American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Campaign End???
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:33 pm 

What determines when a Campaign ends? (in HPS Gettysburg specifically) How many battles will you fight, or is it one sizeble battle, one decisive battle? Determined by casualty count? Just predetermined by strategic choices?

Lt. General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/AoP/

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:49 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by laubster22</i>
<br />What determines when a Campaign ends? (in HPS Gettysburg specifically) How many battles will you fight, or is it one sizeble battle, one decisive battle? Determined by casualty count? Just predetermined by strategic choices?

Lt. General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Boy howdy, he takes command of one little army and suddenly he thinks he's Napoleon! It's only 10:00 a.m., Jeff! Falling back does not equal retreat... [8D]

A few little successes and he goes power crazy... [:D][;)]

Regards,
Major Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:52 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by laubster22</i>
<br />What determines when a Campaign ends? (in HPS Gettysburg specifically) How many battles will you fight, or is it one sizeble battle, one decisive battle? Determined by casualty count? Just predetermined by strategic choices?

Have a look at the campaign tree in the campaign editor and you will see ... a campaign can be read like a book. [;)]

Basically you have, at each branch point in the tree, this:

- a decision for both players to make (so you have say two options for both sides, then you have U1 and U2 for the Federals and C1 and C2 for the Rebs);
- from the combination of decisions, a battle results (in this case, four options, U1C1, U1C2, U2C1, U2C2--each of these is associated with a certain scenario that often has exactly this code in its name, at least in Corinth and Ozark);
- a battle has five possible outcomes, obviously (Union MV, Union mV, Draw, Reb mV, Reb MV);
- for each outcome, the result is listed--either it takes you to another branch point, where the whole process starts from scratch, or else the entry reads "Union Campaign Victory" or something like that.

So everything that happens in a campaigns is a design decision predetermined by the campaign designer. What happens in the game--casualties you take, etc.--has nothing to do with it.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:57 am 

Let's see, 3 points to counter -

Alan, I could only wish I was doing this well in our campaign. Every time I think I have an advantage, you counter it nicely, and I'm left puzzling for what next. Bring on that next turn, I'm sure it'll confound me again![:(!][:D]

Dierk, your description is as I thought (although I'm not smart enough to know you can view the decision tree in the campaign editor. I get the feeling I could play at these games for YEARS and not equal the knowledge that the likes of you, Bill and so many others have about the ins and outs.)

Bill - your scope is what I'd like to see.

My opponent in the Gettysburg Campaign caught me off guard. He blew right through II Corps (Hate being outnumbered and not realizing it until it's too late to retreat, cause with disrupts and routs, he can move twice as far, so you just get gobbled up.) and instead of turning on III and V Corps, he just kept heading for Washington and the exit hexes with the bulk of his army. My cavalry did well, and III and V Corps, later supported by VI Corps and Merrits Brigade of cavalry took on AP Hill, and got the better of him. So casualties wise, I had a good lead, but the battle ended in only a Union Minor Victory because of his strategy to exit the map (over 20000 points exited the map!). By the time I realized this was what he was doing, it was too late to do much other than harass the rearguard with my cavalry, grabbing a couple of supply wagons.

I think both of us were playing as if this wasn't the decisive engagement of the battle, that we would be facing off again. It was only our 2nd battle in the campaign, and what fun is that![:D] I would love to have been able to see what that next battle would have been like. The AoP was bloodied, with II, III and V Corps seriously depleted, but much stronger with our cavalry (we gave out over 10000 cavalry casualties to the ANV troopers in the 2 battles) The AoP still had I Corps and others that hadn't even arrived on the field. The ANV would have been short on horse soldiers, but still in good shape otherwise. He had whole Divisions that hadn't seen fighting, just marched on through. Just seemed a shame to have played 68 turns the way we did and not be able to carry it forward to another battle. That's what I want out of the Campaign games - to command an army, and decide when to leave the field and under what conditions - or conversely to leave my opponent no other choice, if I ever get so lucky![:D]

Lt. General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:27 am 

"...instead of turning on III and V Corps, he just kept heading for Washington and the exit hexes with the bulk of his army."

Did ya think he was just in a hurry to visit the Smithsonian, or somethin'? [:D]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:10 am 

Al,

Given the lack of food, arms and clothing in the Rebel army, I think the museums would be secondary to the stores![:D]

Also, I had our troops puff up their chests and look much bigger than they were, with plenty of arty on the ridgeline to keep him thinking there was more of us in those woods than he could handle.

Lt. General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:36 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />We Rebs must always remember to bring along a few dimes for the parking meters when we go to Washington DC.

I hate to see a Yankee cop try and give my horse a ticket. Very embarrassing for that pour traffic cop!

LtCol. Peters, 3rd Brigade
2nd Cavalry Division, II Corps, AoA

Fun trivia:

President Grant is the only US President to be given a ticket for doing this on horseback:

Anyone know the answer?

Regards,
Major Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:06 am 

[quote
Fun trivia:

President Grant is the only US President to be given a ticket for doing this on horseback:

Anyone know the answer?

[/quote]

Well, I'll go with the obvious and say speeding. But knowing him, it could've been illegal parking or littering when he was tossing away all those cigars...

...unless we go with the <i>really</i> classical and say driving while intoxicated!

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "Yankee Thrasher"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:45 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sean Turner</i>
<br />[quote
Fun trivia:

Anyone know the answer?

Well, I'll go with the obvious and say speeding. But knowing him, it could've been illegal parking or littering when he was tossing away all those cigars...

...unless we go with the <i>really</i> classical and say driving while intoxicated!

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "Yankee Thrasher"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

[/quote]

You are correct, sir. He was caught speeding one night during his term, and given a ticket by a young officer who did his job even though it was the President. Grant was so impressed in his commitment to duty that he had the young man promoted, I believe.

If the President in question were Clinton, it would open a whole new arena of civil penalty to explore!

Regards,
Major Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><