American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:25 pm 

A new battle is now in play: CS Col. Patrick Carroll is fighting at Dunagin's Farm against US Col. Randy Hartwig.

US Maj. Gen. John Corbin's troops are trying to capture Fort Henry defended by a garrison under CS Maj. Harold Lajoie.

The Fort Donelson (Day 3) is now open at the Opponent Finder Section of the Tavern.
CS 032 FD_Day3 (Hist) / 20 turns / 32 points for the 1st HACW.

The Fort Donelson (Day 4- Breakout) is also open:
CS 033 FD_Day4 Breakout (Hist) / 33 turns / 32 points for the 1st HACW.

Maj. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:09 am 
SUH <SALUTE>,

Regretfully I must report that BG Longstreet has been killed at Blackburns Ford. He led a sucessful melee against several batteries of union arty and was killed in their counterfire. One bat was forced to retreat and 2 guns were captured. Gen Longstreets leadership will be greatly missed as we continue our efforts to extract the Yankee aggressor from our midst.

Current victory level is still a draw. Gen Golen is putting up a valient effort, but I think we surprized him by crossing the Ford and going after his guns.

The Battle at Belmont continues also still a draw. We have mangaged to destroy 1 gun on one of teh gunboats.

The battle at Lexington rages on and has become quite a bloody affair. The union still hold the inner VHs but we now have the outer ring and he is pinned. We have doen this at great cost in men. The Union is currently out of arty ammo so that makes it more bearable. Current victory level is Reb minor Defeat.

To the Confederacy,

CPT D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA
http://users.adelphia.net/~sapper99/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:38 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harold Lajoie</i>
<br />We saw federals soldiers on the other side of the Tennessee River. They don't seem to know how to navigate on boats. I wrote the instructions on a cannonball and sent it to the yankees with a 10in columbiad.

Maj. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Major Lajoie,

I do admire your chivalry, sir, and I know we Southern gentlemen always believe in giving our enemies a fair fight, but providing the enemy with vital logistical information is <i>probably </i>going a bit further than honor requires.

Continue with the Columbiads, but next time I suggest the message you send along simply say "Yankees Go Home!" [:D]

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:10 pm 

Camp Bacon.
Boonville.
Missouri.
June 17th, 1861
12:40 P.M.

General Price Sir!

It is my pleasure to make a continuance of my Report to You, of the current situation at Camp Bacon, Missouri.

With this Report Suh, I am the bearer of News of Mixed Fortune for the Confederacy. Jackson and Marmaduke are handling the current situation well, but I fear at a terrible cost to our brave Missourians.

As I have reported earlier, Jackson dispatched Marmaduke in Command of three Companies - Cooper's, Cooper County and Charlton County - into the Woods Southwest of Adams' Crossroads. Here these Companies acted as roving Patrols of 100 Infantry each. After an initial skirmish, contact was lost with Union forces here, only to be re-joined an hour later with casualties of three to each side. The Charlton boys routed and were last seen heading for the Pilot Grove road, at a speed akin to that of Charging Cavalry. Marmaduke thereupon, decided to withdraw. . His purpose in Jackson's Strategy achieved to perfection.

For You see Suh, Jackson had taken account of the situation thus: The Federal Force was rumoured to be the stronger of the two, with advantages in Numbers and with superior Small Arms, Artillery and Supplies. To make a stand in the prairie before Camp Bacon or conversely, to fortify the camp further - making a "Final" desperate stand there - was to his conjecture, a Fatal Strategy. Rather, He chose to deploy his Men, utilising all available cover that the Terrain offered.

Consequently, Jackson deployed Marmaduke to the Woods, with a view to discouraging the Union from transversing these Woods and emerging in a Clearing hidden from sight of Camp Bacon. This would then give the Federals access to a track, which links the Pilot Grove Road with the Rocheport Road, thus enabling the Union to attack from the rear of the Camp.

Three Companies of 100 men each - Miller County Co., Morgan County Co. and Marmaduke's Company - were deployed in the rough terrain, along the banks of the Missouri. Great care was taken to hide them from sight of the Union Gunboat currently patrolling the River. These companies deployed in three Gullies. These same gullies, run from the road down to the River and are spaced approximately 125 Yards apart, along the length of the roadside between the Camp and the point where the Rocheport Road rises up onto the Camp Bacon Plain. At the instant that Marmaduke engaged with the Enemy in the Woods for the second time, these brave boys of Ours took up their Final Positions in Jackson's Plan.

The remainder of Jackson's Troops remained concealed behind the Ridge in the middle of the Plain. Two Companies of 100 men each - Saline County Co. and Montigau County Co. - arrived to take their posts as Camp guards, from the Rocheport Armoury and Boonville Landing respectively. With Their arrival, all the components of Jackson's Strategy were in place and He felt confident of Success. Intelligence received of the arrival of Parson's Brigade, complete with 100 Infantry - Dills's Company- accompanied by two 12lb Howitzers, two 6lb Smoothbores and 400 Cavalry, reassuring Him that He had sufficient in Reserve to complete His task.

With the elements of His Strategy in place, the Union entered the Plain and was allowed to advance towards the Ridge unimpeded. As they progressed, Parson's Cavalry - Alexander's Co. {50}, Crew's co. {50} and Brown's Company {300} - galloped along the Pilot Grove to Midway Road, turning Northeast off this Road and along the Track there, to Adams' Crossroads. The Crossroads was re-taken without resistance and Parsons readied his Troopers to charge along the Rocheport Road and assail the Union Rear.

In effect Suh - here was Jackson's Strategy complete! The entire Union Force enclosed within a Confederate "bag" and Jackson held the drawstrings!

Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyons advanced a Lead Element of his Infantry to the Ridge. His entire Artillery compliment following and poised to Emplace upon the Ridge. Directly behind the Artillery rode Lyons and his Lieutenant - a Colonel Frank Blair - CO, Right Flank, Army of the West, with the Federal Wagon Train. The remainder of Union Infantry fanned out from the Road into the Plain, in Close Support of the advancing Artillery.

No Doubt Suh, Governor Jackson allowed himself a small grimace of satisfaction at the compactness of the Union Formations - it suited his Tactics admirably!

Without warning, the game was up! And the Confederacy struck. The Callaway County Company charged from one of the gullies, a'whoopin' and a'hollerin' "The Scare". Their target was the Union Supply Wagon and if possible, the capture of Lyons and Blair. After 20 minutes of fierce fighting, the Wagon was theirs! Lyons and Blair escaped into the bosom of their Infantrymen and would feign have changed their Under Garments, were it not for the fact that all Their clean Linen lay safely pressed in Rebel hands! Jackson fairly guffawed at the thought Suh!

Not all looked well for our fair Callaway Boys however. The Union surrounded them on all sides but that of the River and they were subjected to a murderous crossfire. This signalled to Jackson that His hour had come and He issued the orders for a General Assault on the entire Federal contingent.

The Union Artillery deployed en masse, where they stood and turned to face the threat from the Callaway Boys. Fortunately Suh, this meant that they had turned their backs to Marmaduke's Company, secreted in another gully, just South of the Ridge. Seeing their advantage, Marmaduke's Men charged and destroyed the entire Artillery compliment of six Guns.

The situation then became very confused, with volley after volley exchanged and Confederate charges following in quick succession. Of particular note, was a hurriedly scribbled note to the Governor from one of the Company Commanders.

During one of the melees, Lyons was - in full view of the charging Rebels - seen to leap from his horse and perform a Hornpipe of such dexterity, agility, speed and ability, that the men paused their murderous work to watch. Lyons then slumped to the ground and was carried by his Staff to the Rear - a hot, steaming, Confederate minie ball, yet melting it's way into the lard of his fat Yankee posterior!

As I write Suh, Governor Jackson's Staff attempt to revive him with copious infusions of brandy and Smelling Salts. Such was the Paroxysm of Mirth that befell him, upon reading the Company Commander's note, that he collapsed from his horse in a Swoon!

So Sir, from that moment of levity, I must return to the seriousness of War.

Union casualties stand at 98 Infantry, 10 cavalry, six Guns and one Officer wounded.

Confederate casualties stand at 243 Infantry, 61 cavalry, 0 Guns and no Officer casualties.

The Confederacy stand on the brink of a Minor Victory and with the Federals hemmed in on three sides and with egress towards the river their only Route to escape; a Confederate Major Victory appears imminent.

A Union Officer of Lyons' Staff has just this minute been issued with a Note for General Blair. {Presumed now in Command of the Federal forces, resulting from Lyons' wound.}

This Captain J. Alberti will convey our Terms to Blair for a complete Union Surrender and admission of a Confederate Major Victory.

I will in due course, report the outcome of these negotiations or the continuance of the Battle as appropriate.

I remain Sir,

A Staunch Defender of States Rights,
And Your Obedient Servant.

By my Hand,

Patrick G.M. Carroll
(Colonel)
A.o.G.

ADDENDUM: General Price Suh! As I hand this note to the Courier, word has reached Me of Capt. Alberti's return to Our Lines. He bears word from Blair, that the Union would prefer to continue at Our convenience with the Fray. Whilst They stare a Minor Defeat in the Eye, They would prefer to spit in that self-same Eye and fight Us to a Draw or a vainglorious Minor Defeat.

Sadly this means of course, that many more Good men of both sides will fall before the Issue of Camp Bacon is resolved.

C'est le Guerre! [:(]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:06 pm 

First Manassas
CSA Battlefield Report
12 PM, July 21, 1861

The second half of the morning has seen the battle on the Union left above Blackburn Ford steadily increase in tempo as both sides pushed more and more troops into the contest and some 12-14,000 troops for each side contested the hill Richardson held. Gen. Beauregard advanced on the position from the west trying to isolate it from the rest of the Union army. Driving through the woods to the edge of the hill shortly before noon. Then the Rebel army wavered, falling back just short of their objective. Luckily Jackson's command rallied quickly and returned to the attack just as Jones' brigade finally struck from the eastern woods with 2,000 fresh troops. Heintzelman's division folded under the attack with over one thousand men surrendering. Just when it appeared the whole Union force was lost some large union regiments that had retreated into the woods returned striking Jones in the rear. Now some 10,000 troops are in hand to hand combat on the narrow hill.

On the Confederate left Gen. Johnson has been executing a slow but steady retreat swinging has left back until his line is almost perpendicular to Bull Run with the right anchored just below Island ford. The delaying action has been working well and casualties are light but the Union has finally gotten there main force clear of the woods on pike. Shortly before noon they began a coordinated drive on the far left of the line easily pushing it back. It looks like the critical fighting will now shift to this area for the afternoon.

Casualties are heavy with over 9,000 Union and 5,000 Confederate for the morning fighting. Most occuring on the right above Blackburn ford.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:03 am 
Lexington - the Ring Closes

The Irish Brigade defending Lexington - are awondering where the rebs have gone. After a brief but costly attack this morning the rebs have moved out of range and sight of the defenders. The rebel commander Price has used his artillary to pound the defences - but with little success.

Both sides must be low on arty rounds as the reb guns have now left the field. If I can only convince the union arty commanders to stop firing at anything that moves - we may have a few rounds when the final push comes.

For now the Irish Brigade and Mulligan are enjoying a respite to the battle - but are counting out our rounds and ensuring all available men are on the line for the attack - that is sure to come. In the mean time barricades are being erected to make every square foot costly to the rebs.

Sir - to the union - may she stand forever - the gallentry of Mulligan's brigade will prevail!!!

Commanding Officer

Colonel N.Edwards
2/3/XX/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:00 am 
Lexington - The Ring Closes

The rebel army has after repeated attempts to take Lexington, quit the field. Casaulties for the rebs were high - as their attempts to take the rifle pits near Anderson House were repulsed, a second attack in the afternoon near our sally port was repulsed with devastating effect.

The commander - Colonel Neil Edwards has accepted the rebel offer to withdraw from Colonel Nick Kunz with the condition that all reb troops are to immediately withdraw from the environs of Lexington.

The final result for this tounament is Minor Union Victory.

The Irish Brigade in defence of Lexington - salute the gallent officers and men of the rebel army, and are saddened by the price paid by so many.

Lexington holds and remains in the hands of the Union, the future of our struggle is closer at hand as a Union Victory

Regards

Commanding Officer - Lexington

Colonel N.Edwards
2/3/XX/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:08 pm 
Ah must apologize to my esteemed colleage - as correctly point out is is <b>NOT</b> Colonel Nick Kunz but rather Brigade General Nick Kunz.[;)]

My apologies sir!!!

Commanding Officer of Lexington

Colonel N.Edwards
2/3/XX/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:58 pm 

Congratulations to US Col. Neil Edwards for his minor victory at Lexington (The Ring Closes).

This is the first result of the 1st HACW. The Union receives 12 points and the Confederacy 4 points.

Thank you to CS Brig. Gen. Nick Kunz for his valiant effort, these 4 points are well deserved, Lexington is a very tough nut to crack.

We now have something to put on the scoreboard !!! [:)]

<font color="red">CSA: 4</font id="red">
<font color="limegreen">USA: 12 </font id="limegreen">

Lt. Col. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:40 pm 

US Maj. Gen. John Corbin is reported to advance with 4,000 men in the vicinity of Mill Springs, Kentucky. The Rebels are fortifying in this area for more than a week now. CS Lt. Col. Harold Lajoie is in command of the Confederate troops.

The New Madrid scenario is now open.
This Campaign Shiloh scenario ID is:
CS 122 NM_Battle of New Madrid / 40 turns / 16 points for the 1st HACW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:16 pm 

Fort Henry, February 6, 1862.

12:20 (turn5): McClernand's column was ambushed at the ford, lots of casualties for the Union. USN Flag Officer Foote's gunboats are pounding Fort Henry at close range, light casualties for the rebels.

We saw federals soldiers on the other side of the Tennessee River. They don't seem to know how to navigate on boats. I wrote the instructions on a cannonball and sent it to the yankees with a 10in columbiad.

14:00 (turn 10): The Federals tried to capture Fort Henry by the northern approach. CS Brig. Gen. Heiman is defending the fort with success so far. Hundreds of Union soldiers are down near the wall of the Fort, a very bloody assault with no result. The defenders suffered many casualties due to the naval bombardment at close range of the federal gunboats.
US McClernand's men are trying to cross the abatis east of the Fort but they are delayed by CS Brig. Gen. Drake's brigade.
The CSA will try to hold for the major victory but the last two turns will be very intense and anything could happened in this awful bloodbath.

14:40 (end of scenario): The Confederate Flag is still floating over Fort Henry !
We lost 715 men, mainly by the powerful naval bombardment of the Federal gunboats. CS Brig. Gen. Heiman was injured defending the walls of the Fort against the desperate assaults of the Union infantry. The enemy lost 1987 men; US Brig. Gen. C. Smith and US Col. Morgan are severely wounded. An unidentified US Colonel is also reported to be KIA.
The column of US Brig. Gen. McClernand never reach the Fort, as they were succesfully delayed by CS Col. Drake's brigade. The assaults against the Fort were made by US Brig. Gen. C. Smith's division. They charged valiantly but were decimated by musket and close range artillery fire.
We must report that the Union gunboats represent a great danger for our river fortifications. Even is fire was exchanged at very close range, we only lightly damaged two of them. The gunboats destroyed nine of our heavy guns and caused heavy casualties on the garrison defending the Fort.

The final result is CSA Major Victory (rebel 501 points).
The Confederacy receives 16 points for this scenario.

The updated 1st HACW score is:
<font color="red">CSA: 20</font id="red">
<font color="limegreen">USA: 12</font id="limegreen">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:28 pm 

US Major General Pete Keller is presently attacking the rebel fortifications protecting the port of New Bern, NC, with more than 10,000 men. CS Lt. Col. Harold Lajoie is in command of the Confederate forces in this sector.

CS Brig. Gen. Nick Kunz and US Col. Neil Edwards will fight the Battle of Pea Ridge.

CS Brig. Gen. Ted Huffman will meet US Lt. Col. Dermot Gavin at Roanoke Island, NC.

Two new scenarios are now open at the Opponent Finder section (1st HACW- registration topic).

1st Kernstown / 15 turns / 12 points for the HACW.

This scenario is an ACWCO custom (BGBR mod)
First Kernstown Historical-pbm.scn
http://www.acwgc.org/acwco/kernstown1.asp

Apache Canyon / 12 turns / 4 points for the HACW.

This scenario is an ACWCO custom from Glorietta Pass (BGS mod).
Apache Canyon-H-12.scn
http://www.acwgc.org/acwco/glorieta%20pass.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:19 am 
Belmont, 2:40 PM November 7th, 1861

SIR,

It is with my deepest regret that I must inform you that the battle at Belmont does not go well for us. While we have repulsed the Yankee aggressor time and again, and Belmont is still in our hands I fear our forces have been decimated. Causalities have been very high for us as the Yankee gunboats wreak havoc on us, out of range of our shore batteries.

BG Scott Schlitte has realized his victory and is now pulling back his forces. As we give chase there seems little hope that we can kill enough of them to salvage even a draw.

Two Regiments have taken to the river in hopes of capturing the Yankee VH. It is defended by only 40 CAV and should be easily taken if we can get there in time.

So, Belmont remains in Confederate hands, however her defenses have been brutally torn apart.

Respectfully,

CPT D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:43 pm 

Battle of New Bern, NC. March 14, 1862.

Turn 10:

The Union troops, lead by MG Pete Keller, launched a massive assault on the southern fortifications defending New Bern. The Federals were delayed by the abatis and we received them with heavy fire. But they outnumbered us at least 3 to 1 and their numerical superiority makes the difference so far. Our defensive line was overwhelmed and we are now retreating toward the city. All our artillery is safe but the casualties in infantry and cavalry are heavy.

I don't see how we can reverse the situation, so I'm sending the order to prepare for an immediate evacuation of New Bern and the destruction of all valuable material that we can't transfered to safety in the rear.

This is a sad day for the Confederate Army but we will regroup and strike the enemy in a very near future.

Turn 11: US Maj. Gen. Keller have accepted the termination bid, this is a USA Major Victory.

The 1st HACW score is:
<font color="red">CSA 20</font id="red">
<font color="limegreen">USA 32</font id="limegreen">

Your humble servant,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:17 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.H.Smith</i>
<br />Belmont, 2:40 PM November 7th, 1861

SIR,

It is with my deepest regret that I must inform you that the battle at Belmont does not go well for us. While we have repulsed the Yankee aggressor time and again, and Belmont is still in our hands I fear our forces have been decimated. Causalities have been very high for us as the Yankee gunboats wreak havoc on us, out of range of our shore batteries.

BG Scott Schlitte has realized his victory and is now pulling back his forces. As we give chase there seems little hope that we can kill enough of them to salvage even a draw.

Two Regiments have taken to the river in hopes of capturing the Yankee VH. It is defended by only 40 CAV and should be easily taken if we can get there in time.

So, Belmont remains in Confederate hands, however her defenses have been brutally torn apart.

Respectfully,

CPT D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for these interesting reports. In playtesting the Confederates have the advantage. Were the Confederate too close to the rivers edge with Union gunboats shooting at point blank range? If you have a file, send me one.

richardw@multipro.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next