American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:01 am 
Gen. Finnegan, CSA
Commanding, Dept of East Florida
February 20, 1864

Sir,

In the early afternoon today, the 20th int., my command detected that the Union expedionary force sent out from Jacksonville was advancing from Sanderson Station towards Olustee Station, where my men were well posted behind breastworks and protective swampland. Not being content to simply allow them to come on unopposed, my men have rushed forward to meet them in the open, wooded, and swampy terrain east of the station. As I hastily write this dispatch, the lines have extended north and south with heavy firing of rifle and cannon along the entire front. So far the major action has been on the Confederate right flank where a Union attempt to swing around our flank under cover of the trees has been met and halted for the time being by Confederate reinforcements. Union artillery superiority has unfortunately resulted in the loss of a couple of our guns, but our lines hold firm nonetheless and will continue to do so. If more men can be spared, however, we would certainly use them to advantage in driving the enemy from our sacred soil!

Your obedient servant,
Col. A.W.Lynn
Commanding, Army of North Florida

Regards,

Col. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA

Signal Corps, Assistant Editor

"The only accurate news is well researched history."

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:46 pm 

Only three battles remaining at the registration topic: we need CSA officers for Glorietta Pass, Resaca and 3rd Winchester.

Lt. Col. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:54 pm 
Sir,

After a long day at Spring Hill, the Union prevailed. Early fighting had the Union infantry and dimounted cavalry treat Forrest's boys roughly as the Federals advanced down the hill. The arrival of reb infantry late in the day caused the Union to fall back on the hill under the overwatch of artillery. There they awaited the reb assault which came under at dusk. Reb infantry was laid low in droves by repeated blasts of cannister as they came under the guns, but they came on. Fighting continued into the night with units fireing away at bayonet point. The Union line cracked after midnight and many regiments took to the hill and six guns were taken by rebel forces. But the boys in grey had exhausted themselves and as fighting died down for the night, Spring Hill remained in Union hands.

A well fought game by my honorable rebel opponent that ends in a
UNION MAJOR VICTORY.

Your humble servant,

Maj Gen Mark E. Wolken
Cav/XVI AoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:38 am 

Gentlemen!

It falls to me to sadly report that the CS forces at Middle Creek, have been commanded by Brig. Gen Marshall to abandon Spalding's Farm to the Union Troops under the command of the nefarious Col. James Garfield of the 18th Brigade.

General Marshal was left after approximately 2 & 1/2 hours of constant Skirmishing with a mere 37 Cavalry and 1 Artillary piece - minus ammunition, at his Command. A further 20 Cavalry and 493 Infantry remained at his Command, but were in such a Disrupted condition and - having initially routed from the Battle scene - were too far removed from the Enemy to be of any effective use to his Defence of Middle Creek.

A further 13 Cavalry and 891 Infantrymen had Routed from Piney Point and decided Him to retire from the Field.

Furthermore, the CSA had suffered losses of 119 Cavalrymen, 155 Infantrymen and 2 Guns, Spalding's Farm and were imminently set to lose Piney Point within the next 10 minutes.

The CSA position was no longer tenable and in this Officer's humble opinion, General Marshall could do naught else, but retire from the Field.

On a minor, but positive note, the Union lost 11 Cavalry Troopers and 181 Infantrymen in this Battle, but it will be small consolation to the Southron that the <b><font color="blue">Union </font id="blue"></b>has recorded a <b><font color="red">Major Victory</font id="red"> </b>against Our Noble Confederacy in Kentucky. [V]

My genuine Respect and Admiration to my opponent Col. Randy Hartwig, AoO. His Command and Control of the situation was flawless and worthy of admiration, regardless of the colour of one's Uniform. [B)]

Salute to the worthy Victor! [8D]

Pat.

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Brigadier General.
Carroll's Corps,(II)
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia.
C.S.A.Cabinet Secretary

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:37 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by HomerS</i>
<br />Chicago Tribune
this cub reporter is writing to you from the battlefield which is already being called Second Bull Run by many of it's participants. After one day of fighting there is a combined casualty count at greater than 25,000 brave souls. The carnage comes on the heals of aggressive Confederate assaults all day long. The Union troops, have been forced to give ground throughout the day with only sunset giving pause to the bloodshed. Both sides have dropped where they fired their last shots to get what little rest they could, with many choosing to dig crude trenchs for shelter rather than sleeping. All signs point towards another heavy day of fighting tommorrow as neither side seems willing to give up the fight just yet.

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
Army of the Potomac, USA!
"The Bucktails"

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sir;
it is my pleasure to report a Major Victory for the Union side in the battle of Second Bull Run. As stated above the first day was one of relentless assault all day by the men in Gray. The morning of day two stayed eerily quiet until about Noon when Longstreet unleashed a furious assault with two of his fresh divisions upon the Union left. These attacks made some serious gains in terms of ground and victory point until the tips of both divisional assaults were counterattacked and at least 7 regiments were forced to surrender enmasse. The spirit of the assaults was also sapped when divisionsl commander General John Bell Hood was unsaddled by solid shot from a Union Cannon. Both sides pulled back and reorganized for the one last showdown there had to be. With only minutes left till the end, the Confederates unleashed yet another massive assault on the Union lines but the boys in Blue, as they had done time and time again, held off the furious attack giving far more than they recieved. This commander would like to congratulate his opponent General Wadding on a brilliant plan which grabbed and maintained initiative throughout. But for a few computer generated rolls of the dice differently and this battle could have gone very differently. The final casualty counts reflect the intensity of the fighting with the Union Army losing 15,850 infantry, 75 cavalry, 27 artillery pieces and 14 field commanders as compared to the Rebel losses of 19,500 infantry, 725 cavalry, 41 artillery pieces and 11 field commanders. Huzzah for General Wadding but even more so HUZZAH FOR THE UNION![:D]

Major General Don Golen

Army of the Potomac, Union!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:50 pm 

CS LG Robert Harney has received the CSA 1st HACW Veterans Medal for his 100th turn of play in the tournament.

Congratulations General Harney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:52 pm 

US MG Don Golen has received the USA 1st HACW Medal of Merit for his great victory at the Battle of Second Bull Run.

Congratulations General Golen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:17 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by HomerS</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by HomerS</i>
<br />Chicago Tribune
this cub reporter is writing to you from the battlefield which is already being called Second Bull Run by many of it's participants. After one day of fighting there is a combined casualty count at greater than 25,000 brave souls. The carnage comes on the heals of aggressive Confederate assaults all day long. The Union troops, have been forced to give ground throughout the day with only sunset giving pause to the bloodshed. Both sides have dropped where they fired their last shots to get what little rest they could, with many choosing to dig crude trenchs for shelter rather than sleeping. All signs point towards another heavy day of fighting tommorrow as neither side seems willing to give up the fight just yet.

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
"The Bucktails"

Sir;
it is my pleasure to report a Major Victory for the Union side in the battle of Second Bull Run. As stated above the first day was one of relentless assault all day by the men in Gray. The morning of day two stayed eerily quiet until about Noon when Longstreet unleashed a furious assault with two of his fresh divisions upon the Union left. These attacks made some serious gains in terms of ground and victory point until the tips of both divisional assaults were counterattacked and at least 7 regiments were forced to surrender enmasse. The spirit of the assaults was also sapped when divisionsl commander General John Bell Hood was unsaddled by solid shot from a Union Cannon. Both sides pulled back and reorganized for the one last showdown there had to be. With only minutes left till the end, the Confederates unleashed yet another massive assault on the Union lines but the boys in Blue, as they had done time and time again, held off the furious attack giving far more than they recieved. This commander would like to congratulate his opponent General Wadding on a brilliant plan which grabbed and maintained initiative throughout. But for a few computer generated rolls of the dice differently and this battle could have gone very differently. The final casualty counts reflect the intensity of the fighting with the Union Army losing 15,850 infantry, 75 cavalry, 27 artillery pieces and 14 field commanders as compared to the Rebel losses of 19,500 infantry, 725 cavalry, 41 artillery pieces and 11 field commanders. Huzzah for General Wadding but even more so HUZZAH FOR THE UNION![:D]

Major General Don Golen

FHCW - 2ND Bull Run
Maj.Gen. Golen:

I appreciate your characterization of the fight. An enjoyable game all around. I was a might too aggressive for the size of my force and running out of artillary ammo before noon of the second day didn't help. I was counting on the Union skedaddle monkeys to run away faster and in larger numbers, but this did not happen. You apparently have mastered the Union's Command & Control aparatus keeping your units from heading back to D.C. in droves.

I wish to set one thing straight, as History requires an acurate record. I do not know who Gen. Wadding is, or if he even exists, but he was not on the field for this one. It was I who engaged you and should bear the responsibility for the loss of our brave Sounthern Soldiers. Just as you deserve the acolades for a Major Union Victory. I raise my glass to you Sir for an enjoyable and well played game.

Sincerely and Respectfully yours,

Lt. Gen. Rob Harney
3rd Div/III Corps/AoG
"The Pennsyltucky Zouaves"
VMI Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:48 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LGen Harney</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by HomerS</i>
<br />Chicago Tribune

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
"The Bucktails"

Sir;

Major General Don Golen

FHCW - 2ND Bull Run
Maj.Gen. Golen:

I appreciate your characterization of the fight. An enjoyable game all around. I was a might too aggressive for the size of my force and running out of artillary ammo before noon of the second day didn't help. I was counting on the Union skedaddle monkeys to run away faster and in larger numbers, but this did not happen. You apparently have mastered the Union's Command & Control aparatus keeping your units from heading back to D.C. in droves.

I wish to set one thing straight, as History requires an acurate record. I do not know who Gen. Wadding is, or if he even exists, but he was not on the field for this one. It was I who engaged you and should bear the responsibility for the loss of our brave Sounthern Soldiers. Just as you deserve the acolades for a Major Union Victory. I raise my glass to you Sir for an enjoyable and well played game.

Sincerely and Respectfully yours,

Lt. Gen. Rob Harney
3rd Div/III Corps/AoG
"The Pennsyltucky Zouaves"
VMI Instructor

[:0]Ouch, sorry General, I had just finished getting my rear kicked by General Wadding at Fredricksburg at the same time as the end of our Second Bull Run game.[:(] Thanks again for a great game. I'm just reading about Second Bull Run in 'Lee's Lieutenants' right now. In many ways I'm jealous that you rebs get to handle so many interesting characters. Not that the Union didn't have some great generals as well but they weren't as researched as you rebs are.

Major General Don Golen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:55 am 

With the Confederate Major Victories at Nashville and Jackson's Charge, the score is:

<font color="red">CSA 1022</font id="red">
<font color="limegreen">USA 1414</font id="limegreen">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:11 am 

Col. Lajoie, Sir,

Col McDonald and myself have started the battle of Glorietta Pass.

BG. Bill Goodman
5th Brigade
III Division
III Corps, ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:25 pm 

Hurrah !!! Major victory for the South at Rocky Face Ridge...

If the Confederates win the battles of Murfreesboro and Chickamauga, everything is possible !!![:p]

<font color="red">CSA: 1142</font id="red">
<font color="limegreen">USA: 1414</font id="limegreen">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:15 pm 
Report from the Department of North Florida:

February 21, 1864

Sirs,

It is with great joy and utmost relief that I am able to report a great Rebel victory in Florida near Ocean Pond and Olustee Station. Yesterday afternoon on the 20th inst. my advance skirmishers two miles east of Olustee encountered Union columns advancing from their camp to the East at Sanderson. I was notified by the commander of those skirmishers, from the 2nd Florida cavalry, that strong positions could be held where the wagon road and railroad had to cross a difficult swampy area. Though we had constructed strong fortification at Olustee, I decided to advance and meet the enemy before they came closer and only use the Olustee works if forced to fall back.

Our reinforcements advanced with haste, arriving at the designated position in sufficient numbers only minutes before the Union launched their attacks - from the wagon road to the north and the railroad to the south. Heavy skirmishing continued as both sides fed more men into the battle, but the swampy terrain proved impassible for the attacking enemy, and they were forced instead to try to pass by our flanks. On the north this was defeated by Colquit's brigade, who had only to defend a stretch of some 300 yards of pine woods with deep swamp on either side. The Union infantry made multiple attempts upon this line, but Colquit's brave men stolidy heald their ground through nightfall, leaving many brave Union soldiers dead and wounded in front of their lines.

The right flank was held by Harrison's brigade, and though hard pressed and nearly turned by the enemy, they were able to shift sufficient numbers so as to break the Union assault and then counter-attack, sweeping the enemy before them. The enemy line turned, Harrison's victorious men were then able to sweep by the left wheel into the Union rear and capture over 1,000 prisoners. As night fell the Union line was untennable and they retired in complete disorder in the darkness back towards Jacksonville.

Due to the highly fatigued and disorganised nature of our troops after their victory we were unable to follow them very far as darkness fell, but will begin an earnest pursuit at dawn this morning. I have time only to pen these few lines as my staff prepares the orders for the day. May God bless our efforts and give us opportunity to vanquish these people from our sovereign shores once and for all.

I am your humble servant,

Brig. Gen. Alan Lynn
Commanding, Dept. of North Florida

Major Victory for the Confederates at Olustee. Beef will continue to move north to feed our other armies.

Regards,

Brig. Gen. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:37 pm 

CS Lt.Gen. Tony Hill has received the CSA 1stHACW Medal of Merit for his brilliant victory at Rocky Face Ridge.

Congratulations, Sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:38 pm 

US Col. Darren McDonald has received the USA 1stHACW Veterans Medal for his 100th of play in the tournament.

Congratulations, Sir.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next