. Of course there are lots of people with different ideas and you never know what might happen. Several of the developers of HPS are members of the club and they do listen to comments. All this to simply say, this is an outstanding club with outstanding people and you will really enjoy it as you discover more about it.

As to which game to start with, that is wide open to debate also. Campaign Ozark has some very interesting scenarios, however, Campaign Corinth has a lot more flexibility and there are MANY custom scenarios written for that game and more being written all the time. My personal favorite game is the recently released Campaign Gettysburg. It is nothing like the CWG2 game, It comes with over 300 scenarios and another 2000 [:0] that can be downlaoded! There are 5 huge maps: Gettysburg, Falling Waters (Antietam River area), Pipe Creek (South of Gettysburg), Gaps of Manassas, and Rapahannock. There is literally years of playing in this one game alone. It all boils down to what YOU want and if Ozarks is your preference, then by all means that is where you should start. However, speaking from personal experience, there is a high probability you are going to end up with all of them anyway! [:D]

I hope you have already started your sign up procedure. Don't worry about not having the game yet. Go ahead and get the formalities of signing up out of the way and you can do your training as soon as you get your game in. Welcome to the club and we look forward to having another honorable gentlemen fighting for the South and the glory of States Rights and honor! (Other kind of folks tend to migrate up to the Union side where they fit in nicely with their peers)[:o)]

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:04 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dradams2</i>
<br />Gary,

I got my first computer CW gaming experience through the CWG2 game. I tried the Sid Miers games too but liked the CWG2 game better. Then I found this place and I have never looked back. The Talon Soft and the HPS games are all done by John Tiller. It is an awesome game engine and as you can read here there is always a lot of conversation on what could be done to make them better. Of course there are lots of people with different ideas and you never know what might happen. Several of the developers of HPS are members of the club and they do listen to comments. All this to simply say, this is an outstanding club with outstanding people and you will really enjoy it as you discover more about it.

As to which game to start with, that is wide open to debate also. Campaign Ozark has some very interesting scenarios, however, Campaign Corinth has a lot more flexibility and there are MANY custom scenarios written for that game and more being written all the time. My personal favorite game is the recently released Campaign Gettysburg. It is nothing like the CWG2 game, It comes with over 300 scenarios and another 2000 [:0] that can be downlaoded! There are 5 huge maps: Gettysburg, Falling Waters (Antietam River area), Pipe Creek (South of Gettysburg), Gaps of Manassas, and Rapahannock. There is literally years of playing in this one game alone. It all boils down to what YOU want and if Ozarks is your preference, then by all means that is where you should start. However, speaking from personal experience, there is a high probability you are going to end up with all of them anyway! [:D]

I hope you have already started your sign up procedure. Don't worry about not having the game yet. Go ahead and get the formalities of signing up out of the way and you can do your training as soon as you get your game in. Welcome to the club and we look forward to having another honorable gentlemen fighting for the South and the glory of States Rights and honor! (Other kind of folks tend to migrate up to the Union side where they fit in nicely with their peers)[:o)]

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
I/III ANV
Thank you Lt. Gen. Don Adams I Signed up already Dont know what to do know i signed up in confederate area.

Stand Watie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:11 pm 

Gary,

You should be hearing from the commander at VMI, General Dustin Arnold, with a welcome and an assignment to a training officer. The training officer will contact you and let you know what will follow. If you haven't already made it to the club's main page, you can go there and read the club rules for the guidelines of how the club and games function. Hopefully you will hear quickly but sometimes it may take a day or two because of real life issues and members of the club. We are an entirely volunteer organization so people do get in a bind every once in a while. If you haven't heard from anyone at VMI in a day or two, you can also contact Lt. Gen. D. W. Mallory, the commander of the Confederate Army.

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
I/III ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:17 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dradams2</i>
<br />Gary,

You should be hearing from the commander at VMI, General Dustin Arnold, with a welcome and an assignment to a training officer. The training officer will contact you and let you know what will follow. If you haven't already made it to the club's main page, you can go there and read the club rules for the guidelines of how the club and games function. Hopefully you will hear quickly but sometimes it may take a day or two because of real life issues and members of the club. We are an entirely volunteer organization so people do get in a bind every once in a while. If you haven't heard from anyone at VMI in a day or two, you can also contact Lt. Gen. D. W. Mallory, the commander of the Confederate Army.

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
I/III ANV

OK sounds great. My thing is i would like to be a game designer. You know anyone i could talk to..
May be i could Help In a group here decide what they like done

Stand Watie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:28 pm 

Gary,

Your best bet for names of people would be through Lt. Gen. Rich Hamilton. Check out the first posting at the top of this board and follow the link there to the Tiller Con site. You will see names listed there of some of the game designers.

You might try to attend and meet some of these guys first hand. They can probably give you some good pointers.

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
I/III ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:34 pm 
<br />Gary,

Your best bet for names of people would be through Lt. Gen. Rich Hamilton. Check out the first posting at the top of this board and follow the link there to the Tiller Con site. You will see names listed there of some of the game designers.

You might try to attend and meet some of these guys first hand. They can probably give you some good pointers.

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
I/III ANV

Ok thank and while im at it ill email the VMI leader

Stand Watie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:01 pm 
OK Any one with Ozark If i write up a game plan can you play it out to see if its good. Im better at writing thing out then putting it on the bored.

If some one would be nice to reply with a yes ill write some up I got some battles in mined.

Thank

Stand Watie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:11 pm 
Stand Watie had Totals: Regiments: 11 Battalions: 8

Stand Watie